Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Best Tower Speakers?

Dale974

I guess i'm looking at spending maybe in the 1000-1500 range, and then matching my amp rms to the rms rating on the speakers, so i realize the amp will cost more on top of that.

How about spending $1,200 for all of it?

http://exileaudio.com/store/index.php/hot-deals/demo-xm9-hlcd-speakers.html

http://exileaudio.com/store/index.php/hot-deals/demo-harpoon.html

Demo units with the same warranty as new. Hard to beat that.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

to the OP... first prioritize whether you want great sound in and around the boat or sound to the rider. Which is more important?

If sound to the rider, get the biggest baddest set of HLCDs you can afford and power them well.

If sound in and around the boat is paramount, check out the new JL tower speakers or the new exile 9" tower speakers with the direct radiating tweeter. They will sound better in and around the boat but won't have quite as much projection to the rider (fine for surf, marginal for wakeboarding if you only have a single pair).

So with some spare time, I did some calculations. The manufacturer and speaker model mentioned here, has this speaker advertised with an effective cone area of 44.65 in/sq. "effective cone area" is typically the diameter from the peak of the surround to peak of the surround, in other words, the moving parts, nothing more. With an effective cone area off 44.65 in/sq, i come up with a cone diameter of 7.54 in. Seems to be better then an inch shy of 9 in, doesnt it? So it might be 9" across the entire speaker basket, but the advertised 44.65 in/sq effective cone area tells the real story.

Responding to original question only....and restricting my opinion to only the speakers I have heard........and making choices according to what I like......

If you are all about sound quality in the boat or at surf range the JL Audio (Roswell?) is an easy choice. This is a warm speaker with no bad habits to apologize for.

Exile......I have only heard their XM7 and I have to say it was a step above anything else that was available at the time. I have not heard the XM9, so no comment. I have to say that the Exile customer service and the way that the company makes every customer feel special raises the bar so high that they have no peers. None. Nada. Hands down, I have seen Exile crush their competition (specifically Wetsounds) by going above and beyond.

Wetsounds.........this is a company that I used to love to hate. Probably still do, but I have to say their Rev series speakers are the ONLY HLCD speakers I could listen to for an extended period without feeling an absolute need to turn the music down. I have seen Wetsounds provide adequate customer service, maybe even a tick above adequate. I have also seen them duck and run from a problem that endangered boat occupants while offering a solution for a cost.

JL if sound quality matters. You will need four of them.

Exile if you like knowing that someone has your back.

Wetsounds if you need to get the rider into the groove at 80 Ft while avoiding most of the irritating habits of HLCD speakers.

So with some spare time, I did some calculations. The manufacturer and speaker model mentioned here, has this speaker advertised with an effective cone area of 44.65 in/sq. "effective cone area" is typically the diameter from the peak of the surround to peak of the surround, in other words, the moving parts, nothing more. With an effective cone area off 44.65 in/sq, i come up with a cone diameter of 7.54 in. Seems to be better then an inch shy of 9 in, doesnt it? So it might be 9" across the entire speaker basket, but the advertised 44.65 in/sq effective cone area tells the real story.

Wow took a little break from the TMC and what do you know, Your at it again, Come on MLA Give real input with out all this animosity, It's so refreshing to search other topics and get real Malibu Boat enthusiast input, Not someone who all they aim to do is try and discredit another company to push his Or Her agenda, Never really caring if they truly have the OP best interest at heart, Not sure why you are still allowed to post on here, I do believe you have extensive knowledge to share but when you continually Bash it really takes all your credibility away, Please contribute you might be surprised people on here might actually learn something from you! Instead your acting like a horses Patute..

Let me ask you this.

Wow took a little break from the TMC and what do you know, Your at it again, Come on MLA Give real input with out all this animosity, It's so refreshing to search other topics and get real Malibu Boat enthusiast input, Not someone who all they aim to do is try and discredit another company to push his Or Her agenda, Never really caring if they truly have the OP best interest at heart, Not sure why you are still allowed to post on here, I do believe you have extensive knowledge to share but when you continually Bash it really takes all your credibility away, Please contribute you might be surprised people on here might actually learn something from you! Instead your acting like a horses Patute..

Let me ask this. As consumers, are you 100% completely satisfied and content with manufactures advertised specs with zero validation by an outside source? Did you buy your Malibu by putting 100% faith in what the manufacturer told you, or did you seek outside info to validate the manufactures claims? How could you effectively compare your VLX to the competition, if that info is not somehow standardized? If your boat was listed as having 1200 lbs of ballast, you would like to know its close to that, right?. If your boat is listed as a 21 ft, you'ld like to know that that is the length of the hull, and not including the removable swim platform. This allows you as the consumer to do an apples to apples comparison. If you were looking at two 52" TVs, wouldnt you like to know they are both measured in the same fashion? . If by agenda, you mean dealing in specs that can be substantiated, then i'm guilty as charged. If I was questioning the advertised specs of BOSS Audio for example, would it still generate this same push-back from you and a couple others?

Wasnt it Ronald Reagan who famously said "Trust, but verify"? I would love to see a ruler stretched across this new 9" speaker. That would put any questions to bed.

