Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What engine would you put in your boat?

Michigan boarder

Didn't you run this motor on a dyno? Why would anything have been changed?

Yes, but with the dyno guy's distributor.

Edit: so I put the distributor in, plug wires, and wiring harness.

Edited by Michigan boarder

Yea set it at the tdc mark when your rotor is pointed at 1 then pull the distributor and rotate crank a turn then put it back in

Wouldn't I rotate the crank two turns?

Well I did all that and it does the same thing. Crank on it, spray some fluid into the arrestor and the engine turns faster like it wants to start, then backfires (then I stop cranking). Crank it again and nothing. Varying throttle positions, nothing, does not sound like it is trying to start. Plugs are verified in the right spots.

Pull the valve cover on the number 1 side and rotate the crank until you see the number 1 valves open and close that way you know your on the compression stroke

Verify spark a good spark not just a light orange. Also pull fuel line off going to carb and crank and make sure your getting fuel to carb

@MB: sounds like 180 out or way retarded from your description. To verify distributor position I would pop the #1 side valve cover and set the engine to TDC with the distributor rotor pointing at #1. If one of the #1 cylinder valves are open at that point you are 180 out on the distributor. #1 is left front or closest to observers seat cylinder. I would do that before simply rotating 180 so you determine where you are before getting lost by pulling it. Good luck.

Oh and if any engine builder tries to tell you they have never dropped a distributor in 180 out, they are lying...

Edited by Woodski
  • Like 1

Pull the valve cover on the number 1 side and rotate the crank until you see the number 1 valves open and close that way you know your on the compression stroke

Or just pull plug 1 and stick your finger over the hole as you manually turn Youl feel the compression stroke.

If you are 180 out, you don't need to pull the distributor, then turn the engine 1 revolution. Just pull the distributor and turn the rotor half turn (180 degrees) so it's pointing at #6. It'll be right then (cylinder 6 fires at the TDC mark on the balancer also).

Edited by MadMan

Also stupid suggestion but seeing how much work you've done make sure kill tether is on

I have done that, crank and crank and crank and then discover the kill switch cord is in the tool box

I have power, gauges are up, and it backfired with black smoke coming out of the back. I haven't checked for spark but I'm sure I have it, I'm just running on zero fuel.

I pulled the distributor back out and rotated the engine, so it is back where I originally had it. I did the thumb test over the spark plug hole and I am definitely on the compression stroke, no doubt about it. So I had it right all along. It's a fuel issue. I drained the tank, replaced the lines, the filter, all that stuff. So now the filter is full and I'm going to put a splash in the carb (and I have rags handy).

All connections look good to distributor, coil, etc. I am sure this is simply a fuel issue. Back in 5.

formulaben

This is where I would have lost my mind, after all that with the engine rebuild, I'd be :mad:

MB, you have far more patience than me...good on you. Can't wait to see/hear this thing in action!

This is where I would have lost my mind, after all that with the engine rebuild, I'd be :mad:

MB, you have far more patience than me...good on you. Can't wait to see/hear this thing in action!

I stepped away and laid down on the couch for 20 minutes at one point!

• Like 2
martinarcher

You deserve one! Congrats man. I know the first time I hear an engine I rebuilt it's sure a sweet sound. I predict it's going to be an expecially awesome weekend. :rockon: