Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

'13 VTX - Impressions - Questions

RTS

where'd you hear that? Just seen pictures of the 14s and they wren't there? Many nautique owners use the rings to lift the boat as that was correct craft's RECOMMENDATION for years. I use the eye. Don't see the fuss. Also great for people who dont have towers to use for front skylon cable.

Looking at all the pictures from the new Nautique brochures and reading it on PlanetNautique.

I will second the comments about the X14V. It does not compare to the VTX. I have spent some time on a buddies and I am not a fan of the layout at all. Some nice features, but not my cup of tea.

Looking at all the pictures from the new Nautique brochures and reading it on PlanetNautique.

I will second the comments about the X14V. It does not compare to the VTX. I have spent some time on a buddies and I am not a fan of the layout at all. Some nice features, but not my cup of tea.

it was always an option, was it not? same with bu...IF you can post where they won't offer a bow eye any more I'd like to see that. I may invest in the lift industry in Orlando if that's the case and all the nautique owners will have to convert

Mastercraft X14V...haven't really looked at what Nautique has to offer in this class. I really do not like the looks of the Mastercraft, but I have a great relationship with that dealer and service department...so that is weighing heavily on my decision right now. The Orlando Malibu dealership has changed hands (once again) to Tommy's. Not sure if that's good or bad, but probably better than it was a year ago. Just speculating there, though.

Sometimes, I am just not sure if I want to 'get into this' as far as cultivating a relationship with a dealer. That was one nice thing about my old boat...I had the 'bugs' worked out of it, and since it was out of warranty did all my own repair and maintenance...and what I couldn't do myself, I paid the Mastercraft dealer take care of.

Plus, I have a feeling the relationship with the dealer will have to be longer than 3 year warranty period, with all the bells and whistles on the later model boats (electronics, etc.) Doubt the Mastercraft dealer would even be able to help me out there in 5 years. The Mastercraft dealer has told me that they would take care of any Indmar warranty issues for me from the start if I buy the Malibu, so that makes me feel better. Again, I not trying to trash the Olando Malibu dealer, I just don't know them.

I find myself starting to nit pick the boat now....there is a bow lifting eye that simply must go. Why have a pop up bow light and then a huge, butt ugly lifting eye right behind it? Does anyone even lift their boats by the eye and transom hooks anymore? I imagine there will be gel coat repair to get that done.

And I still have to get the wife on board with this. It is earlier than we wanted to replace our old boat, and the prices are a little (OK, a lot) shocking to her.

I went through this a month ago. Pm me if you like to hear more on why I made my decision to go with masrerceaft this time around.

One major reason was the dealer. My Malibu dealer had changes hands as well. The mc dealer is fantastic. I have known them for several years. They kept telling me I would wind up in a mc one day. LOL

I went through this a month ago. Pm me if you like to hear more on why I made my decision to go with masrerceaft this time around.

One major reason was the dealer. My Malibu dealer had changes hands as well. The mc dealer is fantastic. I have known them for several years. They kept telling me I would wind up in a mc one day. LOL

background: liquid sports in Orlando was the mastercraft dealer for years and years and years...then there was a shakeup of ownership at nautique corporate and the Meloon family would no longer own the orlando dealership. so...the old nautique dealership starting to carry mastercraft. So, liquid sports became the malibu dealer and was for a few years. Then...this happened:

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2012-10-31/news/os-boat-dealer-sentenced-fatal-accident-20121031_1_boat-dealer-liquid-sports-marine-shelby-harper

Tommy's has now taken over liquid sports. Tommy's is a multi-state dealer and I know nothing about their reputations in their areas, but this isn't some fly by night new ownership group, nor is it really surprising in light of the accident.

I am familiar with most of what you said. One of the Meloons lives in my neighborhood...a son of Walter, if I am not mistaken.

I was not familiar with the whole story on Mark. I am sad that he is in that position. I dealt with him personally last year when I decided to try to sell my boat on consignment. We had some issues...worked them out in the end.

The guy at Tommys told me they are currently building a brand new facility in another part of town, a 'legit' place with lake access for testing, showroom, etc. Maybe Malibu will finally be represented in Orlando properly...we'll see.

Even when Central Florida Boating Center was the Orlando Malibu dealership (before Liquid Sports), they were not in the same ballpark as some of these dealers I see around the nation. I had many go arounds with them when I first bought my boat from them...getting things fixed, promises made and boken at time of sale, etc.

Lucky for me, they brought in a new service manager after I had the boat for a year or so, and I was afforded the oppotunity to forge a relationship with him and one of the techs, which I maintained for many years. Those two are at the Mastercraft dealership now....which is why I followed them there when my boat needed work I could not do. They are awesome people, and know their stuff.

