Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surf Gate - My experience - not impressed.

JustinOSU

Interesting thread here... Lets not piss all over the place everyone. I have yet to ride behind David's SG.. and believe me I want to. Here's my observations and thoughts based on what I've seen.

- Goofy side looks nicer on this video. (haha I'm goofy!@#)

- Regular side looks like he's having to work. Doesnt look like the push is there.

-4K weight? this seems like its off the charts.

Seems to me that its kudo's to Bu for stepping up and making innovations. As a stereo guy, I talk to a wide range of people in Bu's...Some are diehard guys. Some are family guys. Some are wives with the purse strings attached. I think surf gate is probably a home run for people with not lots of surf experience. press a button and go! Let me put it in perspective. Last week I was on a Moomba that was sacked out and had a nice wave. We passed a MC X30 (supposed to be the surf boat in the lineup), and they had Nothin but wash. They just didnt have any real world experience.Do not over look the experience factor on this stuff guys. I think surfgate will help people a lot. And I also think it will help mfg's keep an eye on the target and better these boats. It's a marketing kudo's to be able to try to jump sides too. Not that I can surf heel side at all. haha! But I like the idea.

Is it going to out perform a guy like Brandon that has experience and the money / means to sack it out properly? No way. Thats a totally difference venue. Forget the pretty pics he posted up. I've been on that boat and the wave is massively LONG>But jesus, sit up in the bow while its underway and you goat zoom your camera cause it feels like its 50ft back. It's a 247 guys. Guys like Brandon are serious about messing with it until the find the sweetspot. I think in the end, we have to answer like this... Is your sweet spot pushing a button? Or is it custom bags doing it the old fashioned way. For many that sweet spot could go either way.

Most important thing about this video wasnt even the surf action. it's at the end where the guy said this strereo is legit. Now thats a FACT JACK! :)

-Brian

• Like 1

Geez, you gotta wonder why most surf gate boat owners are defensive. At what point did I compare surf gate wave to others? I'm just stating that people have to see surf gate as a convenience feature. I said it before and I'll say it again, the wave is nothing spectacular and honestly if we're comparing waves, the supreme v226 which cost $25k cheaper has much better wave.

Geez, you gotta wonder why most surf gate boat owners are defensive.

Not really... They just paid a premium for the latest and greatest. Same reason G owners get defensive, etc.

The goofy wave on IXFEs boat (my side too!) looks great and I'd give it a shot any day. Is it an Enzo "comp" wave? Nope. But lets see the wakeboard and ski wakes from an Enzo. As a do-it-all easy to set up /easy to drive compromise for a family guy weekend warrior (a position I can totally identify with) it looks pretty sweet.

Lets redirect things a little and gather some input about what could have been set up a little differently with the goal of achieving a firmer wave for IXFE. Afterwords we talked of raising the wedge and increasing speed even more than11.6. What other things can be tried?

I've got to get to icing my back.... Can you believe my back is trying to tell me that I have surfed to much these last 3 weeks? :lol:

Not really... They just paid a premium for the latest and greatest. Same reason G owners get defensive, etc.

The goofy wave on IXFEs boat (my side too!) looks great and I'd give it a shot any day. Is it an Enzo "comp" wave? Nope. But lets see the wakeboard and ski wakes from an Enzo. As a do-it-all easy to set up /easy to drive compromise for a family guy weekend warrior (a position I can totally identify with) it looks pretty sweet.

Question for anyone who's surfed a Centurion: Is the Enzo wave that much better of a than a Malibu VLX or 247?

When I check out the competition style videos, the Enzo waves definitely look great, but not appreciably that much better than some Malibu waves that I've seen. I've never ridden a Centurion, so I was just curious if it was that much greater of a surfing experience. If you saw a video, (without knowing what boat it came from), could you spot it as an "Enzo" wave?

-just curious-

Lets redirect things a little and gather some input about what could have been set up a little differently with the goal of achieving a firmer wave for IXFE. Afterwords we talked of raising the wedge and increasing speed even more than11.6. What other things can be tried?

I've got to get to icing my back.... Can you believe my back is trying to tell me that I have surfed to much these last 3 weeks? :lol:

How much bow weight did you have vs tansom weight? I noticed that our wave was best at about 11.6 wedge 2 clicks up. So transom wake will make the wave taller, but more mushy, while bow weight will increase the hardness and pocket, but decrease the height. Typically when you see super tall waves they tend to have less push.

I believe it was factory front and a 450. Two 750s in the rear and factory. And not a good idea to add more weight in front IMHO, need to take it out of the back.

Edited by Ruffdog

I believe it was factory front and a 450. Two 750s in the rear and factory. And not a good idea to add more weight in front IMHO, need to take it out of the back.

We typically run pretty close to 1000lbs in the bow, and rarely take water over it. I've run as much as 1200 in the bow of my VTX. So you're running a 60/40 split which isn't bad at all. What were you guys wanting out of the wave you didn't get?

