Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tuner/Programmer for F150 Ecoboost

Cory

Can you elaborate on the before/after? You got me thinking again.....I really do not like the shift points from the factory.

I've had my truck 5 star tunes for 2 years now and I've never had a problem with the truck or tune since installed. The shift points are different, peddle position sensor is adjusted so its way snappier throughout the rpm range. You don't have to mash the gas down if you know what I mean. It's got noticeably more power, when towing too where it matters. I can take any mountain pass around here towing my boat at 65 and don't ever downshift past 4th gear. You will love it, money well spent IMO.

I've had my truck 5 star tunes for 2 years now and I've never had a problem with the truck or tune since installed. The shift points are different, peddle position sensor is adjusted so its way snappier throughout the rpm range. You don't have to mash the gas down if you know what I mean. It's got noticeably more power, when towing too where it matters. I can take any mountain pass around here towing my boat at 65 and don't ever downshift past 4th gear. You will love it, money well spent IMO.

Thanks for the write up. I really enjoy the 6.2 so far. I guess I will have to man up and buy the programmer.

Cory, anything you want to know about the Ecoboost an tuner, lift, tire sizes and calibration. I got you covered. I can answer any question you have. I have a lot of Ford expierinece, and I own a lifted Eco with a 5 star tune.

Cory, anything you want to know about the Ecoboost an tuner, lift, tire sizes and calibration. I got you covered. I can answer any question you have. I have a lot of Ford expierinece, and I own a lifted Eco with a 5 star tune.

Y

Bobby, would you open up the exhaust before a tune?

Not at all. Not on the Eco. They sound like butt with exhaust and the silent ride is one of my favorite parts of the truck. Old I guess.

The tuner is all you need. On a turbo application it's a huge increase, like tweedle dee said 100+ ft.lbs at the wheels with just a tune?

My truck with a 5 star tune, 6" lift, 35's will start to haze the tires at 35 mph above 3k rpm. It puts my last roots charged 500 hp 5.4 to shame........with just an 87 octane tow tune.

They do offer good increases from the exhaust systems out there. Don't get me wrong. But I have heard quite a few of them and not one of them is pleasing to MY ears. It's the trade off thing. You can get double to 2/3'rds the gain from the tuner with no noise to come with it.

I actually had an opportunity to get a free stainless cat back system and turns it down because I hated the way it sounded. If you gonna do anything to the exhaust, or I should say if I was going to do anything I would do the hi flow y-pipe and cats. There is a few different places making them now, but the bang for the buck is not as high as the tuner. I just haven't felt like I needed more beyond the tune yet.

Check out Full Race. My buddy has a 2011 Ecoboost. He just threw on a tuner, with custom tunes, Intercooler, CAI, Downpipes, and Full exhaust system. That truck flies with the race tune on, and pulls really hard with the tow tune.

I found a great gear ratio calculator online: http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html

As Wheelman said gearing down and stepping up in tire size will offset each other for my speedo. As it turns out, at 65 mph dropping from 3.55 to a 3.73 and stepping up from a 275/55/R20 to a 275/65/R20 or a 295/60/R20 means I will only be traveling 1 mph faster than what my speedo says.

The SCT is just the device and software interface to get access into the factory computer.

You need to buy either the SCT XCal 3 or you can get the livewire

XCal3 - http://www.sctflash.com/showsctproducts.php?Prod=X3

Or Livewire if you want gauge display - http://www.sctflash.com/showsctproducts.php?Prod=LWTS

Once you have the device any authorized tuner can build you a tune file and email you it. You load the tune with another free software download from SCT on your PC/Laptop and you can load the file onto the Xcal3 or Livewire device and than take the tune to the truck and flash the factory ECU.

Does that make sense? So in essence once you have the device you can use any SCT authorized/licensed tuner you want. 5 Star, AED, lund racing(don't think Jon does trucks, but is the poop with Mustangs!). Brooksspeed(Eric) is also very good, but again I think mainly mustangs.

Turbo vehicles do not like backpressure. So an exhaust is a big help with 1 removing heat and 2 removing backpressure which will increase power. However like mentioned most for the ecoboost don't sound good. I think most of the power to be had is in the downpipe region with high flow cats. Keep the stock catback.

Edited by black06VLX

The SCT is just the device and software interface to get access into the factory computer.

You need to buy either the SCT XCal 3 or you can get the livewire

XCal3 - http://www.sctflash.com/showsctproducts.php?Prod=X3

Or Livewire if you want gauge display - http://www.sctflash.com/showsctproducts.php?Prod=LWTS

Once you have the device any authorized tuner can build you a tune file and email you it. You load the tune with another free software download from SCT on your PC/Laptop and you can load the file onto the Xcal3 or Livewire device and than take the tune to the truck and flash the factory ECU.

Does that make sense? So in essence once you have the device you can use any SCT authorized/licensed tuner you want. 5 Star, AED, lund racing(don't think Jon does trucks, but is the poop with Mustangs!). Brooksspeed(Eric) is also very good, but again I think mainly mustangs.

Turbo vehicles do not like backpressure. So an exhaust is a big help with 1 removing heat and 2 removing backpressure which will increase power. However like mentioned most for the ecoboost don't sound good. I think most of the power to be had is in the downpipe region with high flow cats. Keep the stock catback.

Maybe slightly off topic but do manufacturers try to block this access with upgrades in there newer vehicles? I understand they just void the warranty if you switch but do they actively try to keep tuning ability out of it or do they just leave the gates open for those that want to do it.

