Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2013 23lsv rear pnp tanks not draining

euroman

So you're saying you have a "bag line" going straight to the drain pump? I've not seen such a PNP design but your symptom makes perfect sense if that's the case. Air vacuum preventspump from draining tank and its draining bag first due to gravity. How big are your lines? As an experiment, I'd cap the line going to the pump from the bag and the connector on the pump and then pump will pump tank first and gravity will feed from bag to tank for draining. If taht "works" but just not acceptably fast, I'd look into a valve that you can open until bag is dry, shut the valve, then pump will solely pump tank...make sense?

That is how I believe mine to be plumbed also.

Interesting. I've not seen that "version" but your symptom makes sense. Personally, I'd rely on gravity draining or add a valve to shut off the "air" supply to the drain pump being introduced via the connection to the bag.

That does make sense. I will still take some pics to show how it is plumbed. Should be interesting to see what the dealer says on Friday. Thanks again for all of your help!

Mine is plumbed exactly the same and to me if we are having to add extra check and shut off valves and they have since fixed it that to me is a design issue and should be fixed by Malibu. However, they seem to think it works, but any of us with this version have the same issue. I could understand if it was plumbed by me, but this if factory and should be a service bulletin to fix it properly for all of us.

Can't wait to see or hear what they do to yours as not about to bring it in again unless Malibu will step up.

Did you get a response from the dealer? I rerouted the hoses and my bags and tank are draining and filling fine without the rear hose connected. I am thinking that if I get a "T" fitting and plumb it in after the pump that should fix the obvious design flaw from the "Factory" on the earlier systems. I am going to get the fitting on Monday and then give it a try. The current drain in the rear setup is completely and utterly useless.

Hey guys,

Dealer was super helpful in sorting this out. We took apart a newer 2013 to see how it is plumbed. They are now contacting Malibu about getting mine plumbed the same. In the meantime they put a valve between the rear drain and the line. I either keep it closed or just close it myself once the bag is empty. I believe this is what barefoot had recommended and it works fine for now, especially until they can get what is needed from Malibu.

Toobloo, wouldnt plumbing the rear drain after the pump lead to water draining out of the drain on the side of the boat causing the bag to drain without you knowing?

Thanks for everyones help again, this forum is the best!

I thought about that after and wondered if I plumbed it in there if it would then just drain the bag due to the pressure of being filled. What does the valve look like that they plumbed in? Was it from Malibu or aftermarket? If so, I will do the same thing.

Its a big old valve, not sure who makes it! I'm at the lake so I'll take a picture soon. Its not perfect yet since there needs to be more line. With the way it is now, the bag sits kind of funny. That will be more obvious in the picture. I'm seriously considering talking to someone like wakemakers and installing some reversible pumps in our offseason.

• 4 weeks later...

Its a big old valve, not sure who makes it! I'm at the lake so I'll take a picture soon. Its not perfect yet since there needs to be more line. With the way it is now, the bag sits kind of funny. That will be more obvious in the picture. I'm seriously considering talking to someone like wakemakers and installing some reversible pumps in our offseason.

Any updates on this euroman? I think I have this same set up from the factory. My VLX came with two check valves, but they weren't installed. I added them to the top fill lines before going into the bag. My boat didn't come with the "Y" adapter for the fill line, but it does have the anti-siphon loops.

The tanks are not draining and I am not sure if I installed the loose check valves on the right spot. Has anyone had any luck with Malibu or their dealer in getting the pnp updated?

I ended up making some adjustments myself with the help of the good people at wakemakers. Put a fly high distribution valve on the intake side so i can fill the tank alone or the bag as well. On the drain side I added an aerator drain pump to the bag so the bag and tank ech have their own drain pump. It is spliced into the electrical of the original drain so it works off the MTC, they just both turn on whether there is water in both or not. Thats okay since they are aerator pumps. The drains are wyed into the single drain through the hull. So far it has worked like a charm, and i can drain and fill much better than stock.

As for the dealer, mine is a 7hr roundtrip journey so it was easier just to buy some parts and make the improvement myself. I personally dont believe its malibu's duty to provide this anyway, since their system worked albeit not very well. I did choose to buy the boat. I'd rather improve it myself and enjoy it rather than fighting it out at the dealer, but thats just me.

If you'd like, i can take some pics of what i've done after i get home.

The description of your setup makes perfect sense. I would like to see pics if you possible. Do you remember how much extra hose you bought from wakemakers?

Here is what I ordered:

Fly High 1" Distribution Flow Manifold 32006 2 $239.98 Fly High 1" Flow Rite Quick Release Connect W743 33043 4 $27.96 Flow Rite 1" / 1-1/8" Barbed Elbow Quick Release Connector W746 33046 4 $27.96 Ballast Hose - Black Size 1-1/8" 31001 16 $31.84 Attwood Tsunami 1200 GPH Ballast Pump (Short 1" Intake) 22009 2 $89.98 Attwood 1-1/8 Hose Barb Straight Fitting 32019 2 $9.98 16 Gauge Splice Tap Connector 34006 4 $0.60 16 Gauge 2 Conductor Marine Pump Wire 34019 12 $5.88 16 Gauge Crimp Butt Connector 34005 4 $0.40 Stainless Steel Hose Clamp Size 1" & 1-1/8" 31003 20 $19.80 Hose Barb Wye Fitting Size 1-1/8"

I got 2 of the wye fittings for the drain side of things (1 for either side). I've added the picture for the new drain setup here:

http://s1314.photobucket.com/user/myihns/library/?sort=3&page=1

For the intake side, I took the hose that went from the antisiphon loop to the top of the bag, and put that to the intake of the fly high distribution valve. From the valve I made one line go to the tank, and one to the bag. I mounted the valve on the inside of the carpeted cover that covers the inside of the locker facing the rear seat (Does that make sense?). Now all that shows is the little dial. It was easier to find a spot for it on the starboard side vs the port side since there is I beleive some emissions control stuff on the port side behind that panel. I still managed to make it work, but it took some fiddling. As mentioned, the drain works much, much better, and being able to control where the water goes on the intake side is great too. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info. I sent my dealer an email addressing the problem and he contacted Malibu. Malibu is going to send them the updated system and I am going to have the work done when I take it in for winterization. Luckily I am only an hour from the dealer. I still like the idea of having a seperate drain pump for the bag and might work on that over the winter.

I would like to see what they install for you. WIll it include a selector on the intake side, so you can by pass the bag if you so desire?

It will have a Wye fitting and a shut off valve on the line to the bag. But the bag could still fill from the drain line on the rear of the bag.

• 4 months later...

Hi there, I just picked up on this as I just fitted two 550 Flyhigh bags to the rear of my boat - MXZ 22 '13 but i suspect a '12 build as I took delivery in Feb 2013 in South Africa. My bags fill ok but draining the same issue with bags draining 80-90% and tanks trickle draining. Mine had the PnP (really no plug or play) that only had the drain pipe at the back. We spoke with Malibu and they gave the local dealer in JHB telephonic instructions (think some stuff went missing in translation). Not thaat easy foe me to get all the parts you guys mentiona and shipping increases cost by about 200%. Can you maybe send me a diagram of how you guys plumbed the set up pre additional pumps. At the moment I think we have, one hose for drain (to back drain) one for filling (with ball valve to shut shutt off) and one in front of bag T pieced into overflow. Help be appreciated

• 2 weeks later...

If you mean before I added additional drain pumps, then all we did was put a shut off valve between the pnp bag and the drain before it t-ed into the drain line. When the bag finished draining I would need to close that valve to allow the tank to drain. Does that make sense?