Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

G25 - sheared off prop shaft!

SurfgateBob

I learn so much from this forum. Thanks...I am even more terrified now!

I say stick with what works. So many Malibus on the water for a reason. Combination of price point, style, and value are the contributing factors for that. Correct Craft is awesome too! It just seems like they have gone extreme. Extreme is sometimes good...

Ryan -, that is not a Boatmate trailer as you can see from the hollow rectangular tubing used around the prop guard versus the solid plate steel that boat mate uses around the prop guard.

Help me understand this: You spent the past 3 years bashing malibu / your malibu boat / multiple dealers b/c you clearly had a bad experience...I get that. But you no longer own a Malibu but still come on this forum and talk about G3 towers that move 2 inches, etc...etc.. and take other little shots at Malibu Boats but you get all upset when we take a little shot at a Nautique.

So maybe we should agree to no longer talk trash about either boat or learn to take things with a grain of salt and not make personal attacks stating that we need to go and educate ourselves.

As you can tell by the number of posts, I am new to site. Do you have to be a Malibu owner to either be on the site or to make posts?

As you can tell by the number of posts, I am new to site. Do you have to be a Malibu owner to either be on the site or to make posts?

No you don't. But understanding a little bit of history never hurts!!!!!

Welcome to this site

No you don't. But understanding a little bit of history never hurts!!!!!

Welcome to this site

Thanks. I was asking as I read your previous post and response to ryan (I think). I am still nooldling thru how to navigate, post, etc.

Thanks. I was asking as I read your previous post and response to ryan (I think). I am still nooldling thru how to navigate, post, etc.

Lol....I still get confused on the multi quote and single quote buttons. Non big deal!!!

Glad you are hear!!!!

Pretty sure that's a Ramlin trailer, not a Boatmate.

Right - I'm pretty sure for the rep they just give them whatever trailer they have laying around.

happy, glad to have you.

The forum, to my knowledge has never forbidden ANYONE from participating on the basis of what boat someone has. Although, for the vast vast majority of years this site has been up, its been Malibu people exclusively with very few exceptions. Aside from some ribbing, many members have decided to go another direction and get another brand. jetskipro and shawndoggy come to mind, but the extent of their participation here with regard to their new boats was a picture, some explanation, and life went on. However, until now, I cannot ever recall a time where people of other brands incessantly post about the perceived shortcomings of Malibu or the superiority of their own brand. As expected, some of those people have seen some recent "pushback" from some people as you're seeing with regard to Murphy and Ryan. I think there are more than a few people here currently (I'm one of them) who are just getting a little over coming to "their" "Malibu" site and seeing so much content and advocacy being devoted to other brands. There's a lot of sites for that, a MALBU site just seems like a strange place. I think a lot of people might be getting fed up with it being brought here because you dont see people on this site posting videos of their new boats on planet nautique and you don't see people post a novel about why they bought a Malibu over a mastercraft on teamtalk. You would also not see Malibu owners recommending people look at Malibu's on either of those other sites.

I think the crew is far and away the best group and forum with regard to watersports and boats on the net, and the people, regardless of brand, who contribute, have made it that way. I think what you're seeing though pappy is just a little steam being blown off by murphy because there has been a drumbeat of other manufacturers' recently. Personally, I'm over it as well but TMC has always been pretty tolerant of other brands, that said, I've never seen so much bandwidth devoted to the others.

Pappy, have fun and post away.

toot toot!!!

You're kidding, right?

Not in this case, no. The trailer had sun faded winch straps and looked to have a lot of wear/tear on it. It also had absolutely no ease of use features like steps, etc. so I'm pretty sure that this is just a workhorse trailer. The trailers from CTW that are sold in this region are much much nicer with steps, nice rims, LED lights, casters, three axles, etc.

Happy, glad to have you.

The forum, to my knowledge, has never forbidden ANYONE from participating on the basis of what boat someone has. Although, for the vast vast majority of years this site has been up, its been Malibu people exclusively with very few exceptions. Aside from some ribbing, many members have decided to go another direction and get another brand. jetskipro and shawndoggy come to mind, but the extent of their participation here with regard to their new boats was a picture, some explanation, and life went on. However, until now, I cannot ever recall a time where people of other brands incessantly post about the perceived shortcomings of Malibu or the superiority of their own brand. As expected, some of those people have seen some recent "pushback" from some people as you're seeing with regard to Murphy and Ryan. I think there are more than a few people here currently (I'm one of them) who are just getting a little over coming to "their" "Malibu" site and seeing so much content and advocacy being devoted to other brands. There's a lot of sites for that, a MALBU site just seems like a strange place. I think a lot of people might be getting fed up with it being brought here because you dont see people on this site posting videos of their new boats on planet nautique and you don't see people post a novel about why they bought a Malibu over a mastercraft on teamtalk. You would also not see Malibu owners recommending people look at Malibu's on either of those other sites.

I think the crew is far and away the best group and forum with regard to watersports and boats on the net, and the people, regardless of brand, who contribute, have made it that way. I think what you're seeing though pappy is just a little steam being blown off by murphy because there has been a drumbeat of other manufacturers recently. TMC has always been pretty tolerant of other brands, that said, I've never seen so much bandwidth devoted to the others.

Pappy, have fun and post away.

I agree with Ochocinco Descalzo. The forum is the best. I am a better consumer, and boater. Hopefully soon....a better wakesurfer. Malibu Rocks! The other two big brands rock too, but just a little bit less...

