Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Carpet Replacement Project

Cap305

Yeah, the newer carpets seem to be much more plush than my carpet. Or...perhaps my 10 year old carpet used to look that way in the beginning.

I wonder if the newer carpets that have a deeper pile are harder to keep clean.

• 2 months later...

So, we finally got a couple of decent weather days above 65 so I could apply the glue for the carpet on the flooring. All told it went fairly well. Made just one error in cutting the carpet where I'll see it. 1/4" where I'll fill it with carpet shavings later. Not huge. I DID put a 1/2" cut in the vinyl in the bow with my razor and I'm pretty sure the whole marina heard me go Ralphie from A Christmas Story (Fuuuuuuudddddgggggeeeee!). Here's a couple of pics of the glue layout and carpet install. I have all the seat bases and ancillary panels done and can install them all in one day hopefully. 2_zps8e22172e.jpg1_zpsb2d4cb8c.jpg3_zpse8b4e94c.jpghttp://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s595/4_zps23abaade.jpg6_zpseef50b64.jpg5_zpsb6f9da01.jpg

• Like 2

Santa's sleigh is loaded: 20140315_082450_zps1f4f9736.jpg

Couple hours later I am feeling much less overwhelmed. If I'd had more than 3 hours I'd have just pushed through and gotten all the vinyl back in and all the seat bases secured. It's amazing how much better it feels actually looking more like a boat rather than a shipwreck. Vinyl next then building the amp board.

20140315_110619_zps34c19649.jpg20140315_110629_zpsd51ed572.jpg20140315_121311_zpsf4b7607e.jpg20140315_121315_zpsbc4a3b49.jpg20140315_121317_zps3a790fca.jpg

• Like 4

@cap305: Excellent work, looks great! Does the 20 oz. carpet feel good & plush enough in your opinion? I also noticed doing a marine carpet search that there are several bass boat forums / suppliers with pretty good installation information.

@cap305: Excellent work, looks great! Does the 20 oz. carpet feel good & plush enough in your opinion? I also noticed doing a marine carpet search that there are several bass boat forums / suppliers with pretty good installation information.

Woodski, thanks. The 20 oz does feel great but I don't think it would be the best for use around the seat bases. One thing I noticed when doing the fuel tank and locker covers is that when you bend it 90 degrees in a tight location it tends to show the rubber backing more prominently than I like. You can fix it to some degree by ruffling the fibers up a bit. I opted not to get the 24 oz due to questions about it being too thick to able to tuck it under the bow seat fiberglass which is fixed in place. In hindsight I think it would have worked fine and probably have felt fantastic under foot albeit at a premium price.

So how much carpet did you actually order, was it 25' of each and you are good or what would you recommend ordering for lengths. I am starting on my 05 VLX now. Thanks for the thread and it turned out great

So how much carpet did you actually order, was it 25' of each and you are good or what would you recommend ordering for lengths. I am starting on my 05 VLX now. Thanks for the thread and it turned out great

Showstopper, I ordered 27 feet of the 20 oz Malibu from Overtons. I'll have approximately 3 to 4 running feet left over after the project depending on if I use it to wrap the amp board and sub box. I also ordered 15 running yards (8' wide x 30') of Ozite. I was surprised how much Ozite I used. The sides and seat bases use up more than you think. One thing you'll also want is any of the trim used to hide the staples. It's called "hidem welt" on the site I bought the Ozite from. I used a bunch of it to redo the engine and locker cover doors after I replaced the carpet on them. The old stuff was basically dry rotted. I may do some other seating bottoms at some point. Good luck with your project.

I see on the web site for the ozite that they only show 80" wide. Is that what you meant to say or can you actually get 8' (96")

Yes, sorry. 80" wide by 15 yards. Whatever you get make SURE you buy samples first and really compare them in the sunlight just to make sure they match to your satisfaction.