From a tech stand-point Apple is always trying to block the Jailbreak community from gaining access to the devices file system, so new hack have to be developed with the new software to regain access time and time again. Will these tuners likely still work on the next iteration of F-150 even is different tuning files are required?

• 5 months later...

Well, I took the plunge. I've been driving my 2011 F-150 Ecoboost with the 87 Performance/Tow tune from "5 Star Tuning" for three days now. I have to say so far I am very happy with the results. The shift points and throttle response are much improved. When you step on the gas, the transmission always seems to be in the right place. There is definitely more power. It's been raining ever since I put the tune on my truck, so I haven't had a good chance to really feel the off the line power. Right now (in the rain), if I step on it merging on the freeway, I can easily spin my tires in 1, 2, and 3rd gear (my truck has a limited-slip rear diff). The truck runs as smooth or smoother than ever before. I haven't driven the truck long enough to truely comment on fuel economy, but it actually seems like it may have improved a little, which I find hard to believe, so I don't put much stock in it until I've burned a couple tanks of gas and see my actual range. I'll be curious to try the 89 performance/tow tune and see what it runs like. I also recieved the 91 performance/tow tune, but don't intend to ever use it. Actually, I'm really happy with the power upgrade with the 87 perf/tow tune.

Next, I'm considering purchasing a set of Toyo Open Country A/T II LT295/55/R20 or LT285/55/R20, if the 295's don't fit. After 40k miles, my truck still has the stock Pirelli 275/55/R20 tires. This is the last winter with those tires. Do you think 295's will fit on the stock rims? Anyone have experience with these tires or recommend other similar tires. The tuner is supposed to allow me to adjust the speedo for tire size.

Edited by Cory

295's will fit on the stock wheels. They will bulge a bit on the sidewall and render a slightly taller tire height than the measured spec. You will only be able to run that tire if you do a leveling kit though. The 285's are not much smaller in reality.

I love my AT II's. Best A/T tire I have owned. Nice and quiet in the whole realm of things , great looks and a better tread wear warranty.

• 3 years later...

Resurrecting an old thread.  I've been looking at tuning my '14 EB and @thtrog helped the process along.  I installed 5star tunings 89 Tow/Perf tune and WOW what a difference!  I'm sure I sound just like everyone else that's ever made the leap but WOW!  The added power is awesome but the smoother idle and better shift points are worth gold.  Drivability is much better.  I will be towing the LSV on Saturday and I can't wait to see how it is in tow/haul mode.   Best upgrade I've ever done. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2017 at 9:15 PM, ID AX said:

Resurrecting an old thread.  I've been looking at tuning my '14 EB and @thtrog helped the process along.  I installed 5star tunings 89 Tow/Perf tune and WOW what a difference!  I'm sure I sound just like everyone else that's ever made the leap but WOW!  The added power is awesome but the smoother idle and better shift points are worth gold.  Drivability is much better.  I will be towing the LSV on Saturday and I can't wait to see how it is in tow/haul mode.   Best upgrade I've ever done. 

Curious which tunes you went with?  I just bought a 14' Ford F250 6.2L and looking at the SCT 5 Star Tuner and most packages include 5 tunes but not sure which ones to get.  Seems like most people run 87/89 tow/performance so do I really need 5 options.  I'm thinking 87 economy for long highway trips not towing, 87 performance for close to home driving and 87 & 89 tow.  Couldn't really find the differences between towing and performance.  

18 minutes ago, wedge88 said:

Curious which tunes you went with?  I just bought a 14' Ford F250 6.2L and looking at the SCT 5 Star Tuner and most packages include 5 tunes but not sure which ones to get.  Seems like most people run 87/89 tow/performance so do I really need 5 options.  I'm thinking 87 economy for long highway trips not towing, 87 performance for close to home driving and 87 & 89 tow.  Couldn't really find the differences between towing and performance.  

I went with the 89 tow/performance, 91 tow/performance and 91 performance.  

Are you looking at buying the sct tuner from 5* as well as the custom tunes?  Which sct model are you looking at?  

I wouldn't even bother with the economy tunes.  I am getting 2+ mpg better than stock on the 89 tow/perf tune. 

Huge difference between the tow/perf and performance tunes.  5* really discourages towing with just a performance tune. 

1 minute ago, ID AX said:

I went with the 89 tow/performance, 91 tow/performance and 91 performance.  

Are you looking at buying the sct tuner from 5* as well as the custom tunes?  Which sct model are you looking at?  

I wouldn't even bother with the economy tunes.  I am getting 2+ mpg better than stock on the 89 tow/perf tune. 

Huge difference between the tow/perf and performance tunes.  5* really discourages towing with just a performance tune. 

I probably just need to call 5 star.  I am new to the tuner world so I'm not even sure which questions to ask but know I would like to see better performance out of my 6.2L.  It is a beast of a motor but coming from an ecoboost, I would like something a little more "snappier" around town driving. Only towed a short trip so far with the new rig but sure a tune wouldn't hurt as we trailer boat a lot of miles over the summer.  I also pull larger equipment like tractors and skidsteers occassionally and we are looking at a 28-32' camper so I am thinking I may want a "lighter duty and heavy duty tow tune"

This was the one I was looking at from http://5startuning.com/product/2011-2016-super-duty-6-2l-sct-x4-choice-5-star-custom-tunes-7015/

So the sct x4 will come with 5 (iirc) canned or generic tunes.  It can also hold up to 10 custom tunes.  I would call 5* and talk to them.  Very friendly and helpful people.  I'm sure they can take your situation and point you in the right direction.