• Like 2

Right - I'm pretty sure for the rep they just give them whatever trailer they have laying around.

Im surprised that the Rep does not have a blinged out triple axle trailer with LED's out the Wazooo....

I keep posting here because I like the folks here. I have spent the last couple years here and plan to spend more here, eventhough I now own a different brand. I like the people and the conversation so I stick around.

While i can understand the analogy of going into a yankee bar wearing a red sox shirt (go sox by the way), i think some people on here take it a little too personal when perceived shortcommmings of Malibu boats are brought up. Some people act like a bully. I get it, I was a Malibu fanboy at one time, but now I realize that there are other brands that make great boats as well.

Funny thing is, I don't tend to see this type of stuff near as much on MC and nautique board. Not sure why, just an observation....

My theory on why we see more of this lately is this: Other brands are offering more features and there are more new boat designs and innovations on the market so people are beginning to look around more and kick tires at different forums.

.... and sometimes it is just fun to poke the bear. LOL!

Edited by bamabonners
  • Like 2

The boat had to much weight in it period. If he just touched something in the water with all that stress on the shaft it's going to break something.

I had a wheel come off my trailer on the maiden trip. I made it about 30 miles before wheel come off my trailer while getting back on the freeway. When I called the trailer company and told them they said I had to check the lug nuts at 50 miles. I said that's fine but I didn't make it 50 miles. They shipped me a new rim and tire and paid for the repair. To this day the lugs on that wheel are different that the other 3. Not Malibu's fault at all.

Funny thing is, I don't tend to see this type of stuff near as much on MC and nautique board. Not sure why, just an observation....

It's definitely there on TT. One reason you see it more here is because there are more people with other brands here, once people are out of an MC they don't tend to hang out over there as much. I can only think of three or four guys off the top of my head that aren't in MCs and still post over there. Quite a few non-bu-ers over here.

The few people that I've seen act like you describe on here seem to be less willing to let it go. And the non bu owners here seem to be more willing to instigate. You bear pokers you. :Tease3: It all goes both ways.

Years ago, the boat companies upgraded the drive shaft from a 1" dia to 1 1/8" (a nearly 25% increase in surface area)....looks like 1 1/4" might be the next upgrade!!

Wonder if the shaft was made in China??

I saw one a few years back that sheared off and made a big nasty hole in the bottom of the boat.

Exactly my first thought, "where is the mark on the bottom of the hull?"

Having been around and owned boats for 30+ years...ya think you've heard and seen it all. BUt there is always a new "one" whether it be surfgate or spinning/shearing a shaft or the poor fella whose boat sunk! I did witness a spun shaft and loss of the prop on a cc years ago...the prop did not damage the boat...so it could have been worse....way worse. Also had a rudder fall out...not good!!

When all the boats that were mentioned use the same parts (GM engines, Morse controls, etc.), better and best is relative and often biased by hearsay, experience, etc. My opinion is as long as they float and go, they're all good!

anyway...sorry for going off topic.

Thanks and Looking forward to learning more about TMC

So why does Malibu have the highest share? Why did I as a newb drift to Malibu so strongly? Are you sure the other brands drive as good as a Malibu? I for one think the electronic throttle control is amazing on my Bu'. I do not have any experience with other brands. I do like the way some Mastercrafts, and Nautiques look. If you start looking like a open fisherman, I do not like.. Shawndoggys MB is also a sharp looking boat...your thoughts

They are pretty much ALL fiberglass bathtubs running standard props, shafts, rudders, tracking fins, etc., with GM powerplants (mastercraft / ilmor being the exception on the powerplant). Even the surfgate gizmos aren't MADE by malibu... they are lenco actuators with a lenco-sourced proprietary controller.

For the most part the difference between a camaro and a mustang is far greater than the difference between a moomba and a malibu (or a malibu and a mastercraft).

The three things each manufacturer have that are unique:

1. hull and resulting wake shape

2. fit / finish / gizmos

3. warranty

(with a 3.5 of the local dealer experience).

My under $55k new boat came with the exact same PCM drivetrain as a significantly more expensive nautique or tige or centurion. And a $75k bu comes with the exact same Indmar drivetrain as a moomba, supra, (now) MB, sanger (if you choose) etc etc.

All that said I love me some malibu, and if when I had the money burning a whole in my pocket (exactly two years ago) there had been a viable 23' bu candidate that met my needs (freeboard, great surf wake, good wakeboard wake) near my $50k line in the sand, even a used one, I would've given it a long long look. But back then even an 08 LSV was commanding high 50s (and likely still can in some markets).

When the kids are out of the house, if I'm still able to assemble a reliable old timer's crew, it wouldn't surprise me if a surfgate equipped vlx were in my future. Meh, then again maybe not. The current rig is more than I'll ever need, and there's college and weddings and retirement to pay for.

Edited by shawndoggy

I think Moomba Similiar to Malibu is a stretch...but I get it

exact same drivetrain. Well except for the word monsoon written all over everything.

fewer gizmos, not as nice fit and finish wise. Definitely weaksauce warranty.

Edited by shawndoggy

Can't speak for planet nautique, but MC actually owns team talk and they delete any posts or threads that are negative towards their products. if this was team talk you would have been banned already

i didn't realize that. Maybe that is why it is more, how should I word this.... quiet... over on TT.