Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What engine would you put in your boat?

Michigan boarder

Sorry Baddog, just the engine stuff today. But I promise you I will make every effort to get to a Hooters as soon as possible, in any state. I can commit to that. Hey, is there on in Ann Arbor?

Anyway, here we go. I used some old forks we had laying around from scrapped forklifts to add counterweight to the hoist. With the extension, it would have tipped (I slowly tested it). Thanks for the heads up Sgt. That reminds me I need to gather up another scrap run.

I know lots of you guys have done this, but man was I nervous with that thing up in the air. And with the boat at a weird angle one of the engine mounts kept hanging up. So I'd lift it little bits at a time and gently pry that corner up. Finally she came up off the mounts.

post-8942-0-48015400-1387114394_thumb.jp

post-8942-0-33666200-1387114494_thumb.jp

post-8942-0-23306500-1387114509_thumb.jp

Once I got it over the side I was very relieved. Then I had to wheel it over to the trailer, and the wheels would catch in the concrete joints. That took some effort to get over, without swinging the engine all over the place. I was constantly worried about pinch points with my hands and ready for something to go wrong, working by myself. That heater I bought last year kicks pretty well.

post-8942-0-40227700-1387114687_thumb.jp

post-8942-0-43075500-1387114700_thumb.jp

post-8942-0-39100100-1387114727_thumb.jp

post-8942-0-51623100-1387114779_thumb.jp

So here she is on these 4x4's. My plan is to take a long drill bit down thru the engine mounts into all 3 of the 4x4's. Then put a long lag in so they will be lagged together with the engine. Then on the front and rear, attach a vertical 2x4 that secures all 3 4x4's together, one on each end, so 4 vertical pieces total, anchored to each 4x4. Then, attach 2 horizontal 2x4's over those, 1 on the top and 1on the bottom, so that it's stable side to side. Think that will work?

Sgt - do you mind me leaving the tranny attached like that? It will make transportation a ton easier, but will that cause problems for you at your place?

post-8942-0-08231200-1387114933_thumb.jp

post-8942-0-64867900-1387114956_thumb.jp

Sgt - another thought on the tranny, if I can leave it on for transport, then I'd like to remove it at your place and take it home with me for a good cleaning and painting. That way it will look as new as the engine for reassembly. Sound OK?

Sgt - another thought on the tranny, if I can leave it on for transport, then I'd like to remove it at your place and take it home with me for a good cleaning and painting. That way it will look as new as the engine for reassembly. Sound OK?

john, congrats on getting the motor out. you can leave the tranny bolted to it and we will pull it for ya.. a little fyi on the concrete joints. I prefer sawcut joints for this very reason and recommend them to all of my customers.

john, congrats on getting the motor out. you can leave the tranny bolted to it and we will pull it for ya.. a little fyi on the concrete joints. I prefer sawcut joints for this very reason and recommend them to all of my customers.

Sarge, I know it's a highjack, but since you started it: on the saw cuts do you recommend caulking them after cutting? I have to do that in the food production areas where I have used saw cuts and sometimes in warehouses just to ease the impact on fork drivers' spines.

MB, this is a cool project. Although these pictures are not quite as thrilling as the Hooters shots, I spent more time looking at them. Sad, I know. Keep 'em coming.

Now that the engine is out I want to do anything that is needed while I have this unique opportunity:

1. Clean the bilge thoroughly

2. Install the exhaust tips & new exhaust hose

3. Remove the old depth puck and install a new depth/temp system

4. Remove and thoroughly clean the bilge pump

Should I add a thru-hull hole for anything?

Certainly more elegant then when we pulled the engine from a friends Wellcraft. For removal we backed the boat up under a tree and used a chain fall type winch to lift the engine out. Cross your fingers the branch you picked doesn't fail. To reinstall the engine we built a frame out of 4x6s and used the same chain fall to lower it in. We just had to back the boat up under the engine.

I will say I miss that tree. It pulled 3 more engines after that boat until we got a proper engine hoist.

• that damper plate been talking at all?

seldom see problems in the dd's but it's never going to be easier to replace.

minimum: take a good look at it while you are in there.

• +1 on the fuel line.

bilge pump will never be easier to deal with.

pylon need to be snugged up?

Sarge, I know it's a highjack, but since you started it: on the saw cuts do you recommend caulking them after cutting? I have to do that in the food production areas where I have used saw cuts and sometimes in warehouses just to ease the impact on fork drivers' spines.