Alright thanks for the tips. I'm debating on doing this now since my interior is all torn out or should I wait till next winter cause summer isn't far off! Lol how long would you say it takes to remove all the carpet and have it all glued back in and ready to put the interior back together. The other thing I am debating is to tear up the floor carpet and Hotzy the sides and seat bases for now and just install the floor carpet as you really don't see much of the side carpet once it's all together. Thanks again

Alright thanks for the tips. I'm debating on doing this now since my interior is all torn out or should I wait till next winter cause summer isn't far off! Lol how long would you say it takes to remove all the carpet and have it all glued back in and ready to put the interior back together. The other thing I am debating is to tear up the floor carpet and Hotzy the sides and seat bases for now and just install the floor carpet as you really don't see much of the side carpet once it's all together. Thanks again

Do it now while your interior is torn out. The longest part for me was waiting till the temp was consistently over 65F since the flooring glue won't set right per the instructions. Interior tear out and carpet removal from the bases took the longest. Cutting can be done in a day or two easily. Floor dry fit and glue down about a day. Seat base recover about two days. I'd have been done fairly quickly if I'd have had the boat stored at my house somewhere I could control the temp. Mine is in a rack system 45 min away and I have to lug everything up and back. Figure three weeks or so for the work with breaks and such. Just my $.02.

Do it now while your interior is torn out. The longest part for me was waiting till the temp was consistently over 65F since the flooring glue won't set right per the instructions. Interior tear out and carpet removal from the bases took the longest. Cutting can be done in a day or two easily. Floor dry fit and glue down about a day. Seat base recover about two days. I'd have been done fairly quickly if I'd have had the boat stored at my house somewhere I could control the temp. Mine is in a rack system 45 min away and I have to lug everything up and back. Figure three weeks or so for the work with breaks and such. Just my $.02.

Well mine is in my garage so I can't use that excuse but I am still wiring and building my amp board. Need to build a sub box still and reskin all the seat cusions that I have taken off. Sounds like the hardest part of the carpet project is the walls and the little stuff
  • 3 weeks later...

That does look good, Are you at Holiday Marina? looks a bit like one of the docks there in the background of the past pic. I know the place well as I kept my boat there for two seasons before I moved to the other side of the lake. Your interior looks great too, was that redone as well? I would like to get rid of all my carpet too, but that might not happen anytime soon.

That does look good, Are you at Holiday Marina? looks a bit like one of the docks there in the background of the past pic. I know the place well as I kept my boat there for two seasons before I moved to the other side of the lake. Your interior looks great too, was that redone as well? I would like to get rid of all my carpet too, but that might not happen anytime soon.

Yup, jcon, it is Holiday Marina. This is my second year there. Nice marina and it's great having the Rusty Rudder right there for after boating entertainment. The previous owner had a bunch of the vinyl replaced before I bought it. I think there are a couple of the original pieces there but for the most part it's new. Are you over at Westport or further north now? I haven't gotten to much of the west/northwest of the lake yet.

Very nice Cap! Thanks for all your help on mine. Yours turned out great. What color is the carpet, is that marble grey or smoke?

It's the Malibu Marine Midnight color. Ozite color was Ash. Glad to help out and yours looks great also.

Yup, jcon, it is Holiday Marina. This is my second year there. Nice marina and it's great having the Rusty Rudder right there for after boating entertainment. The previous owner had a bunch of the vinyl replaced before I bought it. I think there are a couple of the original pieces there but for the most part it's new. Are you over at Westport or further north now? I haven't gotten to much of the west/northwest of the lake yet.

We actually bought a place on the water in Denver back in Graham Creek behind Governors Island so she stays at the house now. I probably spend more time at the Rudder now than i did when i kept the boat there. Its a nice cruise for us and its still closer than the stuff up north or the Port City club. If you see me at the Rudder come say Hi.

We actually bought a place on the water in Denver back in Graham Creek behind Governors Island so she stays at the house now. I probably spend more time at the Rudder now than i did when i kept the boat there. Its a nice cruise for us and its still closer than the stuff up north or the Port City club. If you see me at the Rudder come say Hi.

Ditto if you see me out and about. BTW, at the end of last year I happened to hit a cove just to the west side of the point on Brawley School Rd. between several little islands. More than likely I'll hit that several times this year depending on wind direction. Just wondering if you rode in that area at all and what it was like on weekends? Crazy as the rest of the lake or is it a bit calmer over there? We rode most of the year in the cove between the east side of Brawley School Rd and Isle of Pines rd. Good when the wind was coming out of the West but got crowded and choppy especially with an East wind.