Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

DUMB STUFF I use to do, but thanks to the CREW, I'm CURED!

WoodyBC

I think this thread was intended to be past tense, but it's present for me. I just read all of the posts and admittedly, I've done a few of them. I'll humiliate myself with 2:

1) Power turns. I'll be honest. Didn't know about this. Not that I do it often anyway, but it does make perfect sense. I'll be more cautious from now on and educate those who pull me/drive my boat about it. Thank you! The funny (or sad) part is, I owned another brand before my Malibu. The salesman for tfarcretsam took me out on a demo and was doing a bunch of power turns to show me how "nimble" the boat was. I had no idea he/we were pissing off a bunch of other boaters. It was my first "real" boat so I wouldn't have known. But him being a dealer should've known better; or informed me that it's not polite to do on a normal occasion.

2) Children in carseats at boat ramp. Never thought twice about this. There have been a few times where I leave my son in the truck while I am doing what I need to do with the boat on the ramp prior to launch. Never crossed my mind if that parking brake were to fail that I couldn't get him out. Makes me nausiated to think about now. I really really appreciate this topic.

I learn something almost every time I log on to this site.

• Like 2

Sorta looks odd as you get started....but here's the idea, it's what my buddy does all the time at his lift.

I do this with 15-20 gallons from 5 gal contianers at least weekly and rarely spill any gas. I will add that if you fill up your tanks close to capacity like I do you will want to use a rag to create a better seal than just your hand like this guy does. He does use a thicker diameter hose than I do(thats what she said) which also speeds up the process. The tank I use do not have a vent on them at all. once the flow starts and you release the tube from your hand the space between the tube and opening provides enough ventilation.

The airtight/seal at the outlet is only when you sqeeze the gas can to create the siphon. after the siphon is going, the airtight seal is not needed to maintain the siphon.

I use a couple of the motorcycle poly cans/jugs with approx. 1 1/2 ID hose....I can empty a 5 gal can in about 30 sec.

Edited by happypappy
ahopkins22LSV

I think this thread was intended to be past tense, but it's present for me. I just read all of the posts and admittedly, I've done a few of them. I'll humiliate myself with 2:

1) Power turns. I'll be honest. Didn't know about this. Not that I do it often anyway, but it does make perfect sense. I'll be more cautious from now on and educate those who pull me/drive my boat about it. Thank you! The funny (or sad) part is, I owned another brand before my Malibu. The salesman for tfarcretsam took me out on a demo and was doing a bunch of power turns to show me how "nimble" the boat was. I had no idea he/we were pissing off a bunch of other boaters. It was my first "real" boat so I wouldn't have known. But him being a dealer should've known better; or informed me that it's not polite to do on a normal occasion.

Don't feel bad. I bet we are all guilty of this one. It is something no one really things about it until you become very passionate about the quality of water you are riding on. And I still do it. Some of my friends didn't believe me that I can spin our boat like a jet ski, sooooooooo I showed them. With warning of course and making sure it was not going to disturb or put anyone in danger. These boats are hot rods and sometimes is fun to drive them that way :)

Also, when we are skiing, if a friend or anyone I am pulling and they take a nasty out the front or any other fall that I know could cause serious injury I spin the boat and hustle back to them. Anyone who has been skiing a long time has either been hurt badly or seen it and no one wants to just sit in the water. I don't want have someone unconscious or in serious pain bobbing there like a cork as I bring the boat off plane, slowly turn and idle back to them. Like someone said above, there is a time and a place for this and I agree.

• Like 3

2) Children in carseats at boat ramp. Never thought twice about this. There have been a few times where I leave my son in the truck while I am doing what I need to do with the boat on the ramp prior to launch. Never crossed my mind if that parking brake were to fail that I couldn't get him out. Makes me nausiated to think about now. I really really appreciate this topic.

I learn something almost every time I log on to this site.

I strap my in-laws into a carseat at the boatramp hoping (and praying) that my brakes will fail. I tell them they are strapped in for their own safety and had to buy commercial sized child seats for them to fit.

• Like 1

My set up is just a hose with foam taped at the right spot so the hose reaches the bottom of the gas jug. Make sure the hose is not touching the bottom of the jug when filling or it will act like a vacuum and stick itself to the bottom of the jug and not let gas flow to the tank. When you get to almost emptying the jug, tip it on a corner and make sure the hose goes into the corner also. I can usually siphon all the gas out of the jug except for about 1 cup or less of gas. My hose is about the bigest you can shove into the gas filler neck. On my VLX I shove about 3 to 3 1/2 feet of hose into the filler neck almost to the tank because they used to have problems with gas backing up in the fill hose. I put in a fuel/air seperator but that only helped a little. The other boat in the pic has the hose go into the fill neck about 2 feet.

This is my set-up for fueling 6 gallons in 15-20 seconds without spilling a drop. The only downside is I can't fill the can through the tube, it splashes back with vigor. Don't ask me how I know.

post-215-0-59647900-1386959958_thumb.jpg

I have learned, from this thread, that I shouldn't scoff at the next person I see cranking a power turn. I'll just say to myself "what a shame they don't have hours a day at work to read TMC and learn that's not acceptable".

• Like 3

Courtesy plow. I'll admit to that. Now it's WFO or idle only when there is a rider nearby.

My wife used to do that, drove me nuts. Took her a solid summer before she'd listen to me telling her to stop

This power turn thing is killing me!! Please help me understand. Is it only bad if you are messing up someone's water? I enjoy a good high speed power turn on a rare occasion, gets the blood pumping. Of course I wouldn't do this if there were anyone around, I was close to shore, had newbies on board, choppy water. Aside from etiquette and safety of others around you, is there really anything wrong with it? If there is, please let me know so I refrain. To me, it's not any different than drifting a car around a corner. Pardon my ignorance.

This power turn thing is killing me!! Please help me understand. Is it only bad if you are messing up someone's water? I enjoy a good high speed power turn on a rare occasion, gets the blood pumping. Of course I wouldn't do this if there were anyone around, I was close to shore, had newbies on board, choppy water. Aside from etiquette and safety of others around you, is there really anything wrong with it? If there is, please let me know so I refrain. To me, it's not any different than drifting a car around a corner. Pardon my ignorance.

On an open lake where you aren't affecting others, do what you want. When sharing the lake, pulling a rider, ect it's rude and dangerous. If you have to get back to your rider in a hurry for an emergency or to get your boat between them and some dumbass in another boat/PWC then by all means do it. It's best to get in the habit of doing it only in emergencies. I'm having flags made up this year for my lake to remind people not to do it.

Edited by CJAY