Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Towed with an F-150 EcoBoost yesterday

wakeboarder3780

I tow with a 2006 GMC Sierra 4X4 Crew Cab diesel with the Allison 6 speed, 6 inch lift and 35's. I don't even feel the Malibu back there. When I towed my much heavier boats (Parker 25', ETicket 29') I routinely got 13 mpg. I get 15 when I'm not towing. I always seem to get the same mileage regardless how I drive. I also installed air bags which makes towing much easier.

I custom ordered my 2011 Lariat ecoboost back in Feb. 2011 and took delivery in April 2011. The truck has been great with only one issue. I was one of the people that got the 6th gear shudder when the engine was under light load. It would only happen in the fall and winter months. It was relatively mild, but enough to annoy and concern me. It turned out to be condensation building in the inter cooler. Apparently the inter cooler was too efficient at cooling. This condition persisted for the first two years. A software update in 2012 almost eliminated the issue, but not completely. In April this year, Ford finally redesigned the inter cooler and provided another software update. The issue has not reoccurred, but fall hasn't hit yet. I'm pretty happy with the truck right now, but I do feel the last software update tamed the turbos a little. The truck still has plenty of power, but a little less than it did before the fix...

Edited by Cory
  • Like 1

I just towed my boat to Portland yesterday on I-5. The trip was 190 miles one way. I set cruise at 71 mph for most of the trip and got 12.5 mpg towing my 5840 lbs boat and trailer. No other gear in the truck--I was alone. For a short while I had cruise at 65 mph and was getting 13 mpg. My truck is a 4x4 lariat with the 3.55 rear gear ratio. I was running premium.

Edited by Cory

Recent demo by Boating Mag folks on an Ecoboost F150 vs a 6.2L Raptor.

Bottom line, they were nearly identical in performance and MPGs while towing... but with the EB you can get 17-18mpgs when not towing vs the 13mph with the 6.2L.

http://www.boatingmag.com/how-to/trailering/tow-vehicle-shootout-v-8-or-v-6?page=0,0&src=SOC%24dom%3Dfb

you guys with the newer Fords, ones that are more than two years old, how are the bodies and the trucks holding up? Our last tow vehicle was an 04 Expedition, and it is the MAIN reason I didn't even consider Fords for the new truck. Curious if Ford has upped their game any.

you guys with the newer Fords, ones that are more than two years old, how are the bodies and the trucks holding up? Our last tow vehicle was an 04 Expedition, and it is the MAIN reason I didn't even consider Fords for the new truck. Curious if Ford has upped their game any.

I'll be anxious to see that too. My brother has a 2011 crew cab XLT. Nice and quiet interior and comfortable, but the passenger door flutters like crazy when you close it, and all F150s of the most recent vintage have some terrible bed flex/shake. Those are really the only quality issues I have seen first-hand with it.

Bottom line, they were nearly identical in performance and MPGs while towing... but with the EB you can get 17-18mpgs when not towing vs the 13mph with the 6.2L.

http://www.boatingmag.com/how-to/trailering/tow-vehicle-shootout-v-8-or-v-6?page=0,0&src=SOC%24dom%3Dfb

Would have been more telling if they tested the eco against the 6.2 in an FX4 or Lariat configuration. (Less weight and smaller tires.) I think the outcome would have been a bit different. I get 16mpg empty and can pull almost a truck length to 80mph against my buddies Eco with my 6.2 F150.

All of the current Ford engines perform well.

I don't doubt performance is equal to a 6.2, but I don't tow everyday so the 3.5 it suits me even better. We'll see how it does for the 100k I drive every 3 years. As someone already stated it is NOT a diesel replacement, never will be.

I have added Firestone Riderites to this truck. All the F150's I've previously owned had rear to front rake, and this one does not. It would not drop much when I hook up the boat, but the truck did not sit level. It may be the FX4 package, not sure, but I didn't want to change the ride...so far air bags for $300 installed myself work great.

Edit: reading my comment I should have said - I would not be surprised if the 6.2 out performed the EB. I also don't know that the Raptor would be the best suited as a tow vehicle.

Edited by thtrog

My wife and I had an 08 Expedition and it had some rusting issues in the gate. They all did. I've had 3 F-150's since '04 and none of them have had any issues. I've also had 3 F-150's from the '80's vintage.....they, on the other hand, rusted quickly. They've all been good trucks though.

• Like 1

Thanks for calling out the rust issue. I had NO idea. Sounds like the hood and gate are aluminum and it's common for them both to blister. I found this video which is pretty disconcerting:

Does anyone know if ford still has the aluminum contamination issues? I'll be damned if I'm going to shell out big bucks on something where the manufacturer can't even keep paint on it. What a joke. How common is this today??

