Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

G25 - sheared off prop shaft!

SurfgateBob

OK, yes 2315 is a newer prop. but the other 12pitch 14" and 14.5" props have ALWAYS been avail, and would have better suited for their heavy applications than the 1235. Check yourself. Lots of folks have no idea what they are talking about on props, untill I went thru them, trial and error, I didnt know either.

1235 is the like perfect prop for someone who wants to carry the heaviest weight possible and still achieve 40-42mph. If you wakesurf heavy, 22mph heavy, folks getting stuck in 23LSVs with 350s.... how many threads over the last 2 years along these lines?

NOW we see whats possible with the lower pitch 2315s and the others. Just like the 350 VLX vid this AM with 4000lbs???

And no, I didnt prop down my 247 because the $600 for the new prop never quite hit the threshold of priority... I was able to still throw a massive wave on the 1939. I can garauntee you now if I had a 247 with what I know now, it'd certainly have a 2315.

And your statement underlined above undermines YOUR credibility as a BS statement. What Ive always said is if you want the most torque, go 2315, if 37+ doesnt matter, but again nice shot Shawn.

so how did the 2079 perform on your boat Ryan?

can you please share the seat of the pants difference in performance between the 2079 and 2315?

Edited by shawndoggy

My new VLX came with the 2315 and it gets on plane pretty quickly. It feels great on the bottom end and at high speeds not bad. RPM's do get a little high. I really have not been at full throttle yet. Lets see what happens this weekend when I add the 550 PNP sacs.

And your statement underlined above undermines YOUR credibility as a BS statement. What Ive always said is if you want the most torque, go 2315, if 37+ doesnt matter, but again nice shot Shawn.

Ryan, see, here's the thing... from the statement above, you are the self professed expert on "the most torque." Are you telling us that you've tried every 15" prop available? the 2315 has more cup than the 2419, but still results in "the most torque"? Have you tried all of the corresponding 14.5" props? On every single hull? On any malibu hull? A diamond hulled vlx (even a slammed one) and a g23 are very very different animals.

The credibility thing is really a matter of semantics... I also agree that I appreciate what you share here. But you often come across as rather brash and rather than saying "here's what I've found in my experience, and here's why it might be helpful in your situation," you say "here's the answer.... for everyone period." (or at least that's how your posts frequently read to me).

I was not taking a personal shot at you Ryan, I'm trying to explain to you why your positions undermine your credibility. You found an answer that works for you, but that does not by any means mean that that's the answer to everyone else's problem.

For example, what impact of the prop torque of a big prop on a small hull (essentially favoring the wake on the goofy side)? My boat is much bigger and heavier than a vlx, and I've noticed since going to a 2315 that I need more counterweight on the regular side, especially for wakeboarding. That issue is going to be more and more noticeable the smaller the hull (at least I suspect it will). Among other reasons, that's why I suspect that a 2315 on a sv23 vlx would be a rotten idea. But maybe you can share some of your "big prop, small hull" experiences with us?

Edited by shawndoggy

My new VLX came with the 2315 and it gets on plane pretty quickly. It feels great on the bottom end and at high speeds not bad. RPM's do get a little high. I really have not been at full throttle yet. Lets see what happens this weekend when I add the 550 PNP sacs.

You sure it wasn't the 1235? Not the 2315?

Mine came with the 1235 "High Altitude Prop."

I

Nope...the high elevation prop is 2315...I looked at the numbers on the prop....I could be going crazy, but I think they call the 1235 prop "the everything prop"...not exactly for heavily weighted....

I believe it was one of those options my sales rep. likes to get. I wish he would chime in, but he stays away from the forums. It's a good thing because then I pretend like I know what I am talking about when communicating with him. That LSV with 2315 should do better on gas with long periods of surfing and wakeboarding. It should feel better on the throttle too.

Edited by Afun

What is the 2315 then? Wakeprops.com has the 2315 as high altitude also. My boat is at the dealer getting the dang trailer repaired. Once I get it back, I will look again.

