Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fresh Air Exhaust (FAE) opinions?

wakesetter8796

22 minutes ago, Hogy said:

I just installed FAE on my '07 Response.  The installation was easy and the boat is SUPER quiet which was the primary reason for getting it.  I have tried everything else to quiet that boat down and nothing seemed to get it even close to my old Mastercraft.   

Surf and wakeboard speeds are great, but get it up to slalom speed and above and it makes a huge roost out the back that will make it hard for skiing if there's any kind of head-wind.  I reached out to FAE to get a solution and haven't heard back.  

As far as performance goes? I would say it's small give at TOP speed, maybe 2-3 mph.  

So I just placed my order for my FAE and mentioned my concern of excess spray.    Christina asked if I would like to have a spray guard added and I said yes.   She also gave me the option to not get it and add it afterwards which makes me think it may just be an attachment vs. something that is welded on like the Malibu surf pipe.  

I have had mine for a few months and love it. The sound of the exhaust, or lack there of, is great.  I do notice a bit of "spray" at higher speeds maybe 20+. The spray is not major, but noticeable because without the pipe it is so clean back there. The majority of the spray is covered by the swim platform but is very noticeable when you are wake boarding or skiing. Again, only because there is usually nothing. A small price to pay for a great upgrade, IMHO.

If the wedge weren't there I wouldn't have an issue because the FAE has to go behind the wedge and therefore right at the back of the platform. I am thinking that I need to get a flap or someway to knock it down behind the boat.

15 minutes ago, Hogy said:

If the wedge weren't there I wouldn't have an issue because the FAE has to go behind the wedge and therefore right at the back of the platform. I am thinking that I need to get a flap or someway to knock it down behind the boat.

Good point, I don't have a wedge but could see that as a concern.

The FAE has been a great addition to our boat. No more fumes or steam coming from the boat while surfing. Yes there is spray at wakeboard speeds but it doesn’t affect the wake at all. Our FAE doesn’t have the flap that is supposed to reduce the spray. To me the spray is not a deal breaker at all. First pic you can see and smell the steam and fumes before FAE install. 2nd pic after install. No steam or fumes. 

D4FA5003-1F1C-4314-B774-2CF46054B8F8.jpeg

4FDBEB6E-64F3-489D-BE7B-0D7BFAC2E1D8.jpeg

FF0FC635-8053-47D1-917E-3423748F7BE9.jpeg

I just installed it on my 2017 23 LSV and it has eliminated the exhaust fumes and quieted the motor for the surfer, but the noise in the cabin is a little louder. It sends up a spray, but if the wakeboarder is back far enough it will not get in their way.   

I totally agree that this works great at slower speeds, but they advertise that there's no meaningful difference at all speeds which is absolutely fasle.   My point is that at higher speeds like slalom and BF speed it makes a huge roost.  Still have not heard back from FAE for a solution.

19 hours ago, Hogy said:

I totally agree that this works great at slower speeds, but they advertise that there's no meaningful difference at all speeds which is absolutely fasle.   My point is that at higher speeds like slalom and BF speed it makes a huge roost.  Still have not heard back from FAE for a solution.

Per my conversation with FAE the other day... they have a bolt on spray guard that they are perfecting.  The picture they showed me was one that was an early design...  it wasn't pretty but it works.   You can now order an FAE with a spray guard welded on for an additional $40.

On 31/07/2018 at 4:16 AM, Hogy said:

The FAE drops down between the wedge arms.

Not sure on which type of wedhe you have but I have the floating wedge on my 2011 RLXI.

The pics on the site below under floating wedh=ge is my install from Down Under

http://www.freshairexhaust.com/your-boat/malibu/

I just put one on a 2017 23 lsv and I love what it does for the boat (quieter for surfer and no exhaust). But, it causes my boat burn a lot more fuel than before. I typically fill up and we can go out at least two times before I start getting below the 40% mark and go fill up again. Today we burned through nearly half a tank (67 gallon) in less than 4 hours. I may have to remove it. :( I have filled up every time we have gone out since I added the surfpipe.

On 8/4/2018 at 10:10 AM, 67King said:

There's no more group buy discount thing or anything going on that anyone knows of, is there>

Looks like there is still a discount available to paid members in the resources section.  

On 8/3/2018 at 11:51 PM, bbattiste247 said:

I just put one on a 2017 23 lsv and I love what it does for the boat (quieter for surfer and no exhaust). But, it causes my boat burn a lot more fuel than before. I typically fill up and we can go out at least two times before I start getting below the 40% mark and go fill up again. Today we burned through nearly half a tank (67 gallon) in less than 4 hours. I may have to remove it. :( I have filled up every time we have gone out since I added the surfpipe.

Did you muffler delete?

On 8/3/2018 at 11:51 PM, bbattiste247 said:

I feel like 8GPH is pretty normal for an LSV if youre surfing hard.  

On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 11:51 PM, bbattiste247 said:

The factory surf pipe looks to be designed for less restrictive exhaust flow than the FAE.

• Like 1

I've had mine for a while now. I am still on the list to get the spray reduction plate.  I had to design a surf flap as the spray destroyed the wave otherwise, regardless of how I had the FAE adjusted. 

Muffler delete is another must. Too much back pressure on the motor otherwise, robbing power. I gained some top speed back deleting the muffler, so it is a real result. 

I like my FAE but there are sacrifices. 

I lost 1mph but I believe it has more to do with drag then backpressure. Didn't someone do a pressure test in the exhaust tubing before and after FAE install?

My main complaint and seeing others pics it looks as if it hasn't gotten better is their welder sucks. They need to hire a true welder not someone who can bubblegum weld. 
At the end of the day it is not even mandrel bends just stainless tubing and angled cuts welded together. 
At least the factory surf pipes use mandrel bends. 

4 hours ago, FatGoldChain said:

Any thoughts to which is better?  Surf Pipe or FAE?

I have the floating wedge so I believe the surf pipe goes in-between the floating wedge bars, not sure about the FAE. 

Surf Pipe

https://www.bakesonline.com/axis-wake-surf-pipe-2001-2017-boats.html

Surf pipe.  Just look at a picture of a FAE in comparison and you'll know all you need to know.  I like my FAE but the build could be nicer for sure.

• Like 3
On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 8:31 AM, cowwboy said:

I lost 1mph but I believe it has more to do with drag then backpressure. Didn't someone do a pressure test in the exhaust tubing before and after FAE install?

Back when I was considering fabing  upmy own, I was going to first mount a pipe (not connected to the exhaust) to experiment with spray and see if there was a drop in max speed.

I've had mine on my '99 VLX for about 9-10 years, and I love it.  Last year, I deleted the muffler, running straight pipes out the back.  This made it a ton quieter in the boat, and as a bonus, impeller changes are a breeze now.  One caveat is that I don't surf and rarely run above 25mph, so I haven't noticed any spray issues with mine.  I'm also wedge-less.