Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Toyota Tundra tow vehicle questions, would a supercharger help?

TallRedRider

Edwin, about 99% sure you have the 4.6 in that 07 and you will need to upgrade to a 5.7 sorry but that motor is a turd.

Negative sir - 07 CrewMax, 5.7. Every time I take may boat out, it's at least 100 miles of dragging the boat. In 2011, I towed my boat 33 times on the same 100 mile trip to the ski lake...plenty of oppty to compare towing in Drive, Drive with Tow/Haul mode, 5th gear in S mode, 5th gear in S mode with Tow/ Haul mode, sometimes with just me in the truck, sometimes with the truck loaded with 5 people, etc. I track every ounce of fuel that goes in the thing and w/o out question, the most efficient way to pull is to let the 5.7 spin a few more rpms in 5th. It's got to be wayyy easier on the transmission as it almost never downshifts.

Another thing that's not been mentioned - the Tundra mileage is very sensitive to head winds as well. I average 11.6mpg pulling my RLXi / tandem trailer...put even a 10 mph headwind and it's down to 11mpg. Push the highway speeds consistently over 72 or 73mph and she gets even thirstier.

I stand by my original comment that the OP would be better off with a 1 ton diesel rig, especially if he's pulling for extended distances on a regular basis.

• Like 2

No. It can't.

My 2010 is rated to tow 10,100 lbs. How the F can this vehicle not tow your boat and/or trailer? My Tundra tows my MXZ or my 29 foot trailer at nearly 6000 ft. elevation and up 60 degree grades and I still get 10 mpg.

I put a supercharger on a 5.4 Triton F150 and it never quite performed up to my expectations. I have read that the TRD kit is pretty nice, but I would seriously consider getting something more suited for your towing needs. I think all the gasser 1/2 ton pickup's struggle with weight over 8000 pounds. Especially if the trailers have high frontal areas like your toy hauler.

Edited by Tims

My 2010 is rated to tow 10,100 lbs. How the F can this vehicle not tow your boat and/or trailer? My Tundra tows my MXZ or my 29 foot trailer at nearly 6000 ft. elevation and up 60 degree grades and I still get 10 mpg.

60 degree grades? Man I wouldn't even walk up that not to mention tow a trailer.

• Like 4

Supercharging would create heating issues and that's why intercoolers are a key component. Towing heavy creates heating issues. The two combined might just be a towing disaster. Plus with supercharging you will end up looking for a custom tuner because of the intended purpose is towing and fuel economy maximization.

It may not look the best but have you considered trying a wind deflector on the truck roof? Some trailers are terrible for having smooth wind flow and can act more like pulling a parachute behind you.

I've never even seen a boat launch as steep as 60 degrees. Sounds like your roads are intense!

OP, skip the supercharger. Your toy hauler needs a diesel.

Edited by UWSkier

If you put a super charger on it what are you going to do for the transmission?

Why are you pulling a 8000 pound trailer and my guess is it weighs way more 75 mph? How much is your tongue weight? My guess is your over payload capacity.

What do you put in the trailer and bed of your truck? My guess is it's maxed out or over.

My Tundra which I absolutely love pulls my trailer which weighs 6k loaded awesome all over Oregon. It's the best truck I've ever owned.

I'm sorry but the whole original post doesn't make sense. First, the Tundra should have no problem towing the 247 at highway speeds. My dad and I have each owned Tundras and never had issues with the load you describe. Second, that diesel should not be straining on the 8k toy hauler. My best friends F250 tows 10k down the highway with moderate ease. Third, regardless of what I think about the Tundras capability a supercharger is asking for major trouble mainly due to heat. Supercharging gas engines and towing is not a good mix.

I have beat this dog as long as I am going to this is the specs and different gears for the different trucks. :horse:

Sorry, Edwin I was thinking of the Sequoia they didn't get the 5.7 till 08.

Powertrains and Performance

Three engines are available on the 2007 Toyota Tundra half-ton truck. Standard on the Tundra Regular Cab and standard-bed Double Cab is a 4.0-liter V6 rated for 236 hp and 266 pound-feet of torque. Optional on these models and standard on all other Tundras is a 4.7-liter V8 capable of 271 hp and 313 lb-ft of torque. Optional across the line is a much stronger 5.7-liter V8 good for 381 hp and 401 lb-ft of torque.

