Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

POST YOUR BAREFOOT VIDEOS HERE

JB-FOOT

Some video from this morning's session with my 9 year old. He doesn't listen to me about riding in a 3-point or about clearing his spray, but he can do it.

Edited by martho
  • Like 3

Some video from this morning's session with my 9 year old. He doesn't listen to me about riding in a 3-point or about clearing his spray, but he can do it.

Awesome. I've only seen a,few that young do it

I hope to have the 6 year old on the boom by the end of the summer. He likes the swing but it is time to move past that.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Will be trying 30 footers on August 29th. :)

I am assuming you are talking Flyers....

Damn son, get out the Dramamine....for altitude sickness and oh what a landing....I have tried off of the top of my houseboat before but we never dialed in the driver and my self for the correct timing, made for laughs at the marina, but hey, sometimes the failures are more fun watching....hell, most times they are...hehehehe

• Like 1

I am assuming you are talking Flyers....

Damn son, get out the Dramamine....for altitude sickness and oh what a landing....I have tried off of the top of my houseboat before but we never dialed in the driver and my self for the correct timing, made for laughs at the marina, but hey, sometimes the failures are more fun watching....hell, most times they are...hehehehe

No, 30 barefooters behind one boat, stepping off. The chain of records was 24.

• Like 1

This is JB-FOOT in an excellent demonstration of a deepwater start. I really like the slow motion stand up, plus the two-finger stand up that shows how it is about balance, not strength. Note how he gently glides his feet while he lets them move back toward his thighs. You can see the spray change as he transfers his weight to his feet after they are close to his body.

Great work, Jack!

• Like 2

DocPhil made a very heroic attempt to barefoot despite the lack of a boom. He didn't want to start from a surfboard or any sissy way like that, he just headed straight to the final exam. He came surprisingly close, and if the water ingestion hadn't annoyed him (and maybe that surprise visit from a slightly pesky inguinal hernia), I have no doubt that he would be out on the water footing at this very moment. My hat is off to you, Doc, for that gallant try!

By the way, right after this he put his hernia away and then proceeded to surf the rest of the afternoon. Doctors really do make the worst patients.

^^^Thanks for the lesson Gary! I learned a lot and you made it easy.

When you weren't looking (probably during the foot rub), I yelled at the hernia and scared it back in my abdomen.

It's all good!

^^^Thanks for the lesson Gary! I learned a lot and you made it easy.

When you weren't looking (probably during the foot rub), I yelled at the hernia and scared it back in my abdomen.

It's all good!

I really hoped you would get up. Watch JB-FOOT (just above) for an excellent demonstration of the technique.

By the way, a boom would really help....

DocPhil made a very heroic attempt to barefoot despite the lack of a boom. He didn't want to start from a surfboard or any sissy way like that, he just headed straight to the final exam. He came surprisingly close, and if the water ingestion hadn't annoyed him (and maybe that surprise visit from a slightly pesky inguinal hernia), I have no doubt that he would be out on the water footing at this very moment. My hat is off to you, Doc, for that gallant try!

By the way, right after this he put his hernia away and then proceeded to surf the rest of the afternoon. Doctors really do make the worst patients.

If that was Doc's 1st attempt.....that was AWESOME

Some things I noticed.

GET RID OF THE SLALOM STRETCHY LINE,,,,,

Do not attempt it again on a ski rope, say that 3 times and repeat twice

use a NON stretch barefoot line or a non stretch wakeboard line

If you have never been on your feet footing, DO NOT ATTEMPT a Step Off....

Sit on a Surf Board and practice the 3 point glide with the surf board between your legs at about 20 to 25 mph

when you are comfortable and think you can stand up, signal to your boat driver to raise the speed to about 30 to 35 mph max and make sure you are comfortable at that max speed

Now, with your knees bent, and like you are sitting in a chair slowly bring your feet back while keeping them pigeon toed (beginners stance to keep the spray out of your face) and lean forward (back straight) and then slowly lift your pelvis upwards like a bad Jim Carey Movie....

and before you know it, your butt will lift off of the surfboard and will safely slide behind you and you will be footing,

Keep your arms STRAIGHT out, do not bring them in like you are eating corn on the cob, or like you have little dinosaur arms....leave them straight out....

DO NOT STEP OFF OF THE SKI, but if you do, get close up slow motion video of the CARNAGE that WILL happen and share it with us all....Footers love to watch face plants of other folks....we are a sadistic but loving bunch....

