Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What engine would you put in your boat?

Michigan boarder

Sharp boat Steve!

The engine is loose and ready to go. I lined the hoist up last night and I am short about 4 inches to get it over the center of the boat. So, I am going to get a piece of square stock made to replace the extension that is in the hoist now. I will make it quite a bit longer so that it is only 6" longer coming out, but it will go all the way back to the rear of the hoist receiver for better support.

post-8942-0-51101400-1385383060_thumb.jp

Also, when I detached the coupler I noticed this threaded hole. Should there be something in here that presses on the nut for the drive shaft?

post-8942-0-63774700-1385383129_thumb.jp

We are Pittsfield with an Ann Arbor address. I think the boat we saw on Ford Lake was red or orange. I love the white boat. Its classic and will never go out of style.

Sharp boat Steve!

The engine is loose and ready to go. I lined the hoist up last night and I am short about 4 inches to get it over the center of the boat. So, I am going to get a piece of square stock made to replace the extension that is in the hoist now. I will make it quite a bit longer so that it is only 6" longer coming out, but it will go all the way back to the rear of the hoist receiver for better support.

attachicon.gifhoist compressed.JPG

Also, when I detached the coupler I noticed this threaded hole. Should there be something in here that presses on the nut for the drive shaft?

attachicon.gifcoupler compressed.JPG

john, you should be able to just take the tire off that side off the trailer and lower it as close to the ground as possible. that should get the engine up high enough to come out. second thing I would do is use a moving blanket over the side of the boat just incase. I also use a sheet of visqueen to cover the carpet and over the top of the moving blanket incase anything leaks, it makes for easy clean up.

the hole in the coupler as I remember had two set screws in it. one on top of the other.

p.s. thanks for the kind words on the boat. I've been thinking of a dark blue chrome wrap from the rub rail up to give it some bling.

Edited by sgt1970-442

We are Pittsfield with an Ann Arbor address. I think the boat we saw on Ford Lake was red or orange. I love the white boat. Its classic and will never go out of style.

no kidding, we better get together. you must be on the north side of 94? i'm at crane and textile

john, you should be able to just take the tire off that side off the trailer and lower it as close to the ground as possible. that should get the engine up high enough to come out. second thing I would do is use a moving blanket over the side of the boat just incase. I also use a sheet of visqueen to cover the carpet and over the top of the moving blanket incase anything leaks, it makes for easy clean up.

the hole in the coupler as I remember had two set screws in it. one on top of the other.

p.s. thanks for the kind words on the boat. I've been thinking of a dark blue chrome wrap from the rub rail up to give it some bling.

Yep, I've got the blankets ready to go. Actually the extension isn't needed for height, but for reach. I can't get the hoist directly over the engine because the lift portion of the hoist hits the side of the trailer. It's like 50" from center of engine to the edge of the trailer, and the hoist is a few inches short. And, that includes removing the wheel.

Can someone send a pic of the couple set screws?

I see what your talking about in the pic now john. just make sure after you extend that boom, you put some weight ballast on the back of that cherry picker. if mine wasn't shrink wrapped for old man winter i'd get a pick of the set screws. you can use a bolt to check thread size.

@John: As I recall, they are a basic allen headed set screw, nothing special but there to keep the nut from undoing itself. When you reinstall, use threadlocker.

@sgt: That nice big block S must have been a real challenge for you...BTW it appears your favorite teams are playing for the Big10 Championship LOL.

@John: As I recall, they are a basic allen headed set screw, nothing special but there to keep the nut from undoing itself. When you reinstall, use threadlocker.

@sgt: That nice big block S must have been a real challenge for you...BTW it appears your favorite teams are playing for the Big10 Championship LOL.

yes, you could say the s was not high on my list but, getting the size right and putting it all together was fun. getting the green color and the white cement for the s just right was the big challenge.

it came out great and our friend was really happy. I tried to talk the wife into a block m for our driveway and she said no. not sure why as she has worked for u of m for 33 years. I suggested a 442 emblem in the driveway and that was a no also.... i'm really thinking the woman has no sense of humor any more. :lol:

Well, at least you didn't try a full size Linda Vaughn ... I'm sure there would have been a lack of humor on that call:)

yeah, i'm thinking the boss would have put the nixxx to that idea also. I did meet her back years ago and she signed the dash on my 68 442. it was fun to watch as she bent over the passenger side door to reach the dash. I asked her if she needed a longer sharpie..... :lol:

no kidding, we better get together. you must be on the north side of 94? i'm at crane and textile

Platt, between Elsworth and Michigan. We are really close. When you get John's engine (I'm John too) I'll bring over some beer.

Go Blue!

• Like 1

Platt, between Elsworth and Michigan. We are really close. When you get John's engine (I'm John too) I'll bring over some beer.

Go Blue!

When we get the engine done, we're all going for a ride!

Tow it to the Burgh and my boys and I will "TEST IT OUT FOR YOU"....

We will even let you know how the barefoot wake is BEHIND the boat..... :Tease3:

You know I love you brother.....

Edited by JB-FOOT

At least there is no hurry given the current state of lake temperature. We can sit in the boat and make motor noises. "Vroom, vroom, bwaaaa!"

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

hey john,

how we doing on getting that motor out?

On Wed of last week I got that extender bar made, but then out of town thru Sunday morning. Back at it Sunday, working all day 'till 10pm. So far my shortest work day this week was yesterday, when I left work at 11pm. I'm pretty much on a 6am to midnight schedule right now, but hopefully I'll find some time over this upcoming weekend to lift it out. I was actually hoping to pull the engine this week and head your way this weekend, but the work thing is wrecking that plan. Wishing I had a 10 ton lift instead of the 2 ton China one, but hey it's loaned to me for free. I think about the engine almost constantly, getting antsy.

Now, off to get my crew rolling and productive.

@John: go nice and slow on the lifting making sure nothing is left connected as you lift the unit out of the engine bay. Errant wires (ignition, alternator, starter and gauges), lines and cables are easier to disconnect than to replace & don't forget things that are zip tied to the engine or ancillaries...the boat is very simple so should be a breeze.

• 2 weeks later...

haven't heard from ya in awhile john, just wondering how its going? post up some pics

Last weekend I went to remove the trailer wheel and my old floor jack failed, won't hold pressure. I've been meaning to get a new one, but simply haven't had a chance. Still working 6am to 9 or 10pm. At work now, hopefully wrapping up at noon, and I'll pick one up. Working tomorrow, but hope to pull it after work. I'm 7 days/week thru the end of the year, but I still at least want to get it crated and on the trailer.

For pics, here's a good one:

post-8942-0-35849700-1387029786_thumb.jp

Last weekend I went to remove the trailer wheel and my old floor jack failed, won't hold pressure. I've been meaning to get a new one, but simply haven't had a chance. Still working 6am to 9 or 10pm. At work now, hopefully wrapping up at noon, and I'll pick one up. Working tomorrow, but hope to pull it after work. I'm 7 days/week thru the end of the year, but I still at least want to get it crated and on the trailer.

For pics, here's a good one:

Is that you hard at work??

• Like 1