The base V6 and 4.7-liter V8 use a five-speed automatic transmission. With either of these engines, your Tundra will have a 3.91 rear axle ratio unless you get the towing package, which provides a 4.10 ratio. The big V8 is paired with a six-speed automatic; 4.10 rear gears are standard and the tow package comes with a 4.30 ratio. All versions of the Tundra can be equipped with two-wheel drive or four-wheel drive, and all trucks come with a limited-slip rear differential. A properly equipped 4x2 Tundra Regular Cab can tow up to 10,800 pounds. The Tundra's maximum Gross Combined Weight Rating or GCWR (the total weight of the vehicle, including trailer, cargo, passengers and fuel load) is 16,000 pounds.

BTW just looked it up my SUV has the 4.30 gear ratio.

Way to see on the 2010

http://www.vibratesoftware.com/html_help/2011/Toyota/2010/2010_Toyota_Tundra.htm

Edited by Bradley Thornton

No matter what you do you are still going to be towing 8000+ lbs with a 5000lb 1/2 ton truck, why not just cruise at 65, you'll only get to Lake Powell 10 minutes slower if that :)

Now if you go to Duck Creek fully loaded with your toy hauler, that's going to be a slow climb in the Tundra! It's the only time I wish I had a diesel vs. my V10

By the way are you running stock wheels/tires on the tundra or did you go with something bigger? If bigger a gear change is pretty cheap and will make a big difference.

Edited by ct77

I'm sorry but the whole original post doesn't make sense. First, the Tundra should have no problem towing the 247 at highway speeds. My dad and I have each owned Tundras and never had issues with the load you describe. Second, that diesel should not be straining on the 8k toy hauler. My best friends F250 tows 10k down the highway with moderate ease. Third, regardless of what I think about the Tundras capability a supercharger is asking for major trouble mainly due to heat. Supercharging gas engines and towing is not a good mix.

I should make it clear that the Tundra does Ok with the 247, just not as good as the diesel. So when the diesel with toy hauler slows to 50 MPH on a long steep hill, it made me not even try the Tundra.

I am not sure on the exact elevation change, but to go camping, I am looking at going from 2700 feet to nearly 10,000 feet elevation. There are some flat sections, but you get the idea of the types of mountains I may be climbing.

I think it is a good question about why the diesel does not do better with a trailer that should easily be under 10K. The 6.0 diesel is known to not be Ford's best towing engine. But it still is a diesel and was rated to pull a house. Another reason for why I am pushing the wife to justify dumping the Tundra, so that I can see what a real diesel will do.

I have 20 inch rims, but lower profile tires, so the diameter is the same. If I pulled the toy hauler with the Tundra, I would be in for a tire swap as well.

No matter what you do you are still going to be towing 8000+ lbs with a 5000lb 1/2 ton truck, why not just cruise at 65, you'll only get to Lake Powell 10 minutes slower if that :)

Now if you go to Duck Creek fully loaded with your toy hauler, that's going to be a slow climb in the Tundra! It's the only time I wish I had a diesel vs. my V10

By the way are you running stock wheels/tires on the tundra or did you go with something bigger? If bigger a gear change is pretty cheap and will make a big difference.

Again, pulling the boat is not the problem. It just doesn't do higher speeds as well as the diesel.

I have made the assumption that it won't do well. Maybe I just need to hook it up and go up the freeway a few miles to see. Half way to Cedar city and I would have my answer.

Aren't you over the GVWR rating of 6900lbs for the Tundra?

My 2012 F150 is 7650lbs for a GVWR and I wouldn't attempt to pull over 8000lbs with it on a regular basis over a long distance. I would think you need to be in a 3/4 ton minimum.

Edited by black06VLX

I am not sure on the exact elevation change, but to go camping, I am looking at going from 2700 feet to nearly 10,000 feet elevation. There are some flat sections, but you get the idea of the types of mountains I may be climbing.

Given the altitudes you're pulling, the diesel is absolutely the way to go. The turbo is 100% in it's element as the air gets thin. I recall towing my old MC with my 99 F250 / Powerstroke from St. Louis to Lake Powell. It did a great job all the way there...but the way that thing chugged up the hills from Flagstaff up to Powell was impressive beyond belief. I was passing Chevy 1500's that weren't pulling anything. I was astounded how well it did, including getting great fuel mileage while in the mountains.

I've had all kinds of tow vehicles - 2 F250 power strokes, a Yukon Denali, Nissan Armada, Range Rover, and my 07 Tundra. The F250's and the Tundra were 3rd vehicles that got used 90% of the time for pulling a boat. The F250's were the best at tugging the boat but the lack of maneuverability made mama nervous when she had to drive it. Turning radius from here to Cleveland comes to mind.

The 07 Tundra has been in the stable the longest of any of them, with no end in sight. It's been a fantastic tow vehicle, the best interior layout of any of the rigs (Crew Max back seat is huge), and it's manageable for the wife to drive around town if needed. For my RLXi towing needs, I'd say its the best of any of my tow rigs.