Or make a road trip to Pgh and learn to foot the easy way

• Like 2

This is JB-FOOT in an excellent demonstration of a deepwater start. I really like the slow motion stand up, plus the two-finger stand up that shows how it is about balance, not strength. Note how he gently glides his feet while he lets them move back toward his thighs. You can see the spray change as he transfers his weight to his feet after they are close to his body.

Great work, Jack!

Dont you just love how a 454 EFI just gets you up to 41 MPH in a couple of seconds, I Know I do....so little hull spray when you come up that quick

"Just Gary", you did a great job driving me that night, thanks for hanging with this OLD man....LOL

If that was Doc's 1st attempt.....that was AWESOME

Some things I noticed.

GET RID OF THE SLALOM STRETCHY LINE,,,,,

Do not attempt it again on a ski rope, say that 3 times and repeat twice

use a NON stretch barefoot line or a non stretch wakeboard line

If you have never been on your feet footing, DO NOT ATTEMPT a Step Off....

Sit on a Surf Board and practice the 3 point glide with the surf board between your legs at about 20 to 25 mph

when you are comfortable and think you can stand up, signal to your boat driver to raise the speed to about 30 to 35 mph max and make sure you are comfortable at that max speed

Now, with your knees bent, and like you are sitting in a chair slowly bring your feet back while keeping them pigeon toed (beginners stance to keep the spray out of your face) and lean forward (back straight) and then slowly lift your pelvis upwards like a bad Jim Carey Movie....

and before you know it, your butt will lift off of the surfboard and will safely slide behind you and you will be footing,

Keep your arms STRAIGHT out, do not bring them in like you are eating corn on the cob, or like you have little dinosaur arms....leave them straight out....

DO NOT STEP OFF OF THE SKI, but if you do, get close up slow motion video of the CARNAGE that WILL happen and share it with us all....Footers love to watch face plants of other folks....we are a sadistic but loving bunch....

Or make a road trip to Pgh and learn to foot the easy way

That was a high quality jacketed wakeboard line. I'm pretty sure the line wasn't the problem....

The surf board is by far the best way if you don't have a boom. I don't know if anyone makes a boom for the X-30, but it would be worth the investment. You can pretty much teach any watersport easier with a boom.

I just got this one online. This is my third run with JB-FOOT, and you can hear him reminding me of all of the solutions to the problems he spotted. It's true, I use my left foot for everything, and the right one just rides along waiting to trip me. Now I get to work on basics like posture and foot position instead of learning new tricks.

You're a great coach and tour guide, JB-FOOT, and we had a blast with you. Thanks again!

• Like 2

My fourth run. I can see in this one that I need to work on getting my feet out of the water when I'm gliding on my butt. The good guys make all of this skiing stuff look so simple, but it's really a technical tight rope act.

My fourth run. I can see in this one that I need to work on getting my feet out of the water when I'm gliding on my butt. The good guys make all of this skiing stuff look so simple, but it's really a technical tight rope act.

Don't beat yourself up too much Gary...you did great , and you started to improve with every run...

Remember to lean more fwd (meaning have your back more at a 90 Degree to the water) when standing up as it requires less strain and will really help you when you start long line deep ups....plus you can test the water for hardness better and not run the risk of going out the front by standing too soon, and either catapulting up or out the front.

plus work on moving both legs to turn, not just one

On this particular deep up, you pulled your arms in as if you are eating corn on the cob, leave them more outstretched with just a slight bend in the elbow

Practice the basics and take each step slow and as if it were a paint by number picture

PS, bet you liked my GLASS water.....

Edited by JB-FOOT

I'm gonna try a step off next despite your disapproval!!!!

If you must, I can help. :)

1. Get a good HD camera with zoom for the videographer.

2. Put our back foot LIGHTLY on the water shoulder width apart.

3. Slowly transfer your weight to non-ski foot until most of your weight is on it.

4. Slide your ski off the other foot by lifting the foot some and pointing the foot down.

5. Place foot on water and foot a way.

Now if you don't want to get hurt, make sure you are in a good low footing position to start all of this. At a minimum, the 3 90s.

Knees at 90 degrees, hip area at 90 and arms at 90.

It's ok to sit lower too. This way you might just go to your butt, which is safe. Just do a good 3 point and foot away. :)

Remember rule 1!

Have fun.

• Like 2