Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Direct drives dead/3 event boat dead?

footndale

Gotta say I prefer the promo tower although it could be taller, over the titan 3 on the responses.

That being said you guys have to stop posting pics of your DD's. I'm getting major jealousy over here with my overweight girl :cry:

Also, if you guys think the course is hard to drive in your DD, try driving it in a wider boat that doesn't track as well. I line up the middle-right bow rail support with the right gate buoy:

008-2004_malibu_wakesetter_23_xti-bow_ri

I love this thread. I can tell you that I'll be buying a response or sportster later in life when the time is right to make a badass slalom/barefoot rig.

Fact: DD's are the best looking boats on the lake. And the TXi may be the best dd that malibu had made (all things considered), but i still have respect for the older responses and older dd's in general.

I have the promo (xtp) tower on my rlxi, I'l try to find a pic, as it fit's the lines of the windshield even better than on the txi, and a major reason why i'm hesitant to upgrade to txi. As for comparison to cc200dd, and mc 197, for a family it is MUCH better as it's roomier, and the bow seats are used all the time by our kids and adults alike. In the cc and mc the bow is so small it's 2 little kids at best and in the rlxi or txi, I often have 5 young (under 9) girls up there and having a blast. the 2007 rlxi is a bit higher freeboard, especially in the bow than previous lxi. We are a family of 4 and live in the boat, and put close to 150 hours a year in a very short ontario summer. Perfect family ski boat. Typical day is Dad (me) skiis course with buddies early, then take wife and kids for ski. Lunch, ski or surf to party island cove for afternoon, then kids may ski home, bbq, bed and repeat!

This is from factory, hence the protective cover on the tower. I can't figure out how to upload photos and am limited on my office workstation. You can see the lines fit the boat nicely.

XTP tower looks about the same height as the popular mini tower for the 197. Both look fantastic IMO. And I'm only 5'9" so it would be great for us if I had the time and money to retrofit to my narrow old boat. My first choice on these for sure.

Love the T3 but it would have to be a DL6 version (6" shorter) for me. Too tall is cosmetically not o.k.

The G3 looks great too--there was a red one in classifieds not long ago-- but access to board the boat from the side and potential resale to a shortliner would concern me.

Yes, you can hit your head, I'm 5'11", but IMO it looks much better and fits the sleek lines of the boat. We use it with weekend guests that board and when kids are wakesurfing etc... Also it's used full time as monkey bars when relaxing at party cove.

7 year old slaloms on a d3 x5 (pink of course) 63" at 21 mph in open water and we slow down to about 18mph when working on the course. The wake isn't small but it's very soft and gradual. when in good aggresive position, she will pop out of the water a bit at either speed and this is our main focus is to get decent angle cross course which will keep the ski on edge and cut the wake better. this is easier said than done with a young girl. We're making progress, but our water is cold now and she's started with her other sports.

Good to see all the Response owners coming out to support the "dark side". All the room you need for a family of 4. Idling out for a winter set.

attachicon.gifri1-02.jpg

If that was my daughter, I'd have that pic on my office desk. That looks like a proud dad moment :thumbup:

• Like 1

Good to see all the Response owners coming out to support the "dark side". All the room you need for a family of 4. Idling out for a winter set.

attachicon.gifri1-02.jpg

That is you! Its Joe from the club. We will be at the course Saturday mid morning, maybe we will see you guys out there.

That is you! Its Joe from the club. We will be at the course Saturday mid morning, maybe we will see you guys out there.

Sounds like we will have a good crew for Sat ! We got to get you in a Malibu .

If that was my daughter, I'd have that pic on my office desk. That looks like a proud dad moment :thumbup:

+1 to that. Great photo and looks like it is getting a bit chilly

There are a couple of responses where we ski. Nice looking boats

Edited by brad72

Sounds like we will have a good crew for Sat ! We got to get you in a Malibu .

In all honesty I like being the odd ball with a different boat and a different ski ;).

But if the right RLXI came along, I think I would jump on the band wagon.

Its sounding like there will be quite a few people out there Saturday, I guess its the last hurrah before it starts cooling down. Saw Matt yesterday he said he's going to be out there too with a full boat. If the stars align I may try to make it out tomorrow too.

attachicon.gifri1-02.jpg

That is probably the coolest picture I have ever seen on this site.

what speed you guys pulling youngsters and beginner slalom skiers and how is the wake (or lack of) at that speed?

I pull my 10 yr old at 25mph on 2 skis. Not quite ready to drop one yet. My Wife is a beginner and i pull her at 27 on the slalom. Wake on sslxi at those speeds is good, i'm sure it would be better on the response.

Two of my buddies both purchased 2012 TXI tugs this spring. Three event boats certainly aren't dead around here.

As for the wake, my 11 year old son is skiing at 22 off @ 26mph and one wife is skiing 15-22off @ 30mph. With all of the hype about the longer lines and slower speed wakes being better, I just don't see it unfortunately. It isn't any worse in my opinion, but both my son and friend's wife say they prefer my 98 Echelon wake. Now, at 34mph my impression is that the 28off wake on the TXI is similar to my 22off and the 32off wake on the TXI is about like my 28off wake. All very good wakes, just some impressions.

I have the promo (xtp) tower on my rlxi, I'l try to find a pic, as it fit's the lines of the windshield even better than on the txi, and a major reason why i'm hesitant to upgrade to txi. As for comparison to cc200dd, and mc 197, for a family it is MUCH better as it's roomier, and the bow seats are used all the time by our kids and adults alike. In the cc and mc the bow is so small it's 2 little kids at best and in the rlxi or txi, I often have 5 young (under 9) girls up there and having a blast. the 2007 rlxi is a bit higher freeboard, especially in the bow than previous lxi. We are a family of 4 and live in the boat, and put close to 150 hours a year in a very short ontario summer. Perfect family ski boat. Typical day is Dad (me) skiis course with buddies early, then take wife and kids for ski. Lunch, ski or surf to party island cove for afternoon, then kids may ski home, bbq, bed and repeat!

Great point about bow space! Even in my lx that is walk over of course I normally have two friends up there when we are cruising. One one my friends is about 6'3" and 250 and he sits up there a lot and I've never taken a wave over the front with him and his girl friend up there. Even at idle I haven't. I do pay attention but I don't even go completely broadside or avoid them just go right at the waves. I think that's another thing that Malibu doesn't get praised enough with is their bow freeboard in the responses. Best in the industry.

Two of my buddies both purchased 2012 TXI tugs this spring. Three event boats certainly aren't dead around here.

As for the wake, my 11 year old son is skiing at 22 off @ 26mph and one wife is skiing 15-22off @ 30mph. With all of the hype about the longer lines and slower speed wakes being better, I just don't see it unfortunately. It isn't any worse in my opinion, but both my son and friend's wife say they prefer my 98 Echelon wake. Now, at 34mph my impression is that the 28off wake on the TXI is similar to my 22off and the 32off wake on the TXI is about like my 28off wake. All very good wakes, just some impressions.

That explains why my 11 year old had trouble at 20mph, I was obviously going to slow. Only ever towered adults so kids is something new to me and I need to learn a new driving style