Shawn-

My recs stand. If you want the most torque avail for heavy loads get the 2315(up to 450hp...550 it will cavitate.) or one of the other 12pitch 15", 14.5" or 14" dia props if hull clearance is an issue. Folks reccomending the 1235 for years as THE benchmark torque prop we all now know is false, the 1235 is a great prop on a range of props for a specific purpose. Def NOT the ultimate for somene really pushing the limits of what their boat can do carrying the heaviest weights. The 2315 IS.

2419 has been reported to cavitate on 450. So thats why no rec from me till more folks report in concsistently.

Shawn-

My recs stand. If you want the most torque avail for heavy loads get the 2315(up to 450hp...550 it will cavitate.) or one of the other 12pitch 15", 14.5" or 14" dia props if hull clearance is an issue. Folks reccomending the 1235 for years as THE benchmark torque prop we all now know is false, the 1235 is a great prop on a range of props for a specific purpose. Def NOT the ultimate for somene really pushing the limits of what their boat can do carrying the heaviest weights. The 2315 IS.

2419 has been reported to cavitate on 450. So thats why no rec from me till more folks report in concsistently.

See, again, Ryan, you are casting yourself as the definitive expert. That's what turns people off, I think.

But given your steadfast recommendations, perhaps you can address the following questions:

So which malibu hulls does this apply to?

The only downside of the bigger prop, regardless of hull is prop clearance?

What's the difference in holeshot between the 2315 and 2079?

Who on this board has reported to you about their results of use of the 2419 on a malibu?

Prop torque: myth or fact?

Edited by shawndoggy

That chart suggests 2315 has been the high altitude prop since 2007, which is not accurate afaik.

Right, when wakeprops puts it out, they don't necessarily match the malibu "high altitude" prop. For us, the dealer orders the high altitude and it came with the 1235. I replaced it with a 1941 since I do a lot of long runs to find good water on the Delta. Big difference in pitch between a 12 and 14.25 and 15.5. I also don't slam my boat. Just stock ballast plus the PnP and rarely have more than 6 onboard.

Prop selection is like wife selection, it really depends on your personal situation :-)

• Like 3

Now a mastercraft owner I will say this forum is definitely better than teamtalk In a lot of ways. Both the number of posts and the quality as well. There are a couple very good posts and posters there but most are superficial posts. Like.. What is the best surf wake.

I'm on both and have both brands (older girls though) and do enjoy this site more for it's openness, etc..

See, again, Ryan, you are casting yourself as the definitive expert. That's what turns people off, I think.

I think whats turning people off is you continuing this on the 2315 thing when daily new folks come on report how good it performs. Dont you feel the slightest bit silly?

Why am I so vocal? because so much bad prop BS was spewed for so long. folks trading boats for larger engines when it wasnt necessary. Exact differences in those props? I dont know, I'd bet very minor, why dont you do the work to demo, contribute and report back, instead of trolling and sniping what I contributed and IS working and just saying you dont like a harsh delivery?

On a seriously note, it would be a neat comparison to see the exact differences between the 15", 14.5", 14', 13.5" 12 pitch ,105 cup props.

I think whats turning people off is you continuing this on the 2315 thing when daily new folks come on report how good it performs. Dont you feel the slightest bit silly?

Why am I so vocal? because so much bad prop BS was spewed for so long. folks trading boats for larger engines when it wasnt necessary. Exact differences in those props? I dont know, I'd bet very minor, why dont you do the work to demo, contribute and report back, instead of trolling and sniping what I contributed and IS working and just saying you dont like a harsh delivery?

On a seriously note, it would be a neat comparison to see the exact differences between the 15", 14.5", 14', 13.5" 12 pitch ,105 cup props.

The difference is going to be approximate 1/2" in diameter. Just saved a BUNCH of time. Your welcome :biggrin:

Right, when wakeprops puts it out, they don't necessarily match the malibu "high altitude" prop. For us, the dealer orders the high altitude and it came with the 1235. I replaced it with a 1941 since I do a lot of long runs to find good water on the Delta. Big difference in pitch between a 12 and 14.25 and 15.5. I also don't slam my boat. Just stock ballast plus the PnP and rarely have more than 6 onboard.