MB, this is a cool project. Although these pictures are not quite as thrilling as the Hooters shots, I spent more time looking at them. Sad, I know. Keep 'em coming.

anything outside that has a freeze and thaw gets caulked. inside its not necessary as the level of concrete is not as prone to shifting because of temp changes. most warehouses are saw cut and should not affect hard rubber hi lo tires. if it was tool joints than that's a different story.

Threadjack on.....

Considering I make a living off of concrete, I decided to respond. Mods please remove if this is out of line.

There are a variety of reasons why you would entertain joint sealants in a saw cut joint in a concrete floor. Spinal impact for fork truck drivers is not one of them but if you're concerned about that because of excessive impact driving over saw cut joints, then the quality of the floor itself is in question. PM if you have additional questions.

anything outside that has a freeze and thaw gets caulked. inside its not necessary as the level of concrete is not as prone to shifting because of temp changes. most warehouses are saw cut and should not affect hard rubber hi lo tires. if it was tool joints than that's a different story.

This statement is not entirely true. It's all dependent upon a variety of factors, not the least of which being how the concrete was placed and cured and in what environment the pacing and curing occurred. Again, PM with more specific questions.

Threadjack on.....

Considering I make a living off of concrete, I decided to respond. Mods please remove if this is out of line.

There are a variety of reasons why you would entertain joint sealants in a saw cut joint in a concrete floor. Spinal impact for fork truck drivers is not one of them but if you're concerned about that because of excessive impact driving over saw cut joints, then the quality of the floor itself is in question. PM if you have additional questions.

This statement is not entirely true. It's all dependent upon a variety of factors, not the least of which being how the concrete was placed and cured and in what environment the pacing and curing occurred. Again, PM with more specific questions.

not wanting to argue but, I guess owning my own concrete business and making my living off of it also for the last 27 years might mean I have a little idea of what i'm talking about.

guess I should have said the reason outside joints get caulked or sealed is to keep water from getting down in between them and then freezing and heaving. I guess I should reword how I said level of concrete on an interior floor, I meant a level floor does not normally need the joints filled for heaving reasons. i'm wondering where anything was said about how it was placed or cured?

would really like to know what you mean by your statements. a little fyi, I see you're in the brighton area and I've done quite a few projects in the brighton, howell, whitmore lake and Wixom areas. I can easily post pics or show you in person what I've done.

I use Livingston concrete and superior materials in that area.

not wanting to argue but, I guess owning my own concrete business and making my living off of it also for the last 27 years might mean I have a little idea of what i'm talking about.

guess I should have said the reason outside joints get caulked or sealed is to keep water from getting down in between them and then freezing and heaving. I guess I should reword how I said level of concrete on an interior floor, I meant a level floor does not normally need the joints filled for heaving reasons. i'm wondering where anything was said about how it was placed or cured?

would really like to know what you mean by your statements. a little fyi, I see you're in the brighton area and I've done quite a few projects in the brighton, howell, whitmore lake and Wixom areas. I can easily post pics or show you in person what I've done.

I use Livingston concrete and superior materials in that area.

Sarge....No problem. I appreciate your perspective and understand your comments. I have no need for pictures however as my work history has provided me with great experience as well. While I've not been doing this for 27 years, nor am I a business owner, I have been in the concrete business for 13+ years. I would agree that joints in an interior floor don't need to be filled for heaving reasons but I would disagree that they don't need filled for other reasons. I would further question how you define level floors. I've seen many floors, some very level, some not so much. In warehouses with very high FF / FL requirements, the levelness of the floors is usually superb however it's typical to see sealed joints in high traffic areas. The reason I brought up the placing and curing issue is that if a fork truck driver is complaining about the comfort of his ride, then he's either a sissy or the floors were not well placed, finished, or cured.

The company for whom I work performs multiple flatwork projects across the country dealing, with a variety of material suppliers, in manufacturing environments. In the last 5 years, we've done well over 3,000,000 square feet of concrete floors with various finishes. We put anywhere from 600,000-1,000,000 man hours per year of work in place. I have been involved in a good 90% of that work directly from an estimating and operational perspective and have some insight on the matter as well. High performance floor slabs are interesting animals and while seemingly simple, are actually just the opposite.

