Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

POST YOUR BAREFOOT VIDEOS HERE

JB-FOOT

On 9/29/2016 at 9:14 PM, Yeaitsslo said:

Maybe my 4th time out  bought a suit and a boat and have been self training myself from YouTube basically   Any advice???

Awesome!!!!

drop a ski long line at 40+ Mph and it teaches you one foots, you don't put your front foot in a binding, you put it on top of an older worn out well used ski binding of the 70's or early 80's variety, I do it to one side of it snd it crushes down the binding.  You plant your rear heal in water the one closest to wake coming out of an old simple toe binding in your improved riding position as comment from above but not in any hurry put foot in water and in front of your other foot a little  in air and then push heal slowly into water gauging the pressure of heal against your weight and balance not in a hurry and keeping knee bent toes up and then simply rock your weight more onto the bare foot snd the ski slips away and then you set second heal again slowly cause your already one footing so no hurry, second one only really needs toes up and far less pressure cause your coming slowly from the other foot to two feet. I do it at 42 at 190lbs and it makes one foots easier, once you do both one foots progress to one foot and then opposite hand release and perform alternating one foot one hands.  

Learn your tumble turns on boom by simply seating down to one hip keeping your arms long and when your body and feet release backwards simply pull the handle to pin it to either hip better the 360 hip then 180, you have to try for the 180 back the 360 comes naturally youll pull  the rope naturally you'll spin right around but don't hurry the feet plant or the hands coming away from hip until you fully come around as you are riding in your low back and don't  have to hurry it.  Once you get that down you can slowly plant to one foot instead of two.  Wear footing shorts  under barefooting wetsuit and your entire backside is padded for tumbles and deep starts, deep starts long require that  you have to cheek out to get outside of wake, remember your low back and upper butt is your slidfing and spinning surface so you want it well padded, barefoot suits haventhr big back pad as well.  

Deep starts long line or boom require same basic maneuver of turning your body/back  into an extremely arched concave ski.  Practice this entire maneuver on land or on your motor pad on your v drive with someone keeping tension on rope handle for you or tie it to tower and it will simulate the up procedure on boom. 

You put toes on rope one set of toes over other, you fully extend legs pointing toes to overlay them. You lay flat in water breathing, your hands hold barefoot handle (big) pressed against your lower waist just above your privates with arms at sides slightly bent . So now your a raft with pointed toes and extended legs on a rope that the boat driver keeps out the slack as you set your self. You don't try now to look at boat, just one oral "slack" command to put in gear and final tighten rope your toes are now hard pressing against, then "whew", (backwards the guy flips his body and there is no oral go command cause face down after flip ) to go.  At that call you slam your head and entire back totally and awkwardly back sticking your chest out achieving the over emphasized concave arch out of your body with toes still on rope and head is now your rudder and it and upper shoulders are the  only things riding as your body planes out, as your body starts to ride on top on your back with your head back but not over arched any more you start to lean your torso and head up keeping hands at waist privates and extended legs snd pointed toes still on top of rope at toes and you really want to stick your chest out which keeps your body up and forward and your grip on handle more taught, important coming over wake and possibly bouncing as well as doing it outside of wake when accelerating keeps your riding posture up and knees extended and toes pointed. Learning deep starts I believe is best ftom ski pylon, barefooters now have towers and the deep up you do is probably more like it would be on boom where  your legs are angled up instead of more flat when connected to ski pylon instead of tower or barefoot tower or boom, if you learn on boom 1st its the same start technique but the progression to the feet is diff cause you never ride on your cheeks, you ride on your low back cause angle and there is no cheeking out, that is best learned long line and then the boom is as easy as it actually easier than your reverse  drag up half a tumble turn which is going to possibly negatively affect the ability to pull to hip as it did for you in vid. Deep up my way from the long line method and you will be suprised at how much easier and faster thr pull to the hip is when you come from your feet on a tumble turn as below as your legs never really fully extend backwards and the backwards extension and the pull to hip is swift and must be exact and stay pinned till you come around which will be easier and faster than your drag and pull method.

toe holds are easy but counter intuitive after learning your one foots.  You slowly lean towards boat keeping arms extended during your one foot as you raise foot and lower the handle  hold until engaged on top of your foot and keep your lean more forward as you let hands go, relax and ride with hands very neat handle which also helps with the lean forward routine until you get s hot foot and then grab handle and raise up at same time and slowly with no hurry ease foot back in as your lean slightly back in your position  re established, so it's one foot slowly  to then toe hold forward lean to one foot back lean then two not being in a hurry keeping each step separated and executed separate. in contests unless doing toehold wake crosses, the hand release a fraction of a second and their on to next trick in a run, the casual barefooter slows it down and it gets easy when you slow it down transition from one thing to the next.  You'll know when you want to get out of toe hold cause riding foot will get a hot foot, which is why I started doing alternating one foot one hands because I would get a serious hot foot at 42 

Edited by granddaddy55
  • 7 months later...
4 hours ago, footndale said:

It's a new season and I'm glad it has started. Nothing fancy here, especially using just my cell phone.