Wait didn't you guys have a 450 on the back floor? If so you would need more bow weight

Edited by CJAY

There was a 450 back floor. But there was also a 450 in the isle pushed up to the barrier.

So 450 bow, 450 rear floor, 450 isle 750 rears stock ballast 11.6. Wedge full down.

IXFE liked it the way it was but he's a smaller guy than me on a fast board. I needed more firmness. The wave was super clean and shaped well, just needed to be firmer with more push further back.

Yeah I'd say get that 450 in the isle further into the bow if you're going to run that heavy. you might find less is more, take the both of the floor 450s out, bring the wedge up 2 clicks and you will probably get more push out of it.

This thread is a joke...to sum it up, anyone who has surfgate loves it, people who do not have it do not like it.

I have had both, my 2011 without it, and my 2013 with it.... no comparison, hands down surfgate produces a better wake how I have the boat weighted. I would never purchase a boat again without it. There are more positives than just being able to switch riders immediately... boat drives better, people sit comfortably, wake transfers while ridining... and still under debate, better for your engine because the boat is not listed to one side.

Surfgate works great, and videos dont lie.

• Like 2

I blew mine out doing squats Monday & it is still killing me! Looks like all I get to do is drive this weekend, lame.

This thread is a joke...to sum it up, anyone who has surfgate loves it, people who do not have it do not like it.

I have had both, my 2011 without it, and my 2013 with it.... no comparison, hands down surfgate produces a better wake how I have the boat weighted. I would never purchase a boat again without it. There are more positives than just being able to switch riders immediately... boat drives better, people sit comfortably, wake transfers while ridining... and still under debate, better for your engine because the boat is not listed to one side.

Surfgate works great, and videos dont lie.

How do you weight your boat fman?

Interesting thread here... Lets not piss all over the place everyone. I have yet to ride behind David's SG.. and believe me I want to. Here's my observations and thoughts based on what I've seen.

- Goofy side looks nicer on this video. (haha I'm goofy!@#)

- Regular side looks like he's having to work. Doesnt look like the push is there.

-4K weight? this seems like its off the charts.

Seems to me that its kudo's to Bu for stepping up and making innovations. As a stereo guy, I talk to a wide range of people in Bu's...Some are diehard guys. Some are family guys. Some are wives with the purse strings attached. I think surf gate is probably a home run for people with not lots of surf experience. press a button and go! Let me put it in perspective. Last week I was on a Moomba that was sacked out and had a nice wave. We passed a MC X30 (supposed to be the surf boat in the lineup), and they had Nothin but wash. They just didnt have any real world experience.Do not over look the experience factor on this stuff guys. I think surfgate will help people a lot. And I also think it will help mfg's keep an eye on the target and better these boats. It's a marketing kudo's to be able to try to jump sides too. Not that I can surf heel side at all. haha! But I like the idea.

Is it going to out perform a guy like Brandon that has experience and the money / means to sack it out properly? No way. Thats a totally difference venue. Forget the pretty pics he posted up. I've been on that boat and the wave is massively LONG>But jesus, sit up in the bow while its underway and you goat zoom your camera cause it feels like its 50ft back. It's a 247 guys. Guys like Brandon are serious about messing with it until the find the sweetspot. I think in the end, we have to answer like this... Is your sweet spot pushing a button? Or is it custom bags doing it the old fashioned way. For many that sweet spot could go either way.

Most important thing about this video wasnt even the surf action. it's at the end where the guy said this strereo is legit. Now thats a FACT JACK! :)

-Brian

Right on! Brian, wanted to thank you for donating the best bumpers in the world at WTW Oregon! Thank you and Boat Candy Speed Gloss.

No doubt Brandon's boat is a work of art and I would love to catch a ride on that monster wave sometime. I was checking it out at WTW and just loving the whole package (huge interior, blacked out graphics, sweet custom Exiles.)

Not sure why everyone can't agree that there are pros and cons all around? You really just need to test drive it and see if its for you. I don't think anyone will disagree that these types of devices are here to stay, the good news is if you don't like it you can go back to the old way just as easy.

Surf Gate= Family friendly, easy button.

Listing= Best wave possible, more effort to dial... SV244 & V226 for example.

It is not to say though that a mackin' SG wave is not possible, as seen with both IXFE's & RayRay's SG VLX.

Bottom line, I think it is quiet simple. "Different strokes, different folks."

Edited by MCObray

We are having great success with surf gate on our VLX recently. I've found that full stock ballast, maybe 500 lbs pnp in each rear locker, wedge up a few clicks up from bottom, and 10.4 mph is producing an amazing wave when we have 5 or 6 people in the boat with 1 or 2 people sitting in the bow. With the 2315 prop, the engine is running at 3050 rpms. I've been surprised just how much one or two clicks of wedge can affect the wave push.