Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Direct drives dead/3 event boat dead?

footndale

I'm a big fan of the carbon pro but its not a whole lot, if at all, cheaper than the big 3. Local marina here said it starts at 73k! Canada pricing so probably 10k more than the states. But still 63k is a lot.

Its hard to imagine paying 50k plus for a newish boat when you can get a current RLX hull in good condition for ~10k

Also this may sound crazy to you sixball but have you skied a VTX? I've skied a RLXi many times and it was no more impressive than our VTX. Than again I'm not a short line skier and I understand tracking would more of an issue. Really I don't believe there is any reason for malibu to have a boat between the RLXi and the VTX. Or maybe drop the RLXi and replace it with the SSLXi

So why does malibu make the TXi and the RLX?

I've skied both the vtx and rlxi, and although I think the vtx is fantastic for a v-drive, especially at 32mph+, I would disagree that it's at the same level as the response. The differences are even more pronounced at lower speeds. My 2 cents and I'm in the course regularly with my vtx.

yes, they turn all 3 fins slightly to the left to really work against the rudder torque and make going in a straight line easier. It tracks on rails. Not noticable or necessary on recreational boats, but the boats pulling the top tournaments it's the difference between and acceptable boat path, or a lost record due to poor boat path.

• Like 2

I've skied both the vtx and rlxi, and although I think the vtx is fantastic for a v-drive, especially at 32mph+, I would disagree that it's at the same level as the response. The differences are even more pronounced at lower speeds. My 2 cents and I'm in the course regularly with my vtx.

I personally have had different results as have some of the ppl I ski with. I totally agree on lower speeds and tracking, the two are incomparable.

yes, they turn all 3 fins slightly to the left to really work against the rudder torque and make going in a straight line easier. It tracks on rails. Not noticable or necessary on recreational boats, but the boats pulling the top tournaments it's the difference between and acceptable boat path, or a lost record due to poor boat path.

I wish you could spec this on a VTX. If they could improve the tracking on the VTX through a course I think it would get a lot more consideration from more serious slalom skiers.

trickynicky, have you done any tuning to the rudder? Mine has the little tab you can adjust but when we set the boat up, the malibu guy did it the old fashioned way and did a lot of grinding down the entire rear right edge of the rudder. It makes a huge difference. If I let go of the wheel while driving I will go into a right hand power turn! But this gives a nice resistance to drive straight in the course and 'block' or slightly pressure the wheel when the skier's pull is felt. You don't have to counter steer, but just a bit of pressure at the right time and once in rythem it simple.

trickynicky, have you done any tuning to the rudder? Mine has the little tab you can adjust but when we set the boat up, the malibu guy did it the old fashioned way and did a lot of grinding down the entire rear right edge of the rudder. It makes a huge difference. If I let go of the wheel while driving I will go into a right hand power turn! But this gives a nice resistance to drive straight in the course and 'block' or slightly pressure the wheel when the skier's pull is felt. You don't have to counter steer, but just a bit of pressure at the right time and once in rythem it simple.

Yes we just got the ski-course back in this year and I made the appropriate adjustments with the rudder. All in all, I was very unimpressed with the system. It did make some difference but really not much. i tried ~20 adjustments, both directions ranging from 1/4" to a full 90 degrees and was never really happy with it. Maybe next time I'll have to bitew the bullet and break out the grinder or file.

Also my family owns a cottage on white lake in the arnprior pakenham area. I'm there every weekend in the summer and probably a ski night every second wednesday after work. I also used to be a member of GWSA ski club on the rideau. I have some ski friends on Lac St. Benard near wakefield, Hawk Lake near buckingham and another near Chelsea (all on the quebec side). I did have to winterize the boat last weekend as I have a couple busy weeks ahead as I am moving out to the west coast in less than 2 weeks :woot: , albeit without the bu :cry:

This thread is great.

My son has really gotten addicted to skiing this year. We hardley ever wakeboard or surf anymore. My wife commented the other day that maybe we should look for a better ski boat next year. I have been looking, but there just aren't many NEW family friendly ski boats on the market. I really like the TXi with promo tower. Plus, it has the wedge for those times when you want to wakeboard. I was thinking about a x10 or vlx with diamond hull, but neither will be as great as a DD. Problem with us is that we use public lake so we need something that can handle the water for those times when we are not skiing.

I wish MC still made the 214 or x14 - only problem with those are there is no subpad - thank goodness Malibu has kept the sunpad around. Who knows what the future holds for us, but right now we are enjoying the rising popularity of skiing!

Our DD boat has been awesome for us. When I started looking for a tow boat, of course I was looking for a V-drive, but came across our sunsetter at a deal I really couldn't turn down. Me nor my wife were sold on having the engine in the middle of the boat, but we have seen some benefits from it for sure. Our kids are younger, and for wake-boarding we are able to pull at a slower speed and have a clean wake. I love the way it handles, we can turn around on a dime. If we want a bigger wake, throw down the wedge and load it up with ballast and off we go. We are able to achieve a pretty nice surf wake. My son has started to slalom some now, and for that, the wake is perfect. I really am shocked at how much I have enjoyed the benefits of the motor being a big hump in the middle.

• Like 2

Our DD boat has been awesome for us. When I started looking for a tow boat, of course I was looking for a V-drive, but came across our sunsetter at a deal I really couldn't turn down. Me nor my wife were sold on having the engine in the middle of the boat, but we have seen some benefits from it for sure. Our kids are younger, and for wake-boarding we are able to pull at a slower speed and have a clean wake. I love the way it handles, we can turn around on a dime. If we want a bigger wake, throw down the wedge and load it up with ballast and off we go. We are able to achieve a pretty nice surf wake. My son has started to slalom some now, and for that, the wake is perfect. I really am shocked at how much I have enjoyed the benefits of the motor being a big hump in the middle.

Interesting. Like you initially thought, I would've thought a DD would be a terrible family boat.

This thread is great.

My son has really gotten addicted to skiing this year. We hardley ever wakeboard or surf anymore. My wife commented the other day that maybe we should look for a better ski boat next year. I have been looking, but there just aren't many NEW family friendly ski boats on the market. I really like the TXi with promo tower. Plus, it has the wedge for those times when you want to wakeboard. I was thinking about a x10 or vlx with diamond hull, but neither will be as great as a DD. Problem with us is that we use public lake so we need something that can handle the water for those times when we are not skiing.

I wish MC still made the 214 or x14 - only problem with those are there is no subpad - thank goodness Malibu has kept the sunpad around. Who knows what the future holds for us, but right now we are enjoying the rising popularity of skiing!

Bama you just went way up in my book! :rockon: I think this may be enough to cancel out your MC :Tease3: On a serious note, for more beginner and mainly slower skiers you really gotta commit to a DD which really kills the aspect of a family boat or even handling chop too well. I think the TXi is the most family friendly of the NEW ski-boats.

As for V-drives, you know where my vote is.

• Like 3

Thanks, makes sense. I wonder if a fin grind (similar to rudder) would accomplish the same thing on an already assembled (and glued) set of fins?

You have hit on one of the key assets to the latest grouping and dd tourney boats being the importance of tracking through the course. A wider/bigger/taller boat becomes more of a handful through the course particularly for less than expert drivers although the weight can help offset the pull force of a shortline skier.

Many the same reasons why we love our XTi.

didn't Malibu make a FXi or something like that? I remember a ski boat that looked like a wakesetter - had higher freeboard and bow seating.

Yup, it was the same hull as the VTX diamond but in DD form. Looked like an RLXi and came with a 400lb rear hard tank. It was right in between the VTX and RLXi and IMO a waster. There is such thing as too much compromise and I believe that was it. Didn't last long that's for sure.

Same story for us. Wife was not real fond of the idea. We found the sslxi for a great deal, and I wanted a DD anyway so we picked it up. It has been amazing, and the Wife loves it. She drives it mostly anyway through the course, and is totally satisfied with all the storage. The engine hump is a perfect leg rest, and a slide for the little ones! With the wedge down the wake is more than enough for everyone in my crew. Easy access to the engine is a bonus as well.

I wish they still made the RFXi, Malibu just needed to make it to the deminsions of SSLXI.

I've never been in an SSLXi but from what I've read the newer boats with wider beam offer as much room as there longer predecessors. I have heard time and time again that VTX is darn close to the space of a ~2000 VLX. So I can only imagine a new RLXi would have as much room as a SSLXi.

If you like the RFXi so much why do you have a RLX why not a RLXi?

Like I said I am a non-believer in the FXi, I think between the RLXi and VTX the bases are covered far better.

I'm a big fan of the carbon pro but its not a whole lot, if at all, cheaper than the big 3. Local marina here said it starts at 73k! Canada pricing so probably 10k more than the states. But still 63k is a lot.

Its hard to imagine paying 50k plus for a newish boat when you can get a current RLX hull in good condition for ~10k

Also this may sound crazy to you sixball but have you skied a VTX? I've skied a RLXi many times and it was no more impressive than our VTX. Than again I'm not a short line skier and I understand tracking would more of an issue. Really I don't believe there is any reason for malibu to have a boat between the RLXi and the VTX. Or maybe drop the RLXi and replace it with the SSLXi

So why does malibu make the TXi and the RLX?

I have skied a number of V drives not sure a VTX. I owned a V drive before my R LXI. and skied it at 41 off to get the best wake witch was not bad but no DD. The 1st wakes are good but you have a trough after #2. I know I am a picky som Bitc#! Dammer if I had endless funds I would step up to a TXI but I am retired and a fixed income. You will never convince me a V drive will match a DD. And as good a some of the V drives handle its like comparing a Mustang GT to a Porsche Carrera. Give me a DD or you will never ski your best.

This thread is great.

I wish MC still made the 214 or x14 - only problem with those are there is no subpad - thank goodness Malibu has kept the sunpad around. Who knows what the future holds for us, but right now we are enjoying the rising popularity of skiing.

I got a buddy that is a serious slalom skier, and he said that the X14v was extremely close to being just as good as the PS214 ski wake was. He has a CC200, though, and they are obviously not anywhere near that good. He owned a PS214 before, until I got a wake boat. At which time he went went to a DD, because we didn't need to use his boat for wakeboarding anymore.

Long story, short, you may want to demo an X14v as well. VLX with diamond hull would also work fairly good I think. I cant comment on the new X10, but I would imagine it will be better than the X2.

Also, for the guys wondering about the rear storage on the new PS197. It is supposed to have an optional sunpad/compartments. WTT boats probably wont have them, but I would assume that most dealer inventory boats would have them.

Edited by TenTwentyOne

I have skied a number of V drives not sure a VTX. I owned a V drive before my R LXI. and skied it at 41 off to get the best wake witch was not bad but no DD. The 1st wakes are good but you have a trough after #2. I know I am a picky som Bitc#! Dammer if I had endless funds I would step up to a TXI but I am retired and a fixed income. You will never convince me a V drive will match a DD. And as good a some of the V drives handle its like comparing a Mustang GT to a Porsche Carrera. Give me a DD or you will never ski your best.

All good skiers are picky! And I agree on the handling. Also I asked in another thread without response are you running buoys at 41' off? What speed?

I got a buddy that is a serious slalom skier, and he said that the X14v was extremely close to being just as good as the PS214 ski wake was. He has a CC200, though, and they are obviously not anywhere near that good. He owned a PS214 before, until I got a wake boat. At which time he went went to a DD, because we didn't need to use his boat for wakeboarding anymore.

Long story, short, you may want to demo an X14v as well. VLX with diamond hull would also work fairly good I think. I cant comment on the new X10, but I would imagine it will be better than the X2.

Also, for the guys wondering about the rear storage on the new PS197. It is supposed to have an optional sunpad/compartments. WTT boats probably wont have them, but I would assume that most dealer inventory boats would have them.

If your going to get a v-drive for skiing you have 2 options, VTX or CC200 sport v.

If your going to get a v-drive for skiing you have 2 options, VTX or CC200 sport v.

100% agreed! and I think the 200 skis a bit better, but doesn't come with surfgate or NSS!

Edited by 3sport