Hopefully will have a new video after tomo to post up.  How long is that rope? 100ft?  

• 3 weeks later...

That was nuts.  I can just imagine the front guy losing the toeholds and going head into a**...haha.  That reminds me, need to finish training the wife on pulling back deeps.

Just now, Dare2goBare said:

Footndale 

Thx for the entertainment at the end, cut short though. ...:rockon:

I guess I did. I felt the waves so, I knew it would be bouncy video. You get most of it though. :)  We strive not to fall, though I have found 2 holes in the water so far.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

You guys are pretty good!  Love that glass.

My challenge is skiing in shows.  You never know what kind of water you are going to get, and it's never glass.  Last week the water was perfect, then right before the show tubers and surfers were running around.  We are the first act, and have a specific start time.  So off we go, and rode right thru a bunch of rollers that came in at precisely the wrong time, I tried to get low and butt slide thru it but I bounced hard on like the second roller and it was all over.  Probably my best wipe out ever, 3 full rotations cartwheel style.  It took me a second or two afterwards to figure out which way was up and where the shoreline was.  Here's a pic, probably should have let go of that handle a little sooner.  My co-footer never even stepped off, he rode 2 skis right thru the show.

59774a49abe0b_2017wipeoutatMakeaWish.jpg.d7d94f9dc9c74a95a08c863be9e12abc.jpg

So - what is the best way to foot inside the wake in the bubbles?  I think that if I can figure that out, my chances of staying up are wayyy better than outside of the wake in whatever conditions exist out there.  I've only tried the bubbles a few times, it never felt right so I gave up.  The surface is harder, so do you just foot like you are going faster?

5 minutes ago, Michigan boarder said:

You guys are pretty good!  Love that glass.

My challenge is skiing in shows.  You never know what kind of water you are going to get, and it's never glass.  Last week the water was perfect, then right before the show tubers and surfers were running around.  We are the first act, and have a specific start time.  So off we go, and rode right thru a bunch of rollers that came in at precisely the wrong time, I tried to get low and butt slide thru it but I bounced hard on like the second roller and it was all over.  Probably my best wipe out ever, 3 full rotations cartwheel style.  It took me a second or two afterwards to figure out which way was up and where the shoreline was.  Here's a pic, probably should have let go of that handle a little sooner.  My co-footer never even stepped off, he rode 2 skis right thru the show.

59774a49abe0b_2017wipeoutatMakeaWish.jpg.d7d94f9dc9c74a95a08c863be9e12abc.jpg

So - what is the best way to foot inside the wake in the bubbles?  I think that if I can figure that out, my chances of staying up are wayyy better than outside of the wake in whatever conditions exist out there.  I've only tried the bubbles a few times, it never felt right so I gave up.  The surface is harder, so do you just foot like you are going faster?

Show footing sucks. :)  I always footed center behind boat, because the water was always consistent. And being a little bigger than the young pups, they could shine outside the wake.  Footing behind isn't any different behind vs outside curl. Just a different feel. Usually feels harder. Show footing usually don't stand up much. Really good, 90, 90, 90 degree form. 

Previous team had State this last weekend, they did BF pyramids in some nasty water. Almost made it all the way through before falling. 

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, footndale said:

Show footing sucks. :)  I always footed center behind boat, because the water was always consistent. And being a little bigger than the young pups, they could shine outside the wake.  Footing behind isn't any different behind vs outside curl. Just a different feel. Usually feels harder. Show footing usually don't stand up much. Really good, 90, 90, 90 degree form. 

Previous team had State this last weekend, they did BF pyramids in some nasty water. Almost made it all the way through before falling. 

OK - I'm trying it tonight.  I've successfully long line footed 11 times, 8 of them in a show, still learning my way thru this stuff.  We have a show next week in Grand Haven for the Coast Guard Fest and with the seawalls the water is always brutal.

Never heard 90 90 90.  Is that arms 90 degree to torso, torso 90 to thighs, thighs 90 to calves?  That is the form I always use.  And get low, easier to bounce on your butt once or twice if you are too low, rather than go over your toes.