Prop selection is like wife selection, it really depends on your personal situation :-)

I am now very curious to what I have. Two weeks ago I looked and I think it was 2315. I am now second guessing myself. I should have my boat by tomorrow. Edited by Afun

Well I've cited several posts from others who indicate there is a significant difference between similarly pitched props of different diameters.

Remember, I actually have the coveted magical 2315. It's not for everyone by any means. I'm dead certain I would not run it if I were at sea level... too much prop for how we use our boat. But I sure like it at the altitude I am at and the amount of weight we like to be able to run. I'm OK with the significantly reduced cruising speed and the increased fuel consumption that results.

I'm not casting myself as the "cure for the spewed BS" expert, nor am I trolling you Ryan. I'm just trying to show that your all-or-nothing positions are unreasonable (in the same way that your "I've got a 6.0, so I don't need to reprop" position was with your 247). It's like you want to ignore what you don't know anything about as information that doesn't apply to you, and by extension, anybody else.

All that said, here are somethings I think we could both agree on:

for high speed cruising a higher pitched prop of a smaller diameter is generally better***

as pitch steps down in a given diameter, holeshot will increase, and top speed will go down.

each prop decision is personal to your circumstances, and it's important to know, at the very least, what rpms you can hit at WOT weighted and unweighted.

as diameter steps up in a given pitch, top speed will go down (smaller props give more top end than big ones).

cup ... is a black hole for me. More cup seems to result in less holeshot and lower top end rpms. Less cup the opposite.

*** YMMV re altitude -- must have enough HP to push "taller" prop, and if you don't it won't necessarily be any faster (<-- personal experience going from 537 to 1433 on current boat).

Edited by shawndoggy

Bad prop BS for so long??? I have not seen it. In fact, there have been many prop tests performed by folks on this forum that supplied actual data with their write up's. The 1235 is still one of the best props for a 21-24 foot Malibu and the 14.5 inch 12 pitch has better hole shot than the 15 because it has less surface area. I agree with you that the 2315 is a good prop for a heavy boat with a lot of ballast and bigger motors, but like Shawn said, every boat is different and you have to consider all the factors. I tried all the 15 inch 4 blades from ACME. They are good, but there are other options out there. "Take it easy Francis!!"

Ryan are you sure there are 12" pitch props in all those sizes? Acme's site would dispute that though I have not checked ojs.

These are what wakeprops.com show when you sort for 12 pitch four blade 1 1/8" shaft left hand rotation props:

12pitchprops_zpsd095a6a6.jpg

Ryan are you sure there are 12" pitch props in all those sizes? Acme's site would dispute that though I have not checked ojs.

No, 12 pitch across the range of diameters is what i was geting at. Oj did say they could custom pitch their props. My point is on the props....1235 is only about 1/2 way on the scale towards max torque with heavy loads. Not saying its a bad prop, its not the best prop if you are trying to run heavy loads and push the limits of your boat. BY A LONG SHOT.

BS- I and most folks dont care about your 4 board racks, else everyone would have 4. Not even a concern of mine. You can chaulk that up as a con of the CC line.

No, 12 pitch across the range of diameters is what i was geting at. Oj did say they could custom pitch their props. My point is on the props....1235 is only about 1/2 way on the scale towards max torque with heavy loads. Not saying its a bad prop, its not the best prop if you are trying to run heavy loads and push the limits of your boat. BY A LONG SHOT.

BS- I and most folks dont care about your 4 board racks, else everyone would have 4. Not even a concern of mine. You can chaulk that up as a con of the CC line.

^^^^^ That is what I am talking about. Tell me what you know about *my* boat or -BS-'s or anybody else's? How many sv23 wakesetters have you pushed the limits of? How do you know what my limits are for my boat? Do you work for the NSA?

I think I need to go back in time and change the title of this thread to "place for dudes to argue about their brand of boat and prop choice" :rofl:

Isn't there a prop database on themalibucrew.com already? We could probably take a look at that, plus understanding the various weights of boats to arrive at a reasonable conclusion.