Edited by RTS

A bow lifting eye? On the X14V or the VTX? Even Nautique started to get rid of that ugly thing for the 2014 210 and 230.

A bow lifting ring is very handy for this accessory: Super Fly High.

The x14v is either a love it or hate it boat. For similar length, I would go with x10. price increase over x2 would be but around 5k in my neck of the woods. Plus, you could have zero off standard, Murphy system, and reversible pumps.

Vtx dash is fugly and is not very user friendly. You have dig through menus to see the same info that the analog guages showed. Added killer is that none of it can be seen on the same screen. Very poor design. While on a test drive, ask the salesman to open and close the bimini. Watch his butt cheeks pucker because he knows it is a pain in the rear.

The vtx does have the option of surf gate, if you are into surfing.

Edited by bamabonners

The biggest reason I did not like the X14V was the layour of the rear. Trying to make it seem bigger by making the indented seats in to the sunpad. The access holes to the storage is tiny compared to my boat. I also do not like the storage on the 247, and the MXZ line.

Yep, the step down from the sunpad on the x14v is odd. Like I said, in the 21.5 foot range I would look at x10, but that isn't an apples to apples comparison the vtx because the vtx is only 20 feet.

The x14v is either a love it or hate it boat. For similar length, I would go with x10. price increase over x2 would be but around 5k in my neck of the woods. Plus, you could have zero off standard, Murphy system, and reversible pumps.

Vtx dash is fugly and is not very user friendly. You have dig through menus to see the same info that the analog guages showed. Added killer is that none of it can be seen on the same screen. Very poor design.

love it or hate it? Then who loves it?

x-10 has a terrible ski wake and requires conventional surf weighting....and yes, reversible pumps, the advantages of which are questionable at best. Can you explain what your dealership has told you about why a reversible pump (which WILL require impeller replacements, and is more expensive) is a superior design? I have yet to understand anyone's reasoning on its superiority...not to mention I have read that those reversible pumps require you to "Rev" up the endgine to 1500 to prevent damage...that's superior?

As to the gauges, the only thing that requires any "digging" is to get the hours, which, I have yet to understand why that's so important. Other than that, of course one screen shows all the other information: fuel, volts, depth, speed, etc etc.. Great that you bought a mastercraft and you're buddies with your dealer and you like your seat hinges, but c'mon bama, suggesting RTS look at an X-10?

Edited by 85 Barefoot

Yep, the step down from the sunpad on the x14v is odd. Like I said, in the 21.5 foot range I would look at x10, but that isn't an apples to apples comparison the vtx because the vtx is only 20 feet.

The wakes on that boat are so bad I doubt any of the mules out there are seeing much wear!

The wakes on that boat are so bad I doubt any of the mules out there are seeing much wear!

I have no idea what that means...

Just saying that if the OP is looking at a 21.5 foot mc might as well look at x10.

Some Malibu owners are so dang touchy. Geez people, its a dang boat.

Edited by bamabonners

I have no idea what that means...

Just saying that if the OP is looking at a 21.5 foot mc might as well look at x10.

Some Malibu owners are so dang touchy. Geez people, its a dang boat.

Was in reference to the step on the x-14v's goofy steps on the engine!

Touchy? bama, you, not me, started praising what he could get by converting to mastercraft and invited RTS to PM you about you about why you "went Mastercraft". You're on a MALIBU forum bashing its hardware, making incorrect statements about malivue, and tout the "superiority" of components on Mastercraft without any explanation. You're honestly surprised that someone would refute what you're saying when you are recommending RTS look at a 21' wakeboard boat from mastercraft when he is currently looking at a 20 foot crossover on a diamond? I don't have to "defend" anything, but recommending RTS look at an x-10 given what he is looking for is silly...and clearly being motivated by the fact you're now a mastercraft convert and you have been convinced its superior. Great. Doesn't mean it makes sense to recommend a boat that's not even comparable to the one RTS is looking at.

Edited by 85 Barefoot

x-10 has a terrible ski wake and requires conventional surf weighting....and yes, reversible pumps, the advantages of which are questionable at best. Can you explain what your dealership has told you about why a reversible pump (which WILL require impeller replacements, and is more expensive) is a superior design? I have yet to understand anyone's reasoning on its superiority...not to mention I have read that those reversible pumps require you to "Rev" up the endgine to 1500 to prevent damage...that's superior?