Let me ask you this.

Let me ask this. As consumers, are you 100% completely satisfied and content with manufactures advertised specs with zero validation by an outside source? Did you buy your Malibu by putting 100% faith in what the manufacturer told you, or did you seek outside info to validate the manufactures claims? How could you effectively compare your VLX to the competition, if that info is not somehow standardized? If your boat was listed as having 1200 lbs of ballast, you would like to know its close to that, right?. If your boat is listed as a 21 ft, you'ld like to know that that is the length of the hull, and not including the removable swim platform. This allows you as the consumer to do an apples to apples comparison. If you were looking at two 52" TVs, wouldnt you like to know they are both measured in the same fashion? . If by agenda, you mean dealing in specs that can be substantiated, then i'm guilty as charged. If I was questioning the advertised specs of BOSS Audio for example, would it still generate this same push-back from you and a couple others?

Wasnt it Ronald Reagan who famously said "Trust, but verify"? I would love to see a ruler stretched across this new 9" speaker. That would put any questions to bed.

I think you are really missing the point, I understand you walk around carry a micrometer, and that's great if your picking up them lady's!!! But when just about any conversation about Exile comes up you act like this, I would be surprised if most of people who have the XM9 really care or for me really understand what all those measurements mean, I looked at a product, they sounded incredible, The price was awesome and the customer service was off the carts, Done deal, So again please contribute without bashing, That's really is the point, It's like you salivate when ever you see some one post " What Tower speakers are the best" Or who has the biggest........And you cant wait to go out and measure it..On your spare time of course..So we will see in the future if you learned something, Again thanks for the good stuff you post, Just try and not bash others and we all might learn something,

• Like 1

I can honestly say nobody cares as much as you do MLA, and that's really the point right. Regardless of your internet ramblings about this or that about exile the owners of the equipment continue to be happy with said equipment and Exile continues to sell.

Heck I'd bet his phone rings every time you go off about it, maybe he really owes you a thanks for all the time you spend beating cheeks with exile on the interwebs.

BTW I don't remember ever seeing where the manufacturer said anything about the xm9 was ever a 9" speaker, that was assumed by some. With all that said it's bigger than most 8" tower speakers on the market.

Edited by Bobby Light

I think you are really missing the point, I understand you walk around carry a micrometer, and that's great if your picking up them lady's!!! But when just about any conversation about Exile comes up you act like this, I would be surprised if most of people who have the XM9 really care or for me really understand what all those measurements mean, I looked at a product, they sounded incredible, The price was awesome and the customer service was off the carts, Done deal, So again please contribute without bashing, That's really is the point, It's like you salivate when ever you see some one post " What Tower speakers are the best" Or who has the biggest........And you cant wait to go out and measure it..On your spare time of course..So we will see in the future if you learned something, Again thanks for the good stuff you post, Just try and not bash others and we all might learn something,

I appreciate your input and respect your opinion. I am sorry that you feel that addressing incorrect or misleading info about a product, is "bashing". I think most people are generally interested in factual product information. You know, stuff you can hang your hat on as opposed to marketing hype and inflated specs. Just speculation, but I do not believe Shawngoddy made that number up. I do not believe he is guessing or speculating. I believe he was told it was a 9" speaker. As I stated, I hope it is. I would love nothing more than to see Brian release a product and advertise it for what it is and let it stand on its merits. Theres absolutely no need to mislead the consumer with false or unrealistic specs.

I got all Exile in my current boat...really happy with it. Do I 100% beleive the specs....no. Do I think they are stretched a little, yes. However is Exile the only one who does this or is it common in this industry? Just wondering why the discusion around this topic is solely on Exile, I am sure many others or all in the industry are not 100% accurate in their specs.

• Like 3

I appreciate your input and respect your opinion. I am sorry that you feel that addressing incorrect or misleading info about a product, is "bashing". I think most people are generally interested in factual product information. You know, stuff you can hang your hat on as opposed to marketing hype and inflated specs. Just speculation, but I do not believe ****Shawngoddy**** made that number up. I do not believe he is guessing or speculating. I believe he was told it was a 9" speaker. As I stated, I hope it is. I would love nothing more than to see Brian release a product and advertise it for what it is and let it stand on its merits. Theres absolutely no need to mislead the consumer with false or unrealistic specs.

Only to the true believers.

Edited by shawndoggy

I got all Exile in my current boat...really happy with it. Do I 100% beleive the specs....no. Do I think they are stretched a little, yes. However is Exile the only one who does this or is it common in this industry? Just wondering why the discusion around this topic is solely on Exile, I am sure many others or all in the industry are not 100% accurate in their specs.

I can list a dozen entry-level/price point companies that use open-tooling audio gear, that routinely advertise their amps @ peak watts output, which is unrealistic and never seen. The optics are, those other companies probably only account for 1% of the audio section posts. They are far an few between, but make no mistake, when some is asking about a 1000W 4 chnl amp from ABC audio, I will not hesitate to make the clarification. But what you dont see, is any push-back when the specs of those companies is challenged.