Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surf Gate - My experience - not impressed.

JustinOSU

IXFE you are mistaken, we did adjust the factory settings, we where driving 11 to 11.5, we verified the surf gate was deployed and we felt it deploy at around 7mph. We had all stock ballast full and 1000+lbs of human weight. We only had to drain the opposite corner to get a good clean wake along with myself sitting all the way to the point of the bow when I wasn't driving, and we did adjust the wedge and found it best around 70% down. So you are completely wrong in your assumption.

I have been weighting boats for 19 years starting with a 89 mastercraft tristar then a 91 malibu eufo f3, 99 Malibu wakesetter, 2000 Malibu 23 LSV and now for the past 8 years a 2004 vlx and no one has ever complained about my wakeboard or surf wake.

Sorry if I misread your OP... sounded like you jumped in the boat, dialed up a factory preset, and went surfing expecting perfection. When you didn't get it you came and lit a fire on BuCew.

I still think it was user error. How can you look at the dozens of SG videos I've posted and think otherwise. With the proper recipe this s*** works.

My take based on your last post is thay 1000 lbs. of human ballast is not enough. You need PnP bags, and ideally human ballast ontop of that (with weight in the bow too).

I wish I was baller enough to have a surfgate boat..........REALLY IXFE? REALLY?

I fully went into last year believing it was something I desperatly wanted. UNTILL I TRIED IT. I knew the VTX would sell and was dead set on a 23LSV with surfgate.

I demo'd more than once, in several differnt configurations. I also took several of my local friends just so I had some objective opinions. We have been surfng behind boats probably before you even owned and inboard. I rapidily came to the conclusion that it really just didnt give me what I/we are used to.

Sacrificing the whole boat to achieve the type of waves we are used to wieghting one side, coupled with the cost difference,(initial investmet + 2x ballast) it just didnt make sense for me. Like I said earlier. There is always a trade off. And as Malibudog said, it's for some and not others.

I got nothing against surfgate, as it was said, "It's just another tool" And it probably fits for 90% potential buyers. I myself dont just go out and buy tools that I have no use for.

If I was buying a boat shearly for resale as in your case IXFE, Yes, Surfgate is a must. As I stated previously, it has been very well marketed and fits for large portion of the sector, IE: your used market. I don't buy boats for resale. I buy what I think will work best for me. There is nothing wrong with sharing my thoughts in a thread that the original OP stated his similar opinion.

Baller on a budget.......

I didn't mean it that way, Bobby. If I had your wave I wouldn't feel a need for SG either.

Yes, I resell stuff alot (cars, boats, technology, etc.), so resale os always a consideration. I think it's wise to consider resale on all big ticket items, regardless of how long you plan to keep them (plans change).

I'm no baller... just a middle aged dad who likes water sports. Based on your post, I'm sure I'm not as picky as you on surf wave. Again, back to expectations.

I'm not saying SG is the end all, be all surf wave. I just get tired of the same song and dance.

I considered resale, for sure. But it never comes in at #1 ,or #3 priority for that matter. For me a boat is recreation, down time, vacation as sorts.What type of return do you get on that? I think I will be ok even without surfgate once it comes time to sell again.

We cool. No worries.

I considered resale, for sure. But it never comes in at #1 ,or #3 priority for that matter. For me a boat is recreation, down time, vacation as sorts.What type of return do you get on that? I think I will be ok even without surfgate once it comes time to sell again.

We cool. No worries.

Maybe if I could get a pull behind your 247 I'd change my mind entirely about SG... it's possible. ;->

Maybe if I could get a pull behind your 247 I'd change my mind entirely about SG... it's possible. ;->

Until you rode behind a 247 with SG...lol Sg makes a bigger harder wake when set up correctly

Until you rode behind a 247 with SG...lol Sg makes a bigger harder wake when set up correctly

So we will be seeing a SG boat towing in the competitions then?

Stupid comment. If Malibu sponsors a wakesurf event, YES, If not no!

• Like 3

Stupid comment. If Malibu sponsors a wakesurf event, YES, If not no!

Funny. Malibu knows what they have. Either it's a competition wave.... or it's not.

Edited by Ruffdog

Do you understand the difference between a question and comment?

Touche, but in the context of a forum, inside a thread, it is defined as a comment regardless of it being a question, comment, command,word, or :)

Funny. Malibu knows what they have. Either it's a competition wave.... or it's not.

You can look at it with a different lens from their point of view. Just looking at this board, there are a lot of people upgrading their 1 or 2yr old boat just because of the SG. Why would Malibu spend $ sponsoring a wakesurf event when their SG boats already selling like hot cakes?

• Like 1

You can look at it with a different lens from their point of view. Just looking at this board, there are a lot of people upgrading their 1 or 2yr old boat just because of the SG. Why would Malibu spend $ sponsoring a wakesurf event when their SG boats already selling like hot cakes?

I see your point here. SG is easy and it will sell for that reason alone.

My question was for IXFE because he was making it sound like a competition level wave. Just wondering if that's what he thinks?

So, like 6 posts ago, when 85 Barefoot (a guy who is a very experienced boater) just said AGAIN that "the stock wave is great"....... You missed that as well? Gotcha.