As to the gauges, the only thing that requires any "digging" is to get the hours, which, I have yet to understand why that's so important. Other than that, of course one screen shows all the other information: fuel, volts, depth, speed, etc etc.. Great that you bought a mastercraft and you're buddies with your dealer and you like your seat hinges, but c'mon bama, suggesting RTS look at an X-10?

The reversible pump thing is the classic sales pitch where they say it's better, but in real world application it's not. If you don't know any better it sure sounds better to only need one pump..... it's just like the sales pitch where a one piece deck is better than a 2 piece, they can sell you it's better, but there is no evidence that either is superior over the other. I've heard both of these from our MC dealer here...........

Maybe it is personal preference, but fact is, the same information is not available with once glance across the dash...

From another thread on the VTX dash and verified by both me and my Malibu dealer:

We got our 2013 VTX this spring, what a great tow boat - terrible dash. I thought I would get used to it after a while but I still think it was just a huge money saver for Malibu. It gets worse after you drive it for a while. During break-in it is nice to see the speed and RPM at a glance - there are no screens where you can see both. After break-in, to check the prop pitch or just driving around, it would be great if you could see speed and RPM without constantly hitting the dash switches. When pulling it off the trailer, I wanted to see the depth and engine temp - no, can't do that either without hitting a switch on the dash to change screens. If they took away the speedo and tach with the depth, air temp, lake temp, oil, volts and hours which showed without having to touch anything, they at least need to replace it with a virtual screen that has the same info. They do have a analog gages screen, but it is worthless. It is common knowledge that when you take functionality away and replace it with a virtual screen, you must at least have one choice that replaces what was taken away. I think Malibu did not want to spend the money to configure another screen, as this was designed prior to the removal of the gages. I have talked to the dealer and Malibu, so far my request has fallen on deaf ears. I do admit that when wakeboarding, surfing or skiing, the virtual dash with the computer doing everything for you, is great. I agree, the pod sticking up on the driver dash with the glovebox on the other side looks strange and the old configuration with the gages is much more elegant.

Was in reference to the step on the x-14v's goofy steps on the engine!

Touchy? bama, you, not me, started praising what he could get by converting to mastercraft and invited RTS to PM you about you about why you "went Mastercraft". You're on a MALIBU forum bashing its hardware, making incorrect statements about malivue, and tout the "superiority" of components on Mastercraft without any explanation. You're honestly surprised that someone would refute what you're saying when you are recommending RTS look at a 21' wakeboard boat from mastercraft when he is currently looking at a 20 foot crossover on a diamond?

I am not being touchy and I am not "bashing". I am speaking from first hand experience. yes, I do feel that MC is better than Malibu in several key areas that matter to ME, therefore I chose to spend my money with them. i am giving my opinion as to why I feel it is better in those areas to another person that is comparing the two.

I know all the sales pitches by both brands and how to refute each of them. I didn't fall for the "pitch". I made my checklist based on problems and concerns with my two previous Malibu boats then compared them. I decided that the MC was better overall. Yes, I am on this forum giving my opinion because I paid to support this forum, same as you....

I can have a debate about the boats all day long and not get upset - no big deal. It is just a freaking boat - lighten up man!!

Maybe it is personal preference, but fact is, the same information is not available with once glance across the dash...

From another thread on the VTX dash and verified by both me and my Malibu dealer:

We got our 2013 VTX this spring, what a great tow boat - terrible dash. I thought I would get used to it after a while but I still think it was just a huge money saver for Malibu. It gets worse after you drive it for a while. During break-in it is nice to see the speed and RPM at a glance - there are no screens where you can see both. After break-in, to check the prop pitch or just driving around, it would be great if you could see speed and RPM without constantly hitting the dash switches. When pulling it off the trailer, I wanted to see the depth and engine temp - no, can't do that either without hitting a switch on the dash to change screens. If they took away the speedo and tach with the depth, air temp, lake temp, oil, volts and hours which showed without having to touch anything, they at least need to replace it with a virtual screen that has the same info. They do have a analog gages screen, but it is worthless. It is common knowledge that when you take functionality away and replace it with a virtual screen, you must at least have one choice that replaces what was taken away. I think Malibu did not want to spend the money to configure another screen, as this was designed prior to the removal of the gages. I have talked to the dealer and Malibu, so far my request has fallen on deaf ears. I do admit that when wakeboarding, surfing or skiing, the virtual dash with the computer doing everything for you, is great. I agree, the pod sticking up on the driver dash with the glovebox on the other side looks strange and the old configuration with the gages is much more elegant.

99.99% positive that when you're on the cruise page you have speed (or rpm), depth, and all engine functions other than hours. To convert from RPM to speed it take one buttom push. Woopty do.

