Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

DUMB STUFF I use to do, but thanks to the CREW, I'm CURED!

WoodyBC

On an I/O sure. How do you get a DD to back to the left?

No....I am talking about an inboard....

All older Nautiques with their RH props back to the LEFT...LOL...

But seriously, if you understand how a boat turns, and how a prop works, and how a rudder works, you can understand how you can get any boat to back up in any direction.

Now I will agree that it may not be instantaneous like an I/O, but it can happen....

Here is the SHORT answer:

On our inboards, since we have fixed position props, the boat turns when the water goes past the rudder.....going forward, this happens quickly since the prop is forcing water past the rudder, but going backwards, you have to get the river/lake water flowing past the rudder without allowing for the prop thrust to over power the effects of the water passing over the rudder......I posted a few years back about inboard handling.....maybe someone else can find that post...it explains it in more depth....

Years ago, like in the mid 90's, I went from owning I/O's to inboards... I finally decided to buy two boats and get rid of the concept that one boat would do it all for me...

So, I sold my 21' Sea Ray CC and bought a 36' Gibson Houseboat with a single I/O and a 1984 DD Ski Nautique...

I was worried that I wouldn't be able to handle the 36' boat so I bought a boat in the basics of boat handling....Keep in mind I had been boating since I was a small child, actually had my own 8' little pram with a 3 hp outboard when I was 9 years old...so for me to admit defeat and buy a book was hard...LOL

Little did I know the harder boat to handle would end up being the 18' Nautique....this book ended up allowing me to UNDERSTAND for the 1st time HOW boats move and work under power....

The name of that book was "Getting Started in Powerboating" and was written by Bob Armstrong and published by McGraw Hill....best money I ever spent on anything related to boating....

In any case, I can assure you, if you spend a few hours with me, I can show you how to back your boat up in any direction...

Or you can just buy the book yourself and spend a few days out on the water and leave your pride on the dock and learn how to drive a boat all over again...like I did...

• Like 2

I used to NOT own a Malibu. Then I joined this site and BAM! six months later i had one in my garage.

Wow! I just joined thebillionairecrew.com. Keeping my fingers crossed. :D Edited by Oberon

I left my boat in the water for 2 nights during July4th weekend and being paranoid I closed all the valves that could possibly leak and let water in the engine compartment. The next day took the boat out forgetting to open the valves and the engine warning (overheat) beep started going off. Luckily it was within about 1 minute of starting it and I shut it down the second I heard it. Bad thing was, boat was new. Had it checked out and its fine, been running great for years.

Oh and over 5 years I bent 2 props :(

I almost bought a moomba, worse an outback. But the crew saved me

That still would have been better than owning a BRAND NEW. SeaRay, Bayliner, Chaparral, Four Winns, Caravelle, or any other I/O, now wouldn't it..... :tease1:

I left my boat in the water for 2 nights during July4th weekend and being paranoid I closed all the valves that could possibly leak and let water in the engine compartment. The next day took the boat out forgetting to open the valves and the engine warning (overheat) beep started going off. Luckily it was within about 1 minute of starting it and I shut it down the second I heard it. Bad thing was, boat was new. Had it checked out and its fine, been running great for years.

Oh and over 5 years I bent 2 props :(

Someone on hear stated they put their keys on one of the handles to the ball valves. That is something I learned. Now I can't crank till I look at a closed hose.

Someone on hear stated they put their keys on one of the handles to the ball valves. That is something I learned. Now I can't crank till I look at a closed hose.

THis is a great idea. Just leave yourself a note explaining where the keys are.

When I anchor I have an extra length of rope that hangs from the tie-off point. This piece is then tied to the steering wheel. Why? Because when you try pulling a skier with the anchor out it tends to create drag.

• Like 2

When I anchor I have an extra length of rope that hangs from the tie-off point. This piece is then tied to the steering wheel. Why? Because when you try pulling a skier with the anchor out it tends to create drag.

I had been contemplating a magnetic flag for the bow (to clip to the bow light) or something like that to remind the helmsman that there was an anchor out...I like this.

I used to own a boat.

Now, I just wait for invitations from the crew to roll in.

Do you show up with your tool set?.... :whistle:

Edited by JB-FOOT

Used to be scared to mechanic on anything so I would pay to have stuff done! Now I can do most of it myself thanks to the crew! It has even carried over to other items like my 4wheeler I just changed out CV boots on this past weekend.

• Like 4