Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Dodge 1500 Diesel

nyryan2001

Dodge nailed it with the size, hardly a diesel for a "lawnmower". I guess the ecoboost only befitting a snowblower ryan? 420 lb ft of torque and 25 mpg highway. Lawnmower? The imports HAVE to use a larger diesel b/c they have no 3/4 ton or up offerrings, so they have to wow people with a diesel plant's power. If people want a larger diesel in a Ram, then BUY IT, its always been available. I would have zero interest in a 5.0 diesel in a 1/2 ton truck. Zero. It defeats the entire purpose of an efficient 1/2 ton diesel. Toyota and Nissan are just trying to steal sales from 3/4 american offerings for whom customers still have the CHOICE of more power. Toyota and Nissan are answering a question NO ONE asked, an extremely powerful, pricey motor in a half ton truck. That's dumb IMO. However, people HAVE asked for an efficient and capable diesel which Dodge is providing. You want/need a full size diesel, get a real work horse.

Dodge nailed it with the size, hardly a diesel for a "lawnmower". I guess the ecoboost only befitting a snowblower ryan? 420 lb ft of torque and 25 mpg highway. Lawnmower? The imports HAVE to use a larger diesel b/c they have no 3/4 ton or up offerrings, so they have to wow people with a diesel plant's power. If people want a larger diesel in a Ram, then BUY IT, its always been available. I would have zero interest in a 5.0 diesel in a 1/2 ton truck. Zero. It defeats the entire purpose of an efficient 1/2 ton diesel. Toyota and Nissan are just trying to steal sales from 3/4 american offerings for whom customers still have the CHOICE of more power. Toyota and Nissan are answering a question NO ONE asked, an extremely powerful, pricey motor in a half ton truck. That's dumb IMO. However, people HAVE asked for an efficient and capable diesel which Dodge is providing. You want/need a full size diesel, get a real work horse.

I don't know that nobody asked the question (about a powerful engine in a half ton)... gm puts the 6.2L gasser in the half tons right?

If Nissan and Toyota really wanted to distinguish themselves, they'd put that powerful diesel in a SUV... a long long open gap in the market.

I don't know that nobody asked the question (about a powerful engine in a half ton)... gm puts the 6.2L gasser in the half tons right?

If Nissan and Toyota really wanted to distinguish themselves, they'd put that powerful diesel in a SUV... a long long open gap in the market.

You speaking to powerful gas engines or diesel? If gas, considering the F-series, silverado, and Ram are 3 of the 7 best selling vehicles in the country, and the most opted engines in all approach or exceed 400 pounds of torque, I'm going to suggest that yes, the question has been asked fot a "powerful" engine in a half ton. IF you're asking who asked teh question for an efficient diesel, heck, there's been scores of people just on here who have clammored for a diesel in a half ton. I recall the thread well which described GM's scuttling of the 3.5 L diesel project for half tons. Distinguish that with people who have called for a HD-power in a 1/2 ton frame, no I don't recall any of those...except now Ryan.

As to diesels in a Japanese SUV, yes I suppose that is an open gap, but given not a single SUV is in top 10 in annual sales, seems that gap is not supported by demand (to me). Not to mention Toyota nor Nissan have never put a diesel in any of their American cars, it would posit that breaking into that market would be substantially more challenging than for an American SUV maker who all still decline to do so.

PS I should have continued my self-imposed restraint!

Edited by 85 Barefoot

Dodge has hardly nailed it. An Ecoboost can get 22-24 mpg on the highway, has nearly the same torque curve, way more horsepower, runs on fuel that is .60 cents per gallon cheaper, 1/2 the maintenance cost, less complex emissions, and no $3000 premium. If you are going to to pay the extra $$ to get a diesel, at least get one that will out pull the gassers. I will bet that the 5.0 cummins will be within 1mpg of the Dodge in efficiency and its hardly a dumb option. Having owned a HD pickup the biggest issue is the size and ride quality. Putting 500+ pound feet of torque in a smaller truck that rides better, sounds great to me!!

I am not totally up to speed on the new trucks so I may be sticking my foot in my mouth here but......

Is Ram still the only full size using coil spring? I have a hang up over that. Seems if your working that truck hard, those rear suspension bushes just aren't going to last. Its not a huge job to replace them but I would gladly give up ride quality for durability. I know plenty of people that would be on the opposite side of the fence as well.

Still, I like my Nissan. For me it would be another Nissan or it would be a Ford. But my bank acct says keep the one ya got.

Historically those haven't sold real well. How many diesel suburbans or excursions have you seen? Not many right. If the public was screaming for them, the manufactures would likely have responded. Now, in your particular case? That's the perfect vehicle for you!

The million dollar question is what are gas and fuel prices going to do? The diesel engine should get 20% better fuel mileage than most gas powered 1/2 ton trucks. Diesel here in MI. Is only about 10% higher than gas. But, if gas goes down to 3$ then diesel doesn't make sense.

