Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

'13 VTX - Impressions - Questions

RTS

So I got around to taking a look at the '13 VTX I've been checking out on line.

I like the boat. Like the room. layout, storage. Like the way it looks. Colors, for the most part, I liked.

I was actually surprised to see more access to engine than I imagined. Dash, electronics, etc. are sure cool, but a little worrisome.

Disclaimer - If you are the salesperson I spoke with today, and happen to come across this thread, please do not take any of the following as distrust or insulting. You were a gentleman, seemed like a nice enough fellow, and I appreciate you spending the time you did with me. Enough said there.

Though it is not listed on the website, the PnP setup is there, and in fact so are the bags. Easy to pull the bags until I need them in the future? Would rather have the storage space right now.

Option sheet for the boat I was given shows "GPS Speed Control/Navigation Chart Plotting"...salesperson said no GPS. How do I confirm? There was a paddlewheel under the hull. Salesman said it was optional (expensively optional, at that)

Prop was a 537. Website says high altitude prop, I asked about that because I don't need a high altitude prop. I called ACME and they said 537 was about middle of the road between stock (381?) and the 1235? Is that 537 going to mess up the skiability of the boat? Was told I could have any prop I wanted from the start. Suggestions there. Keep in mind I would like to ski from time to time. Monsoon engine.

No decals on boat. I kind of like it. But I kind of like the decals on the VTX in the brochure. (page 13)

Water cooled shaft seal...any known issues with those? I kind of liked my old school wax rope packing, but need to move into the future one day, I suppose. Just like things that I can work on....not much of that on the boat I saw today.

Keyless start, but I saw a key near the fuses. What's that all about?

Might be time to schedule a demo. Just gotta get the wife on board, literally and figuratively. She's at 40/60 now.

post-58-0-35143200-1374866915_thumb.jpg

post-58-0-67803300-1374866925_thumb.jpg

Edited by RTS

Congrats RTS, So much excitement. I love it when someones checking out the VTX.

The only thing you mentioned I can help you with is the prop. The 537 is a good all around prop. I ran one for ~400 hours and it was fine. I moved to the 1939 and I highly recommend it. It has a bit more grunt at lower ends and still gives me the same top speed of 42 MPH (LCR). I highly recommend you get this, if you ever choose to change in the future I'm sure you'd sooner go down to the 1235 before back up to the 537. Also check out the 1941, same as 1939 but 0.5" bigger. If your that serious ask them to put your chosen prop on for the test ride.

The other recommendation is when you test ride I highly recommend you fill the bow ballast for skiing. Bring everyone else in the boat as far forward as possible, in the bow if necessary and adjust the ballast accordingly. Skiing at 15' off is fine, 22' off tends to give me more of a rooster, and it gets better from there although I always ride 15 off.

Also I like the colours a lot although I think I prefer decals too.

GoodLuck!!! Any questions let me know.

So I got around to taking a look at the '13 VTX I've been checking out on line.

I like the boat. Like the room. layout, storage. Like the way it looks. Colors, for the most part, I liked.

I was actually surprised to see more access to engine than I imagined. Dash, electronics, etc. are sure cool, but a little worrisome.

Keyless start, but I saw a key near the fuses. What's that all about?

I have the '12 VTX and have been really happy with ours. Similar comments about space and layout.

The key by the fuses is there in case the MTC fails for some reason. Before 2012MY, people were making a manual box to start the engine should the MTC fail. Really nice feature I hope to never have to use.

I don't know about the 537 being a high altitude prop either, I don't think I agree with that. We had the 537 delivered stock with our VTX and we are more or less at sea level. I swapped it out with an OJ 475, which I believe is pretty comparable to the Acme 1235. Skiing will be fine with the 537, the 475 gave us more hole-shot for wakeboarding with full ballast and wedge, with very minimal impact on top speed.

I was topping out last week in our VTX about 46 MPH, 2-3 people 1/2 tank gas at ~ 2440' elev. with the OJ 475. Can't recall RPM.

Edit - water cooled shaft seal was an option (probably the cheapest one!) checked at the advice of Bakes.

Edited by MalibuTime

The 537 is not the high altitude prop. My guess is prop has been swapped. I had 537. For what you want to do, 537 is perfect.

All boats are dripless shaft seals now.

Yes you do have keyed backup.

