Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What engine would you put in your boat?

Michigan boarder

@MIRuss: Looks like plug and play. Good list, some hose clamps are for big diameter hoses, exhaust as an example. You might want to swap out the raw water inlet hoses. If you have a heater / shower there may be some specific block / water pump fittings you will need and don't forget to check the oil drain plug (you will want absolutely want the drain hose). Looks like a nice timing tape on the damper (I would check it for accuracy before engine install - TDC and simple math calculations for degrees v. diameter). Good call on the damper plate. Fluid change for the trans while the engine cover is off makes that much easier.

formulaben

Talked with some other Guys and have come up with a fairly comprehensive list:

Belts

Hoses (if needed)

Fuel lines (rubber only)

Plugs & Wires

Clutch!!! (this is actually a good idea - only $22 at Michigan Motorz)

Misc:

Hose Clamps

Zip Strips - Wire Ties

Huh?

Talked with some other Guys and have come up with a fairly comprehensive list:

Belts

Hoses (if needed)

Fuel lines (rubber only)

Plugs & Wires

Clutch!!! (this is actually a good idea - only $22 at Michigan Motorz)

Misc:

Hose Clamps

Zip Strips - Wire Ties

I would assume you have the fuel injected motor? if so I would clean the intake and have the injectors tested to ,ake sure they are clean and delivering the right psi rate. if your motor is carb like mine its a simple carb cleaning and rebuild.

Okay!!! I'm in!! Very excited and it ran great in the driveway with the fake lake...Of Course! Now, in the lake, it stalls out during acceleration. I've read some other troubleshooting websites and everyone seems to think it could be the vacuum.....Anyone have any other ideas?

Idles well...just can't accelerate.

@MIRuss: my methodology in troubleshooting is to go to the last thing I did to see if I made an error or caused the new problem. With a long block install and your issue sounding like a fueling issue, I would trace the fuel path from tank to FI unit or carb. This would also include the intake manifold, vacuum lines, check valves, filters. Take a short length of hose and listen in various spots for leaks, in your case the intake manifold to head joint may be a culprit per first statement. Did you check your ignition timing? Does it rev up in the driveway under no load? Under load, does it simply quit or seem to starve for fuel, those are some clues as to where to search.

• 2 months later...

MIRuss, did you ever get it working?

My Echelon is ready to go as soon as we get the dyno done. All parts are painted. Tank is flushed, new fuel lines in, battery is charged, good to go. What about that clutch/pressure plate?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

One more update - I'm towing the boat sans engine to Sgt.'s place this weekend to pick up the engine. Last time I dragged a snowmobile trailer, this time I'm just hauling the whole boat over there. Should be a warmer and drier weekend.

... then on to Skier's Pier for a couple of sets :biggrin:

I could do it! But I won't have an exhaust system put together so "unfortunately" it will be straight 3.5" pipes.....

• 2 weeks later...

Sooooo .......... you're getting out of the concrete business :)

I think he should bail on concrete and be the Chee of Malibu engines. Travel around getting more oomph out of the old powerplants. How many guys have a 94 - 02 Echelon, Sunsetter or Response that they love, but would also love another 60-80hp out of?

I'll quit my job too and drive the truck.

• Like 3

We put some engines together for some very big names that appeared to have good funding. It was more often like pulling teeth to get the cash into the bank.

One we did the guy who owed money to other shops that we worked with. The engine was done and ready to ship. I told him if I see a cash transfer in my account It would be on the next flight out. It never happened. Another big name guy found out I had it ready to go and called. Money in the bank the next day. He went on to beat the first guy in pro stock at the next national event. The first guy found out who he got the engine from and he called me back and said why did I sell his engine. We tried to stay away form doing work for other teams.

sixball is totally correct on trying to collect from some customers on high dollar engines. have seen this way to many times with big shops.

the call outs for people who either take a customers money and don't produce or get there parts and don't pay there bill is a huge list on yellowbullet.com forum.

i do this as a hobby and it helped john out.

if i had to charge enough to equal what i make doing my construction work to build motors then nobody could afford me.

while i would prefer john not give away what i charged him, i'm sure he would tell you it was more than fair.

Edited by sgt1970-442
  • 1 month later...

Getting mobile again here, I am 4 weeks post op for my shoulder surgery, and work has slowed down a bit. I'm going to do some work on the boat tonight. We did get the engine in the boat, here is one as she was going back in:

post-8942-0-44289700-1422893083_thumb.jp

I was talking with the guys at Supra this weekend - they're saying that with thousands of hours under review, they are getting 15-20% better fuel economy with the Raptor motors than they were with the LS and 5.7 varation engines in the same boats. Surprised me, I know the 6.2 isn't known for great fuel economy on the streets. But the torque curve is great for boating it would seem.

moral of the story, if you can get a Raptor engine in your boat, do it.

By the way, here is a link to the build thread. http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/47273-michigan-boarder-engine-blueprint-and-build/ Lots of great info on that thread. We ended up with a very strong 388 stroker engine. Thanks again to sgt1970-442 for all time and detail he put into it.

I'll keep posting up on this thread as the rest of it comes together, right up until the videos of the water test!

• Like 3

I need to close this browser fast.... I've got new engine envy in a big way! :lol: That thing is awesome. If you start the Sarge engine building truck, head my way first!!

• Like 3

I was talking with the guys at Supra this weekend - they're saying that with thousands of hours under review, they are getting 15-20% better fuel economy with the Raptor motors than they were with the LS and 5.7 varation engines in the same boats. Surprised me, I know the 6.2 isn't known for great fuel economy on the streets. But the torque curve is great for boating it would seem.

moral of the story, if you can get a Raptor engine in your boat, do it.

Good to know. Fuel economy will probably be lacking with my set up. Not that I'm worried about it, never once thought of that during the whole build, and would have quickly dismissed it if it was discussed. We were going for power. But after the dyno was done and there was like a gallon of gas left (out of 5 gal), it was pretty clear that this baby is going to guzzle. I guess the good news is that the torque starts so low that I'll probably never really be heavy on the throttle (yeah, right).

• Like 2