My tired '02 explorer has 210hp & about 225tq. The tq is the real issue with any tow vehicle. I never use all 210hp and rev it to the limiter. We need the tq. When you buy a Ford, ecoboost or not, you're paying premium price. The Dodge should be a few thousand less. I will definately test drive ecoboost and ecodiesel when the time comes to replace the old girl.

85-

First, glad to have you back.

Here is what you are missing. Folks want a 1/2T that can reasonably and comfortably tow 6-9k lbs. Current 1/2Ts can do it, just not all that comfy. Even the biggest gassers dont do that well, they eat 6-9mpg and rev like crazy doing it, including Ecoboost, same MPGs while towing....albiet tracking 18mpgs on the Eco unloaded, but reliability has folks sketchy on them. I wish they had a V8 Eco. Not sure if you saw it, I posted a link to a 3.5 Eco vs 6.2V8 shootout... they were identical in performance and MPGs towing...Eco saw 18mpg unloaded.

Folks dont want a 3/4T to do it: stiff suspension and the extra $$ for that suspension, trying to park and maneuver at Walmart parking lots etc. $1000 3/4T brake jobs etc etc.

Folks would LOVE a large diesel in a 1/2T truck to see the 13/17mpg numbers...probrably even improved... that we see in the 3/4T trucks.... with a 1/2t ride, 1/2t feel, to tow up to 10k.

Historically those haven't sold real well. How many diesel suburbans or excursions have you seen? Not many right. If the public was screaming for them, the manufactures would likely have responded. Now, in your particular case? That's the perfect vehicle for you!

The diesel suburban was sooooo long ago that most have forgotten about it, right?

The excursion was a 3/4 ton and was excoriated in the media as the pinnacle of gluttony.

And in any case you're looking at 9 years since the diesel Ex left the market.

So.... I still think there's room in the market for a half ton diesel SUV... but it has to do SOMETHING better than gas. Either better fuel economy, or better towing torque (and hopefully both). If EPA mileage numbers can both stay above 20, and the SUV has a 9k+ tow rating, that sounds like an eco-friendly tow rig (and would be distinguishable from the german offerings). Maybe ford can get their with an ecoboost expedition, in which case there's a pretty good argument that the diesel answers a question nobody asked.

85-

First, glad to have you back.

Here is what you are missing. Folks want a 1/2T that can reasonably and comfortably tow 6-9k lbs. Current 1/2Ts can do it, just not all that comfy. Even the biggest gassers dont do that well, they eat 6-9mpg and rev like crazy doing it, including Ecoboost, same MPGs while towing....albiet tracking 18mpgs on the Eco unloaded, but reliability has folks sketchy on them. I wish they had a V8 Eco. Not sure if you saw it, I posted a link to a 3.5 Eco vs 6.2V8 shootout... they were identical in performance and MPGs towing...Eco saw 18mpg unloaded.

Folks dont want a 3/4T to do it: stiff suspension and the extra $$ for that suspension, trying to park and maneuver at Walmart parking lots etc. $1000 3/4T brake jobs etc etc.

Folks would LOVE a large diesel in a 1/2T truck to see the 13/17mpg numbers...probrably even improved... that we see in the 3/4T trucks.... with a 1/2t ride, 1/2t feel, to tow up to 10k.

I don't want to say that these wishes are impossible, Ryan, but.... who wouldn't want a single vehicle that could tow a house comfortably on Sunday and then commute like an RSX S-type on Monday morning. Alas, I think it's different horses for different courses. A half ton is ALWAYS going to be a compromise between comfort and capacity.

Dodge has hardly nailed it. An Ecoboost can get 22-24 mpg on the highway, has nearly the same torque curve, way more horsepower, runs on fuel that is .60 cents per gallon cheaper, 1/2 the maintenance cost, less complex emissions, and no $3000 premium. If you are going to to pay the extra $$ to get a diesel, at least get one that will out pull the gassers. I will bet that the 5.0 cummins will be within 1mpg of the Dodge in efficiency and its hardly a dumb option. Having owned a HD pickup the biggest issue is the size and ride quality. Putting 500+ pound feet of torque in a smaller truck that rides better, sounds great to me!!

I have 2 good friends with the EB...one averages 16 and the other 18. Neither have ever seen close to 22 or 24. Heck thats more than its even rated for. And while the diesel may be a premium, the ram is also a less expensive truck than the f-150...add in betetr warranty....sorry, I think that's nailed.

As to 5.0 being w/in 1 mpg of the 3.0...friendly wager?

Any trailer load over 8500 pounds is really pushing 3/4 ton territory. Even if you wedge an 800 pound torque diesel in a half ton truck, it would collapse under the stress while twisting your driveshaft into a pretzel.