On the cost upgrade: Yeah, your upgrade didn't cost anywhere near 25k because you were upgrading from the previous year's model bud! This may be shocking to you, but that's not most people's scenario. "My results may vary"? Yeah, duh. That's the point.

To be honest, I think this whole thing is absolutely hilarious for the following reason: Reliable, knowledgeable, well-experienced boaters on this forum (most of which are present in this discussion and most of which are SG owners) are saying everything from...

"the stock wave is great" to

"you may be able to surf with stock" to

"surfing stock is illogical" to

"550's in the lockers is all you need" to

"I run 1100s in each locker" to

"The ballast required takes up my entire boat" to

"I prefer my SG boat slammed"......

yet you cannot understand why a non-surfgate owner would have doubts, concerns, questions and/or reservations about it? Too funny.

And let me remind you: I've said repeatedly I would love to have the ability to not list my boat and change sides quickly. I think SG is great for that... I'm just tryin to sort out the rest.

And that's the point that I've alluded to. When it's all said and done a properly ballasted SG boat has two advantages. Not listed and the ability to switch sides. Out the door goes all the other advertised/ discussed advantages.

• Like 2

If pulling comps (traditionally weighted or SG weighted) is the yardstick, Malibu is in way last place to centurion and tige.

And that's the point that I've alluded to. When it's all said and done a properly ballasted SG boat has two advantages. Not listed and the ability to switch sides. Out the door goes all the other advertised/ discussed advantages.

Although... for those of us whose spouses would never in a million years consider being at the helm of a slammed and listed boat, I can see the appeal.... even weighting might be a huge practical gamechanger if you won't list your boat to the rubrail and beyond.

So, like 6 posts ago, when 85 Barefoot (a guy who is a very experienced boater) just said AGAIN that "the stock wave is great"....... You missed that as well? Gotcha.

To be honest, I think this whole thing is absolutely hilarious for the following reason: Reliable, knowledgeable, well-experienced boaters on this forum (most of which are present in this discussion and most of which are SG owners) are saying everything from...

"the stock wave is great" to

"you may be able to surf with stock" to

"surfing stock is illogical" to

"550's in the lockers is all you need" to

"I run 1100s in each locker" to

"The ballast required takes up my entire boat" to

"I prefer my SG boat slammed"......

yet you cannot understand why a non-surfgate owner would have doubts, concerns, questions and/or reservations about it? Too funny.

And let me remind you: I've said repeatedly I would love to have the ability to not list my boat and change sides quickly. I think SG is great for that... I'm just tryin to sort out the rest.

I'm not really sure why you have chosen me as your target today, or why I keep letting you suck me in, but here goes again...

I don't speak for 85 barefoot and I can't remember what he said at anytime in this or any other thread. I guess I just don't log it all in my brain the way you seem to. If he says stock wave is great, then I'd have to disagree. Then again I've never tried it that way and never will. Why would I when I know it's better with PnP... doesn't everybody?

On the $25k. Yes it will cost an older vride owner more than a '12 Wakesetter owner to upgrade to a SG boat. But that is not a fair comparison because the MAJORITY of that sucharge is not related to SG. It is just related to other costs around having a newer, nicer, more upgraded boat. For example, if you upgraded to a '12 VLX (an otherwise equal boat) what would that cost you? $20k or so, right? So going to a '13 VLX w/ SG might indeed be $25k but you would have spent $20k to get an equivalent non-SG boat. Still think SG costs $25k? Is all the other goodness of having a newer boat worth nothing?

And to answer your question... no, I really don't understand why a non-SG owner would be confused by contradictory statements made by completley unrelated people on teh interweb. Go to the F150 forum and ask who makes the best lift... see how many answers you get from knowledgable, experienced truck owners.

And besides... Are those statements really the sole basis of your research? Do actual videos not mean anything? What about good old fashioned demos (with proper setup)? That's what maddens me... it's like the same 5 people keep coming in here knocking SG for the same tired reasons despite mounds of evidence to the contrary. I read them and just shake my head. I believe this is the first thread where I've bothered to chime in.

The ironic part of all this is that one day you too will own a SG boat (either Malibu's or somebody's copy cat innovation). In 5 years all new boats will have some flavor of surf apparatus designed to redirect water. In 10 years the used market will likewise be flooded with them

Honestly, no hard feelings, BS. You're a local guy and I'd actually like to have you out with us on the Willamette to get your take in person while actually riding. I mean that...

I see your point here. SG is easy and it will sell for that reason alone.

My question was for IXFE because he was making it sound like a competition level wave. Just wondering if that's what he thinks?

Pretty sure I never said or even alluded to a competition level wake. I don't see that behind my own boat, nor do I expect it or need it. I simply wanted to point out end user error by the OP.

Ruffdog: I have no doubt that a Malibu 247 with or without surf gate can put out a competition level wave. The WakeSurf Nationals are being pulled by a Nautique with NSS this year. Not sure I am understanding your point.

Bingo! Well said. These are the only two reasons I upgraded. If you expect more you'll be disappointed.

Define a competition wave? Honestly the RZ2 puts out a "competition wave", as it has pulled many of them, and a slammed SG LSV puts out a much much better wave than the RZ2. The sport is super young and odds are the ability to change sides mid ride will change how the sport is done.