Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need Opinions on This Boat

BlknYlwT22

I like that vride a lot! Would look great with wakesetter graphics imo. It's essentially a VLX with that hull anyway :whistle:

The Ride decals are definitely gone. I am not sure what I am going to do about that yet. Not sure about how I feel making it a fakesetter. I will definitely be doing something with it, though

Based on all that info, I better jump on this opportunity. Probably won't find a better deal on a boat that fits our wants/needs.

I keep catching myself comparing this boat to what a 2011 VLX is and that is just not fair. I just wanted to make sure I won't be missing anything from our '04.

I think you'll be loving it from the 04.... the jump to that hull in 05 was a much bigger step than from the 05-09 hull to the 2010+ hull IMHO. It's a big evolutionary jump. The fact that you get it with the rock solid G3 tower at a relative bargain is icing on the cake. Heater can be done for $500 (in a more creative way than the factory would give you), second battery for $300 (including a better battery than the factory would give you), ballast for probably $650 (depending whether you've got a T handle through hull you can repurpose, or if you have to add a new through hull).

Stereo.... well, sky's the limit there. Don't start asking for advice on that here.... too many people with a stereo habit. :)

I appreciate all the advice Shawn and I think you are right about loving the boat. I did get one little tid bit of info that is disappointing. The seller talked about a scratch on the rub rail when we initially talked and I asked for pictures of the area. After looking at the pics I noticed an area above the rub rail that appeared hazy. Apparently, the first time this boat was out the owner has a mishap with the boat lift and there was some fiberglass repair done by the Malibu dealer. Here are the pic. According to the seller the first pic is in the worst possible light making the blemish the most viewable it will ever be.

photo4_zps45f3c7ca.jpg

photo2_zpsc042a435.jpg

I don't think this stops me from buying the boat, but nonetheless it is disappointing. Especially, since there isn't going to be any real negotiation on price.

These things happen unfortunately. You are getting one hell of a boat for your money, and I am quite jealous of the G3 tower and having toggle switches.

Making it a fakesetter, meh, it's a wakesetter for all intents and purposes haha.

• Like 1

I think this is almost a no brainer. You could buy the boat, use it for a year and if you still really want to upgrade to a newer vlx, be able to get your money back out of this boat. Thats they way I used to be with motorcycles. I bought and sold 10 over a 2-3 year period and only lost money on one of them.

I think this is almost a no brainer. You could buy the boat, use it for a year and if you still really want to upgrade to a newer vlx, be able to get your money back out of this boat. Thats they way I used to be with motorcycles. I bought and sold 10 over a 2-3 year period and only lost money on one of them.

You are definitely right on being able to get our money back out of it. I just hope it holds its value especially because I know we will be putting money into it to make it that much nicer.

You are definitely right on being able to get our money back out of it. I just hope it holds its value especially because I know we will be putting money into it to make it that much nicer.

The stuff you add won't come back out dollar for dollar in a million years. Don't think you are going to put a heater in and it will be worth more. All of those little things will make the boat easier to sell and more attractive, but none of them are likely to increase the value substantially.

Depending on the mods, not too hard to swap to a newer boat. Especially stereo stuff. Heater will add value too. I think I've used the table on my vlx once. Mostly it stays in the garage so I can fit more water into the bag in the locker.

Well just got a call that the boat sold. A guy came to look at it this afternoon, left, and came back to buy it. We were second in line and told him we had the money ready to go. Looks like we missed out on a good one and I am feeling pretty bummed.

Edited by 2004WakeSetterVLX

Well just got a call that the boat sold. A guy came to look at it this afternoon, left, and came back to buy it. We were second in line and told him we had the money ready to go. Looks like we missed out on a good one and I am feeling pretty bummed.

Sucks, but that is the way it goes. Have to be ready to hop in the car and make the long drive if you really want it. The day I bought my VTX, the lady got 2 calls while I was looking at it. Better luck on the next one.

Edited by oldjeep

That's a drag. Sorry to hear about it.......It's all good though. Another will present itself when the time is right.

I don't really want a Supra but am struggling to find the right Malibu because of crap illusion tower. Makes you feel like you have to start looking at other brands. Demoed this boat this summer and was really impressed and love the colors. http://www.prowakewatersports.com/new_vehicle_detail.asp?sid=6945437E-02X2K8K2014J9I16I06JPMQ7245R0&veh=326087&pov=3597763 Just not in the budget.

I also found a dealer in CA with a 2012 Ride that is still brand new for $52,000 http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2012-Malibu-21-vRide-102147429

I don't really want a Supra but am struggling to find the right Malibu because of crap illusion tower. Makes you feel like you have to start looking at other brands. Demoed this boat this summer and was really impressed and love the colors. http://www.prowakewatersports.com/new_vehicle_detail.asp?sid=6945437E-02X2K8K2014J9I16I06JPMQ7245R0&veh=326087&pov=3597763 Just not in the budget.

I also found a dealer in CA with a 2012 Ride that is still brand new for $52,000 http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2012-Malibu-21-vRide-102147429

I owned a 2008 Supra 22, almost positive its the same hull as the 2013. I put 255 hours on it, the boat was fun, my first inboard, the wakeboard wake is very difficult to clean up on the port side unless you ride at higher speeds 23.5-24mph. Its near impossible to get a clean wakeboard wake at anything under 22-23mph. The wakeboard wake is also very steep with very little transition, for some this works but I prefer the Malibu wake with more landing transition. If you land in the flats all the time probably not as big of a deal, I am getting old and like to land on the downside of the wake :) The Supra wakeboard wake reminds me a lot of the '14 MB 23 I boarded behind last season, much steeper than the Malibu. It just seemed like it wanted to buck you off the board when charging the wake, maybe this is because of the deep V hull? The surf wake was decent with a 750 in the rear locker, 400 lbs in the center locker, we did not surf near as much as we do now, I think the surf wake had better potential with more weight than I was using (which was not much). Would not discourage you from buying one, Skiers Choice is a great company to deal with, just be aware of the wake style and make sure and get out and ride behind it before you sign a check.

I would take that V ride any day over the Supra just because the wake is going to be so much closer to the VLX (if not identical for wakeboarding). Plus it also has the Power Wedge, which is a great combo to have if you desire a steeper wake at times. Great looking color scheme, clean looking V ride.

Edited by Fman