Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New to Malibu and need a little advice on a Sunsetter LXi

brad72

Took the boat out for the test drive on the river today and it ran beautifully. Motor was nice and smooth, WOT gave us about 46mph @4,500 rpm, everything worked, no HDS leak and just a few drips every 10 seconds from the prop shaft gland. Temp remained at about 165º for the entire drive and the boat tracked nicely.

The only thing I noticed was the oil pressure needle jumping between 40 and 80 when cruising at 30mph so I can only assume this is an electrical problem but will get the mechanic to check it out. I read this is a regular problem for that vintage.

I also felt a slight vibration when driving but I think it was more me noticing everything than a problem as my wife felt nothing. Probablty just the the vibration from the motor and water slapping on the hull. Haven't driven a DD for many, many years so probably not used to it. The prop does have some very tiny nicks taken out of it so a balance wouldn't hurt if I buy it anyway.

The only other thing was the starboard side hose going from the thermostat housing to exhaust riser was colder than the port so the owner is going to get his mechanic to pull it off and check it is all ok. The manifolds felt the same temp and I could touch them with my hand, just the hose temps were different. Whi;st at teh mechanics it's getting another compression check to see if the low cylinder came up after a good run and then we will probably pull the trigger.

After getting home from the test I though why didn't I do more turns and figure 8's but I think the width of the river made me feel like just cruising and was a bit worried about throwing the kids out of the bow doing tight hard turns. The few turns I did do certainly demonstrated how these boats turn like they are on rails.

Edited by brad72

If the boat has a stainless steel prop by CVP, switching to an acme or OJ prop made of Nibral? (Bronze) will be noticeably smoother. Also there are a few threads where the OEM prop by CVP shed blades. Overall, the SSLXI has been a great boat for us.

• Like 2

So stuck on what to do.

Had the motor compression retested today and #6 cylinder is still @ 165 with the rest at 195-200. Well within the high-low 30% specification from Indmar being 17.5% below the highest.

Given how well it drove and sounded it should be sweet but my analytical engineers brain is putting doubts in my more logical, "this is a 11 year old boat so won't be perfect" brain

Curses to over thinking things

Bit the bullet and am now the proud owner (well my wife owns it) of a new Sunsetter. Spent a few hours out on the lake this afternoon after picking her up and was lots of fun. Nice that everything works and especially great seeing the excitement in the kids eyes.

Another nice surprise tonight after dark when checking the nav lights was the beautiful red illuminated gauges and lights under the side panels shining on the seats and floor.

Thanks for all the tips and advice you have all given. Certainly made the purchase a lot less stressful

The only thing I am going to do is purchase the Amce 525 prop and keep the 4 blade stainless as a spare. It has a few chips in it anyway so repairing it is nearly 1/2 the cost of an Acme.

n4tg.jpg

Edited by brad72

You'll be super happy with your decision to get the Acme 525. It's a great prop for that boat.

Sweet

The boat has an OJ 402 13x13 4 blade stainless currently and gets me to about 48mph so I assume the acme 525 will keep the WOT rpm's the same but with a reduction in top end speed.

Edited by brad72

Sweet

The boat has an OJ 402 13x13 4 blade stainless currently and gets me to about 48mph so I assume the acme 525 will keep the WOT rpm's the same but with a reduction in top end speed.

Yes, and the out of the hole pull is going to be delicious!

• 4 weeks later...

Took the boat for it's first run since fitting the acme 525 and must say I am impressed. We had 3 adults and 5 kids in the boat and had no trouble launching out of the hole plus the vibrations are gone

Here is a picture of the crew. There was lots of screaming and smiles from all the girls. My youngest 6, in the picture without her jacket on was a little speed demon and always wanted to go faster when out behind the boat. My other daughter in the orange hat was a little more cautious but had the time of her life.

Happy Days

j163.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks guys. The is no better feeling than seeing your kids and there friends smile and laugh. We're out again this weekend but they are going to learn to ski and kneeboard this time so everyones very excited. Also found a nice girly wakeboard so that might need to be my daughters Christmas present.

Edited by brad72
  • 1 year later...

To Boot Lube Applier - saw your post in this thread about loose throttle. You said you were able to tighten a clamp to fix. My dealer says the throttle boxes come sealed from the factory and therefore tension can't be adjusted, and the only fix is to replace the throttle box. I have a 99 SSLXI. Can you give more details about how you fixed this and where the clamp is located precisely? Many thanks

I don't know which "Boot Lube Applier" you're referring to, but I added a very small hose clamp to my throttle cable to eliminate the throttle springing back. I put the clamp about 2 ft away from the engine linkage side and very s-l-o-w-l-y and c-a-r-e-f-u-l-l-y tightened the clamp which adds a bit of tension between the inner sheath and the cable. NOT that I recommend you do this, but it worked for me...