It is my understanding that the GPS option is the factory provided GPS speed control as zero off no longer available for any malibus other than txi because of the move to mefi 6. However, there remains a substantial amount of unclarity on this issue, unfortunately. I'd suggest calling Medallion.

Again, RTS, if you wnat to hear all about the wakes, handling, features of just shoot the bull, give me a call.

Man I really don't like that dash and steering wheel on the 13' VTX. Rumor is that will be on the new LSV....

Yeah I know was such a move in the wrong direction giving better sightlines and views up front :Tease3:

Yeah I know was such a move in the wrong direction giving better sightlines and views up front :Tease3:

Great it's ugly, I must be really tall, because I have never noticed a lack of site lines on any BU I've driven...

I'm having them swap out the steering wheel when I order. That's at least a step in the right direction

Edited by CJAY

The 537 is not the high altitude prop. My guess is prop has been swapped. I had 537. For what you want to do, 537 is perfect.

All boats are dripless shaft seals now.

Yes you do have keyed backup.

It is my understanding that the GPS option is the factory provided GPS speed control as zero off no longer available for any malibus other than txi because of the move to mefi 6. However, there remains a substantial amount of unclarity on this issue, unfortunately. I'd suggest calling Medallion.

Again, RTS, if you wnat to hear all about the wakes, handling, features of just shoot the bull, give me a call.

Hey...I was going to give you a call after I schedule the demo...just to pick your brain about what to look for.

Regarding the GPS....the factory sheet says it is there, salesperson says it is not. I did not see any pucks on the dash, but did see a paddle wheel. Is there somewhee on the display I can look to see if the GPS function is installed and working? I am hearing about the pucks for the factory GPS being under the dash. I did not think to look for it there...

And not to get into the middle of you two about the dash and steering wheel...but I sure do like the steering wheel that is one the boat versus that single blade one I have seen on others. I asked the guy about the dash, as I like the one with the two analog guages on either side. He said I could probably order one...haha. I'm looking for an end of the model year deal, so ordering is out of the question. I kind of have to take what someone has on the lot.

'85...I'll buy your gas and lunch if your come shake this thing out for me before I sign any papers... :)

Edited by RTS

And not to get into the middle of you two about the dash and steering wheel...but I sure do like the steering wheel that is on the boat versus that single blade on I have seen on others. I asked the guy about the dash, as I like the one with the two analog guages on either side. He said I could probably order one...haha. I'm looking for an end of the model year deal, so ordering is out of the question. I kind of have to take what someone has on the lot.

See I really like the single blade one, especially when driving. It's just out of the way and I think it looks clean. The dash is ugly and I know I can't order my LSV without it, so I'm stuck too. Not a deal breaker, but it's the top thing I don't like about the new LSV. You will love the VTX though. I'd keep mine if I didn't have growing kids and a need to run my boat slammed. Thing has had zero issues and runs like a dream. Wake is the best all around wake I've seen when you factor in how well it works for skiing.

You cannot order a dash in the VTX with the gauges to my knowledge, its a new helm altogether...I seriously doubt that...in any event, if the VTX saw more improvemnets for skiers which it did with the center pylon, the new dash helps sightlines in the course. Was it "bad" before, no, but now more open vision.

As I understand it, the factory GPS puck is unde rthe dash but I CANNOT personally confirm this.

Call any time.

My 2012 lsv also said GPS on factory sheet, but it didn't have it. If it did, it would have a puck for gps nav. Zero off is not available, if I remember.

GPS speed control is a must for me.

Does anyone know if there is a way to easily tell if the Malibu GPS speed control is installed? Without having the boat on the lake. Puck hidden somewhere? Some symbol on one of the Malivue screens thats shows GPS installed and active?

I was under the impression that Malibu stopped using the 537 in favor of the 1939, as the 1939 is a better prop (same top speed, better pulling power). For the VTX, if you want an all around prop, the 1939 is a good match (or 1941 from what I've read).

GPS speed control is fine but Malibu charges a fortune. Paddle wheel + Nautic Laugic GPS conversion and you get the same thing for a lot less money.

GPS speed control is a must for me.

Does anyone know if there is a way to easily tell if the Malibu GPS speed control is installed? Without having the boat on the lake. Puck hidden somewhere? Some symbol on one of the Malivue screens thats shows GPS installed and active?

I don't know, but have definitely read that on the cruise screen in malivue it will say "GPS" on the top/bottom/side, I don't know but I've read it somewhere, hopefully others will confirm.