Vtx dash is fugly and is not very user friendly. You have dig through menus to see the same info that the analog guages showed. Added killer is that none of it can be seen on the same screen. Very poor design. While on a test drive, ask the salesman to open and close the bimini. Watch his butt cheeks pucker because he knows it is a pain in the rear.

The vtx does have the option of surf gate, if you are into surfing.

I am not being touchy and I am not "bashing". I am speaking from first hand experience. yes, I do feel that MC is better than Malibu in several key areas that matter to ME, therefore I chose to spend my money with them. i am giving my opinion as to why I feel it is better in those areas to another person that is comparing the two.

I know all the sales pitches by both brands and how to refute each of them. I didn't fall for the "pitch". I made my checklist based on problems and concerns with my two previous Malibu boats then compared them. I decided that the MC was better overall. Yes, I am on this forum giving my opinion because I paid to support this forum, same as you....

I can have a debate about the boats all day long and not get upset - no big deal. It is just a freaking boat - lighten up man!!

The underlined text was not bashing?

I never said you shouldn't or didn't have the right to use the forum, I asked how it would surprise you that someone would not "refute" what you're saying...big difference. Either way, I'm a former nautique owner. If I bought a new bu, why would I go to planet nautique and say anything about nautique is fugly or not user friendly? Personally, I would not do that. But even if I chose to, why would I be surprised that someone at planet nautique would dispute that? Funniest is that you go into other threads ON HERE (in reference to me) and say people are "touchy" about posting about other brands. That's not it at all (even though I personally don't get it). You knocked Malibu and made a recommendation for a boat (of your "new" brand) that is not even comparable to the boat RTS is looking for. I don't care how great you think your new ride is. But when you suggest an X-10 and your justifications are its the same size as a 214V, and post misinformation about malivue, you're going to get a response...my guess is from some others too...it doesn't mean they're touchy because someone would question your recommendations.

Edited by 85 Barefoot

That was efficient. Have to agree hard to beat a VTX for a true slalom crossover. Oh I should have had the / sarcasm tag on that last post.

The underlined text was not bashing?

I never said you shouldn't or didn't have the right to use the forum, I asked how it would surprise you that someone would not "refute" what you're saying...big difference. Either way, I'm a former nautique owner. If I bought a new bu, why would I go to planet nautique and say anything about nautique is fugly or not user friendly? Personally, I would not do that. But even if I chose to, why would I be surprised that someone at planet nautique would dispute that? Funniest is that you go into other threads ON HERE (in reference to me) and say people are "touchy" about posting about other brands. That's not it at all (even though I personally don't get it). You knocked Malibu and made a recommendation for a boat (of your "new" brand) that is not even comparable to the boat RTS is looking for. I don't care how great you think your new ride is. But when you suggest an X-10 and your justifications are its the same size as a 214V, and post misinformation about malivue, you're going to get a response...my guess is from some others too...it doesn't mean they're touchy because someone would question your recommendations.

In case you haven't noticed, this is the general dicussion area. I apologize for not reading the memo that says that everyone on this forum should pump Malibu sunshine all the time. I consider this forum to be a collection of boating friends - a virtual watering hole of sorts. I am not on here to recruit or bash. I am simply discussing boats.

I have no problem with your rebuttal to my opinion at all. I can talk boats all day long - and not just about Malibu.

Edited by bamabonners

In case you haven't noticed, this is the general dicussion area. I apologize for not reading the memo that says that everyone on this forum should pump Malibu sunshine all the time. I consider this forum to be a collection of boating friends - a virtual watering hole of sorts. I am not on here to recruit or bash. I am simply discussing boats.

I have no problem with your rebuttal to my opinion at all. I can talk boats all day long - and not just about Malibu.

And in case you haven't noticed, the "general discussion" area is actually labelled:

"Malibu Boats - General Discussion Area

Talk with others about how much you love your 'Bu here."
Let the underlined words sink in a moment...but for the record I dno't care if you post or not, I'm just surprised that you're surprised someone would call you out on suggesting an X-10. I don't care how much you like your reversible pumps or how how "fugly" you think anything is on a Malibu or what are "poor designs" on the Malibu or the laundry list of things you have posted previously justifying to yourself why you now bought a Mastercraft. However, I would point out that you both recruited and bashed in this thread....hardly the benevolent "discusison" you apparently think the thread is.
So by definition a "reasonable" person here should just let misinformation abound? Anyone who would point out an X-10 is nothing remotely close to a VTX is "touchy"? When you re-read, you'll actually see that's all that's been said about your posts.
But I like talking about boats too...how about responding to my question a page ago as to why reversible pumps are superior.
Edited by 85 Barefoot