On the vid:

1. Nice footing carnage at 06:30
  2. The dock start toe hold pyramid at 23:40 is sweet, that is a really tough one
  3. The girls line dock grab at 44:47 was very nice, the entire line skiied away!

So still a  show ski/footer virgin.  Keep at it and grit your teeth. :)  And make sure you get to foot for fun in real calm water so you know what barefooting should be.

Correct on the 90,90,90.  Used to show ski with a guy that did more butt skiing than regular footing. :)

First year in Division 1 for Aqua skiers in a long time and they took 4th with that show. In 2000s they used to be the team to beat.

42 minutes ago, footndale said:

So still a  show ski/footer virgin.  Keep at it and grit your teeth. :)  And make sure you get to foot for fun in real calm water so you know what barefooting should be.

Correct on the 90,90,90.  Used to show ski with a guy that did more butt skiing than regular footing. :)

First year in Division 1 for Aqua skiers in a long time and they took 4th with that show. In 2000s they used to be the team to beat.

Curious to hear what will eventually make me NOT a virgin...

I love this stuff, being around people who love it equally is fantastic.

With our house remodel going on we've had the boat out twice this year.  It just sits there on the lift, covered, with spiders making webs on it and my red tower and teak deck getting a flogging from the sun.  But - we have had some AMAZING water to foot on in practice.  Now that I think of it, the number is still 11 times, but only 4 of them were in a show, the rest were successful attempts at practice.  Invitationals was one of the shows, and I rocked it.  Another one was an endurance contest against one of our experts, and I beat him!  Free beer.

Our team is tiny this year, 26 total skiers.  We were Division 2 National Champs back in 2010, and that was the pinnacle/peak for many members who then moved on.  We've been in "rebuild" mode ever since.

Here we are at a show this year, this is me "footing" at 26mph.  Butt slides up and down the whole time, but I held on.  As soon as I heard the jumpers skis hit the water I bailed.

2017 Indian Lake one act show.jpg

11 times isn't much and each time is probably different.  Though I see you have the footing/drowning part down. :) One act is usually ran closer to 30-32 or a 150lb footer.  The one team has the jumper pick up the footer, so you don't get docked tournament points for dropping the footer.  I have footed behind a triple rig at 24 before. He thought he was doing me a favor and slowing down thru the rollers. I stayed on and held my breath for a very long time.

• Like 1

One Act Show is our team's favorite act, it just looks so cool.  I made it the first time I tried it in practice, and instantly I was the footer.  The jumper in the pic holds the female State of Michigan record for distance.  I'm skiing with about 65 years of experience around me in that act, they never fall.  Everytime, the show director says "Just ski on 1 ski, it'll look like you're footing" and I'm like "Unless you put me on ATB's, it's either 2 skis or no skis".  Eye rolls.

I actually got pinned in the last show before the jumper landed, the pinner thought I went down, but I was just low in 3 point.  I was like "Noooooo!!!"

Love this stuff...

Edit: just confirmed with my son that we are getting out tomorrow before work at 6:30am, and bringing the GoPro!

Edited by Michigan boarder
  • Like 1

I'm the only one on a pin, just because the jumper is on a shorter rope and they don't want the handle flying around.

A few years ago our footer would get picked up by the jumper too, forgot about that.  We also did footing pyramids, something I hope to be a part of.  Got a 21 year old kid with big feet on the team, he's getting pretty good at stuff, we need to learn him some footin'.

Off topic, but on pinning - I was in a trio act this year and they pinned the wrong one, and I and my partner (the 21 year old) went down and both got dragged for about 2 seconds but it seemed like forever.  Enough time so that I thought I was going to die - haven't felt like that in probably 20 years.  We've since had some serious pin training.

Well that was a mess last night, rollers everywhere, driver was rushed, I stepped off in the bubbles and immediately ate it.  Twisted my left leg back and out, that was the end of my night.  Also, no skiing this morning.

But - the GoPro is charged and ready to go, hopefully we'll get back at it again.

Ibuprofen is my friend.

7 hours ago, Michigan boarder said:

Well that was a mess last night, rollers everywhere, driver was rushed, I stepped off in the bubbles and immediately ate it.  Twisted my left leg back and out, that was the end of my night.  Also, no skiing this morning.

But - the GoPro is charged and ready to go, hopefully we'll get back at it again.

Ibuprofen is my friend.

Oh Man,  hey not to sound Sadistic like JB-FOOT  always says.... Any vido of the blow out.....

you know we're always looking for Great Entertainment. ..... :Tease3: