Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu needs to step up its game...bigger ballast ..new boat !

malibu.c.c

that is all true. and I'm sure that a good driver could beat me around a track in a lesser vehicle. Doesn't mean I can't enjoy the more powerful car or bigger wake even though I'm not skilled enough to take full advantage.

Tige tried that "for their own good" marketing plan 10 years ago (our hulls are so awesome you don't even NEED ballast) and look where that got them.... now installing huge factory ballast.

I love the ballast debate. I am nowhere near a pro level, but I love this video of a young byerly. Proves the point that technique is more important than wake

Ask them or anyone who has started with a small wake. I learned my first tantrum behind a 17ft I/O. You eat .... way more and work a lot harder to get the air and come around fast enough to land tricks. I would say ask any of those riders what size wake they like to hit and the larger wakes are more fun, easier on the body, and allow you to progress faster(have more time in the air).

I can out ride and get more air than all my friends even with less wake than they ride... I don't enjoy the smaller wake even with better technique. If you know how to pop and can use it having the ability to ride a bigger wake is a plus.

I remember riding with boards that were pointed like a surf board, bindings that were a velcro strap across your arch and a rubber band around your heel... You made use of what you had at the time. Gear is getting better and moving forward... why shouldn't everything else? You have the option to still only fill to what you want... others can add more.

Edited by WakeGirl
Please watch the profanity

I learned a tantrum and backroll behind an 18ft flat bottom with a Johnson outboard. I know where your coming from. I enjoy a big wake for a lofty air, but realistically, stock is plenty. I've never added weight other than stock and wedge to either of my vlx's and it's been great. I don't need 4k of ballast, I'm not on the tour. The only time I add ballast is for surfing. But for boarding, plenty happy with an out of the box wake. An I have ridden natique, centurion, moomba, Mastercraft, Calabria. Out of the box the Calabria was the biggest wake, but washy.

• Like 1

It's been a couple of years since I've ridden behind a VLX and I've gotten a lot better in that time. The wake on my boat is kinda finiky at lower speeds so I've gotten used to 23 at 70'. Went out on a friend's 11 vlx and with full ballast and the wedge I had the same experience that it was very small at 23. Boy was it clean at 18 tho!

Yea, the VLX wake is really small at 23 mph with quad ballast and wedge! LMAO.... that is funny. You forget to mention the MB brick wall you are hitting, I just spent four days on the MB, it has zero transition... no go for me. I will take the VLX/LSV wake, so much easier to ride.

Yea, the VLX wake is really small at 23 mph with quad ballast and wedge! LMAO.... that is funny. You forget to mention the MB brick wall you are hitting, I just spent four days on the MB, it has zero transition... no go for me. I will take the VLX/LSV wake, so much easier to ride.

No worries Fman I was just sharing my experience. I'm no pro by any means and it is not my intent to derail the conversation from Malibu wakes.

We have a wake boarder on our lake that rides behind a 2004 direct drive Malibu no wedge center ballast and can do just about every trick in the book. 900's, every flip in the book, you name it he can do it. It's all about fundamentals and doing them right.

I have to say my 25LSV has been more then I ever dreamed. Sitting in a v-ride now feels uncomfortably small. With 4100lbs of bags even though it is not the wake hull I would put it up against just about any wake and feel confident people will for the most part agree. The room is unreal I am 6'4" and don't have to worry about hitting the tower. And talk about rough water it takes it like a champ. Love the by design but would like to see a 496 with 425 HP a standard as this one was

No worries Fman I was just sharing my experience. I'm no pro by any means and it is not my intent to derail the conversation from Malibu wakes.

I had to laugh, just recently had a very advanced rider out on our vlx and he commented on how great the wake is stock out of the box. It gets better with extra weight, but he was ripping it up with 6 people in the boat quad tanks and wedge.

Malibu Kick ... wake edition !

New tower similar to mastercraft !

Factory ballast like G23!

New rear end ...now all malibu's starting to look the same...

New gauges ...

Bigger storage ..

Interior in new lsv is nice..stay with lsv interior add reversible bench seat

And one bad ... wrap !

Limited edition boat !

Come on Malibu you need a bad ... ,monster wake boat !

450 hp engine standard

Bigger wedge

Larger surfgates

Need to get up there with the big boys !

Tige is coming out with a monster wake boat October 2nd ..

Nautique has the g's

Mastercraft xstar ...

These have huge wakes on factory ballast !

If Malibu that is better quality and more reliable can do

Something better ...

