Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Listed 247 Wave

-BS-

5 oil changes later....Maybe it's just a fact that everything has been ok since, but I think we were taking it as it took 5 oil changes to get the water out of the crankcase.

Small doses of water, as in a hose leaking onto the air filter would not hydrolock the engine. It's gonna take more than that, more importantly..........Who cares? None of us own said boat. Maybe if Brian would reply we would get some more info.

BL (I like your wave) at full compression there is not much space in the cylinder. Water will not compress. So as soon as there is enough water to fill the void between top of piston and valves, its over. It does not require a cylinder full of water to lock, just so much that the crank won't turn over because the water can't compress. Of course the speed with which it will lock would depend on the amount of water available, but it would not take much.

I do agree that 5 changes seems a little high though. Would have suggested a deformity to me.

ruff, not trying to get twisted up w you but don't confuse water in gas with water going in the intake. The engine is GULPING air and with water going in intake it will gulp that too. It will hydrolock virtually instantly with water going in teh intake

Naw the gas comment was referring to another discussion that nick and I were involved in regarding running blowers.....

Look all I am saying is that there's gotta be another piece to the puzzle. That's all.

Edited by Ruffdog

I COMPLETELY understand what it takes to hydrolock an engine. More than you probably dare to care. It's going to depend on the "squish" of the given cylinder,rpm, and throttle openeing to detmine how much water could be delivered to said cylinder.. In a muliple cylinder engine IT will take more than a hose leaking onto th air filter. Have you ever tried to clean a K$N filter? They don't excatly flow water very well being covered with oil and all. Don't forget there is a throttle plate restricting flow also.

This debate is stupud. We only know part of the story, and given what we were told it took 5 oil changes to clear the water from the crankcase........possibly........That's not a mild case of water injestion. It would take a lot of water to fill the cank case in that matter. I would suspect another source for the water in oil .

• Like 1

I COMPLETELY understand what it takes to hydrolock an engine. More than you probably dare to care. It's going to depend on the "squish" of the given cylinder,rpm, and throttle openeing to detmine how much water could be delivered to said cylinder.. In a muliple cylinder engine IT will take more than a hose leaking onto th air filter. Have you ever tried to clean a K$N filter? They don't excatly flow water very well being covered with oil and all. Don't forget there is a throttle plate restricting flow also.

This debate is stupud. We only know part of the story, and given what we were told it took 5 oil changes to clear the water from the crankcase........possibly........That's not a mild case of water injestion. It would take a lot of water to fill the cank case in that matter. I would suspect another source for the water in oil .

Exactly.... Especially the part about this being stupid :lol: Edited by Ruffdog

Funny you mention that on the K&N...I recently washed mine on my truck and reoiled etc but didn't let dry as recommended...seems OK so far but I don't disgaree at all that K&N not exactly a funnel! And I'm not disgareeing at all on what you said. Sure there are plenty of variables, but as soon as one cylinder reaches critical mass...its over

Stupid debate? c'mon Bobby! I'm the resident instigator!

Edited by 85 Barefoot

I assumed water came in through the intake, but honestly don't know for sure. Tends to be a problem when the bilge starts filling up, water gets on the belt and starts throwing it around. Yes, like you I am not sure how he/she/all in boat did not know there was a problem??? Water to the floor b/c ballast hose popped off bag. The only bilge pump, in the rear could not keep up. I assume water entered the engine (8.1) through the intake because the belt was splashing water on and into the intake. Maybe not? The 8.1 isn't exactly the smoothest running engine at idle. I assume they were at idle filling ballast and I assume they thought the bilge pump was a ballast tank overflow....Too many assumptions... :) Oil was clear after 3 changes, but 4 and 5 were for precaution. BTW, they had 4 Phase 5 boards, if I would have known I could have traded one for the oil changes...:)

Edited by skurfer