I'l also throw your attention again to the 1939 prop (or 1941), over the 537.

I don't know, but have definitely read that on the cruise screen in malivue it will say "GPS" on the top/bottom/side, I don't know but I've read it somewhere, hopefully others will confirm.

I'l also throw your attention again to the 1939 prop (or 1941), over the 537.

why? RTS is a cruiser and kid puller and has already said he doesn't want any weight over factory...Why, in that use, would anyone recommend a more aggressive prop than a 537?

Mastercraft X14V...haven't really looked at what Nautique has to offer in this class. I really do not like the looks of the Mastercraft, but I have a great relationship with that dealer and service department...so that is weighing heavily on my decision right now. The Orlando Malibu dealership has changed hands (once again) to Tommy's. Not sure if that's good or bad, but probably better than it was a year ago. Just speculating there, though.

Sometimes, I am just not sure if I want to 'get into this' as far as cultivating a relationship with a dealer. That was one nice thing about my old boat...I had the 'bugs' worked out of it, and since it was out of warranty did all my own repair and maintenance...and what I couldn't do myself, I paid the Mastercraft dealer take care of.

Plus, I have a feeling the relationship with the dealer will have to be longer than 3 year warranty period, with all the bells and whistles on the later model boats (electronics, etc.) Doubt the Mastercraft dealer would even be able to help me out there in 5 years. The Mastercraft dealer has told me that they would take care of any Indmar warranty issues for me from the start if I buy the Malibu, so that makes me feel better. Again, I not trying to trash the Olando Malibu dealer, I just don't know them.

I find myself starting to nit pick the boat now....there is a bow lifting eye that simply must go. Why have a pop up bow light and then a huge, butt ugly lifting eye right behind it? Does anyone even lift their boats by the eye and transom hooks anymore? I imagine there will be gel coat repair to get that done.

And I still have to get the wife on board with this. It is earlier than we wanted to replace our old boat, and the prices are a little (OK, a lot) shocking to her.

• Like 1

A bow lifting eye? On the X14V or the VTX? Even Nautique started to get rid of that ugly thing for the 2014 210 and 230.

On the VTX...a huge one. It is horrible. First world problems, right? But it is driving me crazy thinking I am going to have to factor that into the negotiations...getting it removed and the hole repair worked into the deal. Reminds me of a Rolls Royce hood ornament, for some reason.

Edited by RTS

If you're seriously considering an x-14 v at ALL, go for a test drive and drive the VTX. There is no comparison...none whatsoever. My neighbor 2 doors down had an x-14V and I found it to be hot garbage. Slalom wake was terrible (watch teh videos on mastercraft's site, tehy won't even show someone crossing the wake!) and there is no way that thing will surf on factory ballast, couldnt' but barely pull a barefooter and was a DOG behind the wheel...I don't even know if it has any ballast in the rear does it? X-14v should be the FIRST boat off that list IMO...if you want to ski, I'd look at the sport, but you'll never surf that boat with factory weight and NSS not available on it either. Although I'm a homer, there is no boat made that is a better crossover than the VTX IMO.

As to the lifting eye, I order all my boats with them. I use them to attach mooring whips on my dock and keeps you from having to tie off to the rails or front. Since you're in Orlando, a lor of lakefront property owners there so I'm guessing that's why they ordered it as such.

A bow lifting eye? On the X14V or the VTX? Even Nautique started to get rid of that ugly thing for the 2014 210 and 230.

where'd you hear that? Just seen pictures of the 14s and they wren't there? Many nautique owners use the rings to lift the boat as that was correct craft's RECOMMENDATION for years. I use the eye. Don't see the fuss. Also great for people who dont have towers to use for front skylon cable.

As to the lifting eye, I order all my boats with them. I use them to attach mooring whips on my dock and keeps you from having to tie off to the rails or front. Since you're in Orlando, a lor of lakefront property owners there so I'm guessing that's why they ordered it as such.

I have visions of a boat that heavy being supported by the eye and transom hooks cracking in the middle one night...like a piece of Kit Kat bar.

And I'm not really considering the X14V, or any Mastercrat, really...they just don't appeal to me, looks wise. I just spend a lot of time at the MC dealer prowling around. They are close to me, and I like them there.

Edited by RTS

Had you been cruising around on Butler 15 years ago you'd have seen many, if not most, of the boats (90% correct craft) were lifted from the lifting eyes. That was a lot less hard the boat than the straps that people used which squueezed it.