Any trailer load over 8500 pounds is really pushing 3/4 ton territory. Even if you wedge an 800 pound torque diesel in a half ton truck, it would collapse under the stress while twisting your driveshaft into a pretzel.

Exactly, which is why I'm wondering who has asked for torque monster engine in a truck fram ill-equipped to handle that sort of weight regularly.

I have 2 good friends with the EB...one averages 16 and the other 18. Neither have ever seen close to 22 or 24. Heck thats more than its even rated for. And while the diesel may be a premium, the ram is also a less expensive truck than the f-150...add in betetr warranty....sorry, I think that's nailed.

As to 5.0 being w/in 1 mpg of the 3.0...friendly wager?

Go back and read the article. The Ram diesel (2WD?) got 20 mpg average and 13 towing. My "1 good friend" with Ecoboost gets 18 average, 12 towing, and 22 on highway going 60mph in a 4WD model with 3:55 gears. Sorry, but 2mpg does not make up for fuel cost delta and the Ram diesel sure as hell does not come close in performance. Hardly nailed it.

Not sure where you get your pricing, but when I truck shoped 6 months ago, the Ram was the same price as the F150 when you got down to writing up the deal.

I will take you up on the friendly wager that a Titan/Cummins will be within 1mpg of the Ram (combined real world mileage). Problem is you will have to stay as an active participant on this forum.

:)

Edited by Tims
  • Like 1

Depends on what you are towing and how often. Many 1/2 ton's are rated to tow over 11,000 pounds now. Boats are easy tows, and the trailers have brakes. You want to tow your 8500 pound boat a few times a year on a road trip, 1/2 ton can easily do the job and you get the ride quality and improved mileage for commuting. You want to tow a 10,000lb fith wheel across the country, then yes, 1/2 ton is a bad choice.

Exactly, which is why I'm wondering who has asked for torque monster engine in a truck fram ill-equipped to handle that sort of weight regularly.

Lots of people want more torque. Why the heck do they come out with more power every few years??? The frames can handle it just fine.

Here is a better question. Who wants to pay the premium for a diesel, pay more money in overall fuel cost per mile, more money in maintenance cost, and have less performance?

Go back and read the article. The Ram diesel (2WD?) got 20 mpg average and 13 towing. My "1 good friend" with Ecoboost gets 18 average, 12 towing, and 22 on highway going 60mph in a 4WD model with 3:55 gears. Sorry, but 2mpg does not make up for fuel cost delta and the Ram diesel sure as hell does not come close in performance. Hardly nailed it.

Not sure where you get your pricing, but when I truck shoped 6 months ago, the Ram was the same price as the F150 when you got down to writing up the deal.

I will take you up on the friendly wager that a Titan/Cummins will be within 1mpg of the Ram (combined real world mileage). Problem is you will have to stay as an active participant on this forum.

:)

The article says 20.1 in mountainous driving. IT also says "After completing our tow testing, we were even more pleased to see the fuel economyicon1.png – 13.3 mpg. And that was on some of the most arduous terrain over which you can tow boat."

Is it really unfair to suggest it would get 15 not going over 8% grades as the article also says? I'm pretty confident the 25 mpg figure I referenced was from a ram release posted on the crew a while back when it was posted the GCherokee would get 30. Either way, as to pricing, I bought a laramie 4x4 loaded to the gills (I mean the gills, nitrousbird would even agree) for 38 and change. Ford with ecoboost and optioned the same (platinum) couldn't come close to that....not close...Way more than 3k difference allowing a "free" upgrade to the diesel compared to the ford.

I'll be around long to enough to collect on a wager that a 5.0 diesel titan will not get 19 mpg being tested in the mountains you're darn right! PErhaps you're forgetting all the other fuel saving tech in the dodge that we have no indication will be present on the nissan. In normal mixed driving I bet the dodge gets 22, NOT lollygagging around at 60 (who drives 60 anyway?). No way that 5.0 will get 21. If so, I'll eat crow of your choice.

cheers

Lots of people want more torque. Why the heck do they come out with more power every few years??? The frames can handle it just fine.

Here is a better question. Who wants to pay the premium for a diesel, pay more money in overall fuel cost per mile, more money in maintenance cost, and have less performance?

You want to see an HD engine delivering HD economy in a half ton truck. I don't. We differ. We're adults, we're allowed to do that. I do, however, have an interest in world class economy in a half ton truck, you don't, we differ, no biggie.

Apparently every person who drives a diesel truck NOW. That's a pretty obvious answer don't you think?

I am not totally up to speed on the new trucks so I may be sticking my foot in my mouth here but......

Is Ram still the only full size using coil spring? I have a hang up over that.

I believe18 wheelers use this setup. Seems to work well for over the road truckers.....

Edited by bamabonners