Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need your OPINIONS about GAS COSTS!

Marc1983

You sound like you're a spoiled brat that is taking advantage of your dad. If you use it fill it if you can't afford to fill it don't use it. Better yet buy your own boat. Why should your dad pay for your adult friends?

"Priorities" you need to fix them.

Harsh but I'll take it. I didn't post in a public forum to not get some heat.

I will stress a few other points. This year has been worse than most. The first year we had the boat we paid for ALL our own gas. The second year we still paid most and it's dwindled since. We don't never pitch for gas, even this year we've filled 1 of the 5 tanks (of which half was probably us). The first tank was a freebie for winterizing, exhaust install and surfgate. Since than it's been further and farther in between. The other half of the gas is not used by my father either, maybe 5%. Dad owns the cottage and boat and has 20 ppl up at the cottage every weekend. Between me and my uncle we take all the kids (and some adults) skiing, wakeboarding, surfing etc. And when everyone leaves early or comes late is when my friends and I go at it. The whole other 45% of usage my father covers as well. Whether he has touched the boat or not. The family is free to use it and there kids get enjoyment out of it so my father is happy and certainly doesn't receive any gas or gas money from them. To him, the more people at the cottage the better, it certainly isn't a relaxing cottage, every weekend is filled with a big crowd and lots of stories.

Sure this doesn't excuse me from filling up. I've certainly never given him money directly, it's always through buying gas itself. Funny enough when I go to friends cottages who have a ski boat or there neighbours have ski boats I always bring a 5 gallon right down to the dock with me and my ski. I'm also sure this seems very defensive but what do you expect. I get your point, "you got to pay to play" and I certainly don't pull my weight, but I do enjoy the boat and take good care of it, it would be in far worse shape with less hours if I wasn't around. My apologies for being a bit defensive but what did you expect.

Maybe not in this thread, but I've seen him call it "his" in several others...

Thanks Nitrous, but Pnwrider is correct. I try and differentiate ownership when it's relevant, ie a thread like this or when I'm on the water and someone complements the boat I'll respond "thanks but it's not mine". In a forum like this I'll call it our VTX a lot mainly for convenience as who owns the boat has nothing to do with how we ballast "my fathers VTX" etc. It can be really redundant saying "my fathers VTX" every second post when it really isn't relevant to the convo. Next time you use someone's wakesurf or rope, or wakeboard or ballast etc etc, write "so-and-so's surfboard" and see how quickly it becomes annoying and irrelevant information. I figure the people I talk to regularly on this forum know who's boat it is and the situation I am in, that shouldn't take away from any useful information I may be providing in a post.

Tricky-- haters are gonna hate, you dont owe anyone an explanation on here.

Just dont flaunt, be appreciative of your father and dont take advantage even if you can. And bust your A$$ to help Dad out in every other way you can.

• Like 3

Tricky-- haters are gonna hate, you dont owe anyone an explanation on here.

Just dont flaunt, be appreciative of your father and dont take advantage even if you can. And bust your A$$ to help Dad out in every other way you can.

Great advice. It sounds like Tricky is appreciative. Do what you can to pay him back...go mow the lawn, trim the shrubs...I suspect what he really wants is for you to be a productive, honest individual. He hopes that if you are on the boat, that you aren't out shooting up drugs, or getting into other mischief.

Funny enough when I go to friends cottages who have a ski boat or there neighbours have ski boats I always bring a 5 gallon right down to the dock with me and my ski.

This is a good idea. I keep my boat on a lift, and I hate going to the marina. I'd much rather a buddy show up with 5 gallon's of gas than cash.

As for your dad floating your bill... I think the best thing you can do is sincerely thank him. Tell him very directly that you appreciate the use of his boat and gas. From the sound of his situation, I think he'd appreciate that over cash. I also like the earlier advice that you AND your buddies ought to chip in with yard work, etc.

This is a good idea. I keep my boat on a lift, and I hate going to the marina. I'd much rather a buddy show up with 5 gallon's of gas than cash.

As for your dad floating your bill... I think the best thing you can do is sincerely thank him. Tell him very directly that you appreciate the use of his boat and gas. From the sound of his situation, I think he'd appreciate that over cash. I also like the earlier advice that you AND your buddies ought to chip in with yard work, etc.

People tend to accept gas over cash more easily. Plus I don't want to bring gas somewhere and than bring it back home full. I know some people that won't take either and I'll leave a 20 in the glove box from time to time.

Yeah I think well go for a good fish sometime this weekend, I'd like to get it off the chest too. As for yard work, The cottage is an acre and a half point with 1400ft waterfront, so we've done our fair share of yard work between leaves, storms taking down trees, 3 docks, boat lift etc.

Just a suggestion, but maybe be sure your donating the same grade of gas that the boat owner uses everyday. I just use Regular, but I know some of you guys use the mid-grade or even premium & might crinch at your baby drinkin the cheap stuff.

Just a suggestion, but maybe be sure your donating the same grade of gas that the boat owner uses everyday. I just use Regular, but I know some of you guys use the mid-grade or even premium & might crinch at your baby drinkin the cheap stuff.

Never thought about that one at all. I think most folks around here, especially skiers keep there boats and demands simple. Certainly something to ask next time.

When I first got my boat, a guy was going out with me quite a bit. I took his family a lot, also. I never asked him for money, buy one day he shows up at my house with a Wedge. He went to the dealer and plunked down $350 for it and surprised me. I never accepted another dime from him ever, even though he offered.

• Like 3