I think I like the spirit, competition is good, but I am sure Malibu is happy with sales of the 22 MXZ and 24 MXZ compared to Star, G, and not out yet Tige.

Edited by skurfer

So do we carry people around whenever we need to ride ?

No, I most definitely do not. Hence why I agree with you 100% I would love to see all new Wakesetter models coming with extra factory ballast. I am not saying we need 4000lbs, but an honest 800-1200lb increase over the current 1250lbs would be ideal in my mind. The wake is a ton more fun at about 2500-2800lbs of ballast with the wedge dropped.

Should everyone ride the boat at that weight... NO. Start all your kids and new comers at a bit over no weight. Once they have balance and can jump a bit work them into some extra wake size. By the time a person has a solid wake jump they can ride a full MLS and wedge wakesetter. If you are out trying 5's and bigger plus any basic invert with a spin I truly feel the extra weight would be a huge plus(I wouldn't need to carry my extra sacs)

I don't know of many people at the advanced level that do not add extra weight... unless they are out riding behind someone elses boat and being polite! I have told a few mastercraft owners their wake was great, but couldn't wait to get back to my VLX. I know I don't demand people own or fill extra sacs if they are taking me for a free ride.

Not that I would ever buy a G or star because neither of them do what I want to do, but the most appealing thing wake/ballast wise for me of these boats isn't the wakeboard wake but the surf wake. I have seen numerous pics of nice G surf waves with STOCK ballast, not stock PNP ballast. I think that would be appealing to the majority of people here in the wakesetter lineup. As for the other fancy and expensive features, I agree with most that, while nice, I'm not sure there "worth" the premium.

Also, I don't think Malibu could start adding appropriate ballast to the wakesetter lineup without making it as ugly as a G. The new 23 is about my limits in appeal when it comes to freeboard.

Extra ballast will be a good start ...and the tower ..it will change sooner then latter ...and no one said it needs to be a power tower ...geeez ..the g3 is a pain in the .... to put down ! Remove bolts , be careful when folding it down ,push it and hold it up hard to
Make sure it's tight ,make sure no weight goes on it when it's down or it will damage dash...come on...
Look at other towers ...you seriously think you have the perfect tower for over 80000 Usd boats !! And everyone either surfing or
Riding is adding sacs ! ...

Edited by WakeGirl
Please watch the profanity

If you have the quick release knobs, the g3 is easy as pie to fold.

And when u release the quick release knobs after pushing tower up with your shoulder. Or help from someone else ...we're

Does it collapse down to ? Or do you put something to hold it from resting on the dash ? And how many times does one of the quick release knobs get loose ...and if it goes in and out of a garage every time ...it's a pain ..to put up and down ,and having something to hold it from tearing the dash ....seriously ...you guys for real ? I owned a 2011 ..my dash got ripped first time tower rested on it ,Malibu changed it and fast as they have excellent service in my opinion ! And every time I got it in and out I used that factory piece of wood to hold up collapsed tower ....come on this was an 80000 plus boat and I need a wood stand to hold my collapsed tower and screwing in and out knobs to get it up and down...

Edited by malibu.c.c

Does your tower fold completely down without loosening the G3 tower mirror bracket and the bimini pole holder on drivers side? If I do not do this they will touch the dash board, I need it completely folded to clear the 7'5" opening in my garage. I like the Nautique and Supra quick handle release, I think Malibu could come up with something better. I had to laugh when you dropped the allen wrench on the ground, that is not convenient to me. A quick release handle would be perfect.

Does anyone travel with their tower down? To me, that's what is slick about the "power towers". No more speaker or rack sox and constantly cleaning up bug splatter. And not interested in buying a case of Costco sized Saran Wrap.

I will say the G3 tower looks slick, but would sacrifice some aesthetics to be able to travel with it down (which I assume you can't with any level of convenience because I don't know anyone that does)

I'm finding it hard to go along with most of the sentiment in this thread. It feels like most reponders have a Malibu "sells the most boats" so we don't need to change attitude. That is a horrible business attitude. Buisness most evolve or it will die. I would have no interest in purchasing said boat the OP describes (Yet ;)). I feel most reponders feel the same way, but to not even want it in the lineup, why? Why not have a broader selection? Why not be more competitive against the competition? To still not want it, even though you wouldn't buy it, and it has no effect on you seems strange. I love Malibu. I think it has a good thing going but to not be thinking about ways to take buisness from competitiors is shortsided.