For your needs, given the weight of the trailers, frontal area of some, and the thin air, your choice is simple - pick one of the big 3 diesel rigs and enjoy the ride.

• Like 3

To the OP, going back to the original question about the Tundra, I think you should take another look at FAI and headers. Even if they don't, as mentioned, add that much more horsepower and torque, it may add a significant amount of more useable horsepower and torque, and help the engine breath much better at 3-4k RPMs when you are hoofing it up some of the hills. You mentioned checking Toyota and fanboy forums, but have you also checked RV/5th wheel forums to see what people there are doing related to towing with the Tundra?

For those saying the Tundra can pull his trailers, you're right. They are within the Tundra's limits....but it's going to get crap mileage and most likely wear out the truck prematurely.

I've stopped by the weigh stations while coming back from camping and boat/trailer weighed in at over 6,500 pounds. Add in another 800lbs of gear in the back of the truck and I'm towing/hauling more a decent amount of weight with my Tundra. It can handle the weight and tows it well...but if I towed more then 3-4 long (300+ miles) trips a year I would be looking at a 3/4 ton diesel. Since my towing is less then 10% of the overall useage of the truck, I can't justify the diesel for my daily 12 mile round trip commute to work.

If the OP wants to continue towing heavy loads, at those elevations (and often), IMO he should replace the Tundra with something that is built specifically for towing

• Like 1

This won't help now, but it looks like Toyota might follow Nissan and come out with a US Diesel model.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2013/08/cummins-diesel-v8-considered-for-toyota-tundra.html

Check out some of the Tundra forums, that article has been debunked (unfortunately). Plus Toyota wouldn't offer a cummins engine as they have their own in house diesel power plant made by Hino which I believe Toyota owns. They use it in trucks and suv's in other parts of the world...once again we in the US get shafted on the smaller diesel engines for 1/2 ton trucks and SUVs

To the Ford issue, do you still have the EGR valve in place? I have a 2006 F250 with 6.0L and regularly haul 10-11K trailers. I never really noticed how hard of a time it was having until I lost the EGR valve on a lake trip. Purchased and installed a new one and it made a lot of difference in power and acceleration. Once we were home from the trip, I did the EGR delete kit and the difference is incredible. No more restriction from the tree hugging yuppie folks that designed it.

Aren't you over the GVWR rating of 6900lbs for the Tundra?

My 2012 F150 is 7650lbs for a GVWR and I wouldn't attempt to pull over 8000lbs with it on a regular basis over a long distance. I would think you need to be in a 3/4 ton minimum.

The GVWR is the weight of the vehicle itself, not the trailer. That includes the vehicle, occupants and payload.

To the Ford issue, do you still have the EGR valve in place? I have a 2006 F250 with 6.0L and regularly haul 10-11K trailers. I never really noticed how hard of a time it was having until I lost the EGR valve on a lake trip. Purchased and installed a new one and it made a lot of difference in power and acceleration. Once we were home from the trip, I did the EGR delete kit and the difference is incredible. No more restriction from the tree hugging yuppie folks that designed it.

Good thought. Deleting the EGR might help it. But again, it would be like putting money into improving the performance of a ship that may be sinking. The AC stopped working mysteriously the other day..thank goodness it was only 95 degrees while I was moving out all of the furniture from a home. (sarcasm here..I guess I should be glad that it wasn't 107 degrees). Then the AC just started working again the next day.

The GVWR is the weight of the vehicle itself, not the trailer. That includes the vehicle, occupants and payload.

I think you have that wrong - http://www.onlinetowingguide.com/guidelines/gvwr.html

This is what your vehicle is allowed to carry. So use that number to figure out what you can have for a tongue weight with people in the truck and all your other crap you carry. I know for a fact my F150 doesn't weigh 7650lbs. Take that number minus the truck weight and that is what I have left for weight room to carry. I believe you are suppose to use between 10-15% of GVWR as a safe tongue weight for towing.

What a manufacturer says you can tow will always be a joke and way way over what your GVWR is actual rated at for towing and carrying. If you are pulled over and the cop looks at your GVWR and your trailer is more... you get a ticket. Most of the engines and stuff today can pull way more than what the frame is rated to tow. You are limited to the truck frame/axles/brakes/etc.

Edited by black06VLX

GCWR is the rating important when deciding on how much weight you can tow, not GVWR. The GCWR of the tundra is going to be north of 16,000 pounds.

Da. Truck itself weighs around 6k (mine did) and #10k+ tow rating = GCWR of well over 16k.