Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

PFD etiquette

Pnwrider

I'm with you Murphy. Heck, I never even considered not sharing my good vests. I'll sit and shiver while someone else wears my fleece in the fall if it means they are more comfortable. If someone's not having a good time on the boat it will certainly not be because I didn't try. :)

Matt, I can't imagine you saying anything other than what you said above. You're a true awesome boater/friend.

martinarcher

Matt, I can't imagine you saying anything other than what you said above. You're a true awesome boater/friend.

Thanks man. I've always felt welcome on you guys boat as well. Gotta love good boat friends!

• Like 2

:plus1: I've met him once and been cyber buds for a while. I can picture him on a 50 degree day in just board shorts with blue lips shivering and a smile on his face, everyone else all bundled up :lol:

• Like 1

My family members each have our own vests and then we have a variety of spares that we bring along for guests. So nobody uses our "special" vests, but I will definitely have a vest for every guest.

I have just started letting my kids use my vest but no one else does. Before we leave the dock I fit a vest to each person and tell them that's the vest they use. I let them choose from the vests I have in the size needed. I also usually buy a vest for any new crew member for Christmas / Birthday/ graduation presents and that is always a big hit!

here's a picture of my daughter's Boy friend getting his graduation vest... Lovin' it!

419149_10100714936259098_834119756_n.jpg

• Like 2

I usually buy a new vest every 2 years. There are always plenty to go around. The only one not for loan is the Ronix ONE with built in LED's. I'm the only one who gets his TRON on.

Otherwise its hot out. And like NY says...quit being a sister.

How ironic, that's the same vest I don't like loaning out. I'm the only one that should light up at night! I've never told anyone no, just getting ideas on what everyone else did. Looks like some budget neoprene vests are in order.

No assigned vesting on my boat. I couldn't imagine telling someone " Sorry, that's my lifejacket. You'll have to get another one " I'd have to punch myself in the face for being an ahole. And I've never had a problem putting on a wet lifejacket. It's going to be wet in about 5 seconds anyway. Oh well. To each his own.

Edited by Simo

Definitely a first world problem. Oops, don't forget to follow the "golden rule".

That being said we carry a vest for everyone, all are nice and there a range of sizes.

So, if you are worried about putting on a wet vest, go jump in the lake! Then put it on, problem solved.....

do you guys have those orange vests in the boat then? I never considered that bringing a neoprene vest for every guest might be seen as "being an ahole." I'd just rather have a nice vest for everyone that have us all sharing 3 vest and have a bunch of storage taken up with orange vests.

I guess the pattern started when the kids and their friends were young enough that they had to wear vests full-time in the boat, and it's just carried over since.

the HO vests that costco has at the beginning of the season for $38 are really nice. We usually pick one up every year to add to the community collection (kids and their friends keep on growing).

No assigned vesting on my boat. I couldn't imagine telling someone " Sorry, that's my lifejacket. You'll have to get another one " I'd have to punch myself in the face for being an ahole. And I've never had a problem putting on a wet lifejacket. It's going to be wet in about 5 seconds anyway. Oh well. To each his own.

Im not an ahole for assigning vests but am wanting to be fully prepared for a vest check and i am dealing with a younger crowd so if they werent smart enough to bring one they get what they get

do you guys have those orange vests in the boat then? I never considered that bringing a neoprene vest for every guest might be seen as "being an ahole." I'd just rather have a nice vest for everyone that have us all sharing 3 vest and have a bunch of storage taken up with orange vests.

I guess the pattern started when the kids and their friends were young enough that they had to wear vests full-time in the boat, and it's just carried over since.

the HO vests that costco has at the beginning of the season for $38 are really nice. We usually pick one up every year to add to the community collection (kids and their friends keep on growing).

all of my vests are nice, not the orange kind (no way on those!) except i do have one we call "old nasty". old nasty was my husbands, he loved it. it was old, it was nasty but it fit well. now it is just old very nasty.

I don't mind giving up my vest and if it is wet I either throw it on or run the shower over it for 30 seconds. No biggie!! In the Great White North we are used to the cold.

I stop letting my friends wear my vest, because I hated having someone tighten the straps until they folded over on themselves and then it feels like a wire running around your back. I went and picked up enough vests for the size crew that I wanted on my boat. They vary in size and are all the same (Sams club neoprenes), except for mine. The crew vests all go in one locker and my vest in the other. This way no one ever tries to get mine as I tell them to open the other locker to get one.

Generally, I have no problem letting others use my vest. I have a nicer O'Neill neo vest that was made for skiing. I tend to believe the cheaper ones don't hold up as well over the long haul for the wear and tear. That said, for longer adventures like a houseboat trip or a condo rental, I assign each guest a vest for the week. It becomes their responsibility to bring their vest on each run.

I also agree with many Crew Members that a guest is exactly that and should be treated accordingly. I'm thankful to have good friends, enjoy their company and want them to have a great time on my boat just as I would if they came to my home. When my wife and I made the choice to purchase the boat, we also made the decision that we would never expect anything more than a thank you from our friends. Remember, not all budgets are created equal...

• Like 1

I tell my guess I only have enough vest for the family and I... So bring your own, unless I know they are first timers then they can use ours once. If they're going to hang often then I tell them to invest in a good personal safety device.

All guests on our boat get a size appropriate vest. All but 1 are nice Neos. I have about 9 in the garage- starting at infant and up to XXXL and I try to put the correct number and sizes in the boat before each trip. Mrs. Faceplant and Lil Faceplant have their own.

I supply food and beverages.

All guests on our boat get a size appropriate vest. All but 1 are nice Neos. I have about 9 in the garage- starting at infant and up to XXXL and I try to put the correct number and sizes in the boat before each trip. Mrs. Faceplant and Lil Faceplant have their own.

I supply food and beverages.

Us too.

I don't mind if someone uses mine though either. Especially since I usually peer pressure them into trying to ski/board to begin with.

Most don't get to come out more than 3 times a year, so we do whatever we can to make it easy for them. We normally all chip in the food and drink.

I do need to purchase a new jacket for myself mind you as my good one from 18 years ago doesn't quite fit like it used to. I think it must have shrunk over the years :)

Dang, I hate it when that happens. That same virus infected my vest last year.

• Like 2