Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Looking for a 2nd boat, good ski and OK wakeboad

leugie

I would look at 2 boats.

Mastercraft 205. I use to have one of these boats and is the best all purpose boat you can find. 1995 or 96 is the year you want.

Ski Nautique 2001. I would look for a 1987 to 1989. These boat have wood stringers. But are excellent boats.

Weren't the late 90s particularly bad for MC with chine-lock issues?

I have a buddy with a '94 PS190. Outstanding slalom wake on that one.

Another bud has a '91 Nautique. Real nice wake on that one everywhere but 22' off. Pretty big rooster there, but it's soft and you slice through pretty effortlessly.

1999 Response LX or newer could possibly be found in that range too. Starting in '99 you get the same deck treatment as the current RLX, which includes the trunk.

yes and I want to say in 2000 was the year with the uber-funky rudder that caused some issues?

agreed on response.

I dunno on the SN recs. mid-late 90s SN's weren't much in the wakeboard department.

I'd look for an open bow echelon. little lighter than the sunsetter but you still get a walkthrough and "wake" hull....I think there might be a year or 2 where echelon LXs were step over but there weren't many. I'm talking about the walk-through, want to say 1997 and prior.

yes and I want to say in 2000 was the year with the uber-funky rudder that caused some issues?

agreed on response.

I dunno on the SN recs. mid-late 90s SN's weren't much in the wakeboard department.

I'd look for an open bow echelon. little lighter than the sunsetter but you still get a walkthrough and "wake" hull....I think there might be a year or 2 where echelon LXs were step over but there weren't many. I'm talking about the walk-through, want to say 1997 and prior.

Disagree, We had a Ski Nautique and with some rubbermaid bins (I'd estimate the equivalent of 2 550's) it threw a mean wake for boarding. I'd put it in the same category as the VTX (Of course this was a while back when I didn't know much), Very very wake with tons of vertical pop!

Those Nautiques had quite a bit of freeboard too. Never ridden one loaded for boarding, but I know it was the most sought-after trick wake in its day. Wouldn't think it would be too difficult to make one decent for wakeboarding with a tower or fly hi.

We went from a '91 ski nautique to a VTX. The '91 No Wake Zone hull was very versatile. Quality boarding wake with a couple sacs, we could even surf a little bit. Correct Craft was wood stringers until 1992.

Gull Lake has an older Echelon if those work:

http://www.gulllakemarine.com/pre_owned_detail.asp?sid=01272394X7K22K2013J2I25I26JPMQ2901R0&veh=3277092

We went from a '91 ski nautique to a VTX. The '91 No Wake Zone hull was very versatile. Quality boarding wake with a couple sacs, we could even surf a little bit. Correct Craft was wood stringers until 1992.

Gull Lake has an older Echelon if those work:

http://www.gulllakemarine.com/pre_owned_detail.asp?sid=01272394X7K22K2013J2I25I26JPMQ2901R0&veh=3277092

correct craft was STILL wood stringers in 1992....

they switched to Composite stringers in 1993...but still had wood in the boats coaming panels and other places until 1995 when they went to all composites...