I've got the 6.2L in my f150 and no complaints towing. I get 11.5-13 mpg towing depending on how many mountain passes I have to cross. Coming from a cummins diesel I'm pretty impressed with the ford 6.2L. I think the ecoboost is a helluva motor too.

I've got the 6.2L in my f150 and no complaints towing. I get 11.5-13 mpg towing depending on how many mountain passes I have to cross. Coming from a cummins diesel I'm pretty impressed with the ford 6.2L. I think the ecoboost is a helluva motor too.

Even better with a tune..... :whistle: I'm at LEAST 8mph faster than you.

just wait for a year and a half is for the new f-150 it's full aluminum body so you don't have to worry, your frame will rust away before even a piece of the body even thought about it.

the only problem will be when you take it to an autobody shop, you gotta make sure they replace it with aluminum, they're going to do cheap repairs and scrap the aluminum for $$$

Edited by mnhays

My wife and I had an 08 Expedition and it had some rusting issues in the gate. They all did. I've had 3 F-150's since '04 and none of them have had any issues. I've also had 3 F-150's from the '80's vintage.....they, on the other hand, rusted quickly. They've all been good trucks though.

The tail gate was one thing, but the truck had very little rocker panels left when we traded it in, and the structural supports under the hood holding the front clip were virtually gone. I've never seen a truck rust like this one did. Many other things on the truck just didn't hold up either. I am wondering if this was a "happened during that time" type of thing or if Ford is still building a showroom wonder.

The tail gate was one thing, but the truck had very little rocker panels left when we traded it in, and the structural supports under the hood holding the front clip were virtually gone. I've never seen a truck rust like this one did. Many other things on the truck just didn't hold up either. I am wondering if this was a "happened during that time" type of thing or if Ford is still building a showroom wonder.

Thats what I'm tryig to figure out, exactly how widspread this paint adhesion, bubbling, "rusting" problem really is. Made me really nervous to hear about...

I towed a F-150 EcoBoost yesterday, for those that are running the tuner. I stopped and gave a guy a hand yesterday that was broke down. I am pretty sure he burned a hole in a piston on his ecoboost. He was pulling a trailer with a RZR and two 4 wheeler's on it. He said he was trying to pass another vehicle going up a hill and had to stay on the gas for a while when it started smoking. Pulled him to the next turn off, he said he was going to put it back to stock tune and take it to the dealership. I hope they work with him.

Every Expedition I've ever seen or been around has failure on the lift gate. They nearly always rust at the corners of the rear window and nearly always at the bottom of the lift gate. Also, it's super common to see bubbles above and below the license plate.

I towed a F-150 EcoBoost yesterday, for those that are running the tuner. I stopped and gave a guy a hand yesterday that was broke down. I am pretty sure he burned a hole in a piston on his ecoboost. He was pulling a trailer with a RZR and two 4 wheeler's on it. He said he was trying to pass another vehicle going up a hill and had to stay on the gas for a while when it started smoking. Pulled him to the next turn off, he said he was going to put it back to stock tune and take it to the dealership. I hope they work with him.

Its not likely he burned a hole. Its likely he was having pre ignition and yes it will blow a hole in a piston. Now the bad part its very easy to look at the parts and see what was going on. Next the dealer will pull the ECU data and its going to show what was going on. Might just want to man up and get it fixed.

Put it back to stock and no one will know? Bawhawhahwhahahahah! Ya. That doesn't work anymore. They are watching............

Good luck to this fictitious character, but if you came through my shop , you WILL be buying an engine. Maybe not from us, but Ford won't be paying for it that's for sure.

• Like 1

Every Expedition I've ever seen or been around has failure on the lift gate. They nearly always rust at the corners of the rear window and nearly always at the bottom of the lift gate. Also, it's super common to see bubbles above and below the license plate.

I don't want to hijack this thread anymore, but the tailgate was only a small portion of the corrosion on that truck. In fact, the corrosion started during warranty and FOMOCO wouldn't do anything about it. We had thin paint spider cracks all over the roof, and much rust as I pointed out before. I like the idea of the ecoboost, but wondering what type of packaging it comes in.

The EB is a great idea for the average person that tows to the local lake. It looks as if it tows great and would be a lot of fun when not towing. Now I think if you tow long distances a few times a year it may not be the best pick. A 6 hour tow to the WOW and then back and a few other trip would be hard on that motor over time. Well thats just my 2 cents. I like it just isn't right for me.

+1, that's the main reason we wend with the GM 6.2 over the EB

• Like 1