My comments regarding placing and finishing were directed toward the issue of fork trucks. As you are aware, concrete slabs tend to "curl" during the curing process. There are many environmental factors which affect the rate at which slabs curl. A few that come to mind are temperature, mix design, air flow and HVAC in the area in which slabs are placed, subgrade preparation, moisture content of subgrade, vapor barriers or lack thereof, etc. There are also many technical (mix design, reinforcing [bars, steel fibers, macro synthetic fibers, or no reinforcing], sealed floors, polished floors, floors with shake hardeners) factors that can affect the rate at which slabs curl. Then there are the human factors that affect the rate at which slabs curl. Impact from fork trucks that is sever could be, and is most likely related to, curling. Saw cut joints that are in the middle of a placement likely, provided that all variables are satisfied, would not affect the ride of the fork truck, much as you suggest. Sealing the joints, particularly in the areas of heavy traffic using the appropriate sealant, can and will directly affect the life and performance of a floor. As such, exposure to freeze thaw cycles are not the only considerations for sealing, or not sealing saw cut floor joints. That was my point.....sorry for the additional thread jacking and rather wordy response.

PS...Umm....it's definitely winter if we are discussing things like concrete placement.....maybe we should start another thread?

Edited by inlandlaker
  • Like 1

Sarge....No problem. I appreciate your perspective and understand your comments. I have no need for pictures however as my work history has provided me with great experience as well. While I've not been doing this for 27 years, nor am I a business owner, I have been in the concrete business for 13+ years. I would agree that joints in an interior floor don't need to be filled for heaving reasons but I would disagree that they don't need filled for other reasons. I would further question how you define level floors. I've seen many floors, some very level, some not so much. In warehouses with very high FF / FL requirements, the levelness of the floors is usually superb however it's typical to see sealed joints in high traffic areas. The reason I brought up the placing and curing issue is that if a fork truck driver is complaining about the comfort of his ride, then he's either a sissy or the floors were not well placed, finished, or cured.

The company for whom I work performs multiple flatwork projects across the country dealing, with a variety of material suppliers, in manufacturing environments. In the last 5 years, we've done well over 3,000,000 square feet of concrete floors with various finishes. We put anywhere from 600,000-1,000,000 man hours per year of work in place. I have been involved in a good 90% of that work directly from an estimating and operational perspective and have some insight on the matter as well. High performance floor slabs are interesting animals and while seemingly simple, are actually just the opposite.

My comments regarding placing and finishing were directed toward the issue of fork trucks. As you are aware, concrete slabs tend to "curl" during the curing process. There are many environmental factors which affect the rate at which slabs curl. A few that come to mind are temperature, mix design, air flow and HVAC in the area in which slabs are placed, subgrade preparation, moisture content of subgrade, vapor barriers or lack thereof, etc. There are also many technical (mix design, reinforcing [bars, steel fibers, macro synthetic fibers, or no reinforcing], sealed floors, polished floors, floors with shake hardeners) factors that can affect the rate at which slabs curl. Then there are the human factors that affect the rate at which slabs curl. Impact from fork trucks that is sever could be, and is most likely related to, curling. Saw cut joints that are in the middle of a placement likely, provided that all variables are satisfied, would not affect the ride of the fork truck, much as you suggest. Sealing the joints, particularly in the areas of heavy traffic using the appropriate sealant, can and will directly affect the life and performance of a floor. As such, exposure to freeze thaw cycles are not the only considerations for sealing, or not sealing saw cut floor joints. That was my point.....sorry for the additional thread jacking and rather wordy response.

PS...Umm....it's definitely winter if we are discussing things like concrete placement.....maybe we should start another thread?

you and I should talk. yes either in another thread or in pm's. I've been involved with the big laser screed floor pours and quite a bit of road work over the years. hope you realize whoever you are working for( barton mallow, wallbridge, turner, and the list could go on) I've probably worked for at one time or another out of the union hall.

Allright, let's get this thread back on topic.

john, you asked if we had a hooters in the area and yes about 20-25 miles away. got another place closer called the lake pointe yacht club closer. google it and let me know if you want to go.

Sgt - just kidding on the Hooters stuff. I'd rather watch sports at BW's. Actually I'd rather bring a pizza and a 12 pack and eat in your garage.

what ever works but, we do have a bw less than 5 miles away.

what ever works but, we do have a bw less than 5 miles away.

Oh no! There are way too many great bars/restaurants in Ypsi/AA/Saline to take a visitor to BW. Red Rock, Side Tracks, or Aubrey's in Ypsilanti are great. I'm partial to Dan's Downtown Tavern in Saline. There are too many to list in Ann Arbor.

I'm hungry. :D

• Like 2

Oh no! There are way too many great bars/restaurants in Ypsi/AA/Saline to take a visitor to BW. Red Rock, Side Tracks, or Aubrey's in Ypsilanti are great. I'm partial to Dan's Downtown Tavern in Saline. There are too many to list in Ann Arbor.

I'm hungry. :D

And thirsty too, I'll bet.