Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need your OPINIONS about GAS COSTS!

Marc1983

People that don't own a boat are shocked at how much gas I go through in a day pulling kids around and usually offer to pay. Paying boat gas is allot cheaper than owning the boat. People should pay after the first weekend.

If you can't pay for gas then you're bringing me something to eat and drink and your helping clean the boat. I.E. taking your garbage with you.

I'm not your mother clean up after yourself and help out.

• Like 2

I've always been against accepting any money in the past, my justification was that I would be going anyways and the added weight is and company is always welcome. As the crew got bigger I've changed my views slightly only because instead of burning a quarter tank we sometimes go through closer to a half. I never ask, but accept more often now when offered. I would probably still invite everyone even if no one offered $ because its still more fun with a larger group but a few extra bucks are nice too.. :) I think i enjoy pulling others as much as i like riding myself. There is nothing better that watching someone get up for the first time or their face when they feel the push of the wave for the 1st time.

If someone lit up a smoke on my boat that would be a one way trip to the dock... nastiest habit ever, cant even imagine someone smoking around our boat.

I have a couple friends that smoke cigars, but they ALWAYS wait until we're switching riders or something like that and go smoke on the back platform (downwind from my boat). I don't have a problem with it because I know these guys would pay for any repairs no problem.

We are extremely fortunate to have a crew of boaters/wakeboarders on our local river that ALWAYS WITHOUT EXCEPTION offer to give gas money. However, 90% of the riders also own boats, so we're really just passing the same $20 back and forth! :lol:

That reminds me, I think I still owe Brett B a wakeboard set behind my boat!! I'll get you back soon Brett!!! :salute:

Going out almost every weekend has given me an appreciation towards the amount of money that goes into owning/operating a boat. Boat gas, truck gas, food, drinks, boat materials, boat/truck maintenance, etc. sure ain't cheap. The few times I have been in other's boat, I bring at least $20 and make sure to clean interior/wipe down exterior before leaving.

Edited by MCObray

If someone lit up a smoke on my boat that would be a one way trip to the dock... nastiest habit ever, cant even imagine someone smoking around our boat.

Hey man this is where smoking was invented...haha

Personally, I don't smoke and dont care for it. I don't care that others smoke as long as they know to protect my boat. I am hyper-sensitive when someone lights up on the boat the first time. All of my crew knows to follow the rules. There aren't many. It isn't hard. And I don't think they take away from anyone's fun on the boat.

I really appreciate all the comments. Whether eating items or smoking on a boat, or chipping in for gas...I think it all comes down to respect and common courtesy. Just my 2 cents

Edited by macdaddy
  • Like 2

I think people should at least offer....it is up to you whether you take it or not. I can definitely pay for my gas, but I was told by a family member that this is the price you pay for owning a boat...no offer to pay for gas, and that is after her kids were in my boat all weekend. They wakeboarded more than I hydrofoiled. Over the fourth, I ran through about $180 of fuel. No one chipped in for gas and no one helped clean the boat or wipe it down. Friends that own boats always chip in because they know all the work that goes into it. I guess I would just like the gesture offered. I guess it is the a sign of the times.

Agreed, and I'll say that I rarely accepted gas money when it was my boat. But if someone treated me with that much disrespect & was that blunt about expecting me to foot the bill, then she better not be insulted when I tell her just as bluntly that she & her clan would not receive another invitation back.

I don't ask for gas money and won't accept it when I have someone out in the boat for the first time. I won't take it at all from family, but if I have someone that is coming out often, then I will accept some help with the gas.

What I cherish more is people who offer to help with the boat. Like just helping wipe it down or get all of the gear out and help get it covered. I especially like people who help when I pull the boat out every 4-6wks (I keep the boat moored) for a cleaning and waxing. I have done all of the cleaning, waxing, oil changes etc. by myself, but it all goes much faster with some help. There are people I have had out in the boat many times and never got offered any money, nor did I ask, but then they became scarce several times when it came time to pull the boat for cleaning. I stopped inviting them out.

Regular crew is $10 for a weekday ride (typically 1-2 sets/person), split gas equally during a weekend day. If regular crew invites people, they are responsible for the actions of the people they invite.

"rare" riders (<1/month) ride free. most of the time they are friends i don't see very much.

My issue is when friends of friends invite friends. that s#it pisses me off.

Wakegirl, i agree with your comments....but family is family...i just bite my tongue. Like other comments posted here, maybe people really do not understand all that goes behind the scenes in boating. My wife always tells me that i am very particular with how things get done on my boat....cleaning, wiping down, etc. But after this fourth of July weekend and me doing all the cleaning, and just dealing with so many kids in the boat...my wife is wondering why i did not have fun?? Don't get me wrong, I know I am particular, but I get to the point where I am beginning to hate all the work with boating...especially with little ride time. Thanks everybody for letting me rant! Sorry to hijack the post....guess i am going to have to lay down some new rules and really enforce them!!

Edited by macdaddy

Wakegirl, i agree with your comments....but family is family...i just bite my tongue. Like other comments posted here, maybe people really do not understand all that goes behind the scenes in boating. My wife always tells me that i am very particular with how things get done on my boat....cleaning, wiping down, etc. But after this fourth of July weekend and me doing all the cleaning, and just dealing with so many kids in the boat...my wife is wondering why i did not have fun?? Don't get me wrong, I know I am particular, but I get to the point where I am beginning to hate all the work with boating...especially with little ride time. Thanks everybody for letting me rant! Sorry to hijack the post....guess i am going to have to lay down some new rules and really enforce them!!

Family should treat one another better than that. But yeah, it's a tough one for sure. You can always rant here, we understand. :)

• Like 1

I kinda hate getting a wadded up $20. But if, every once in a while, you jump out of the truck and beat me to the gas pump with your credit card and say "this tank's on me," well, that would be awesome.

And wiping down is a given.

My line has always been "first one is on me" shortly followed by "you may not be invited back anyways". I'm always joking but it lets them know that I'm not opposed to "donations". I will never ask someone for gas money. Luckily I have good friends that chip in most of the time. I also have a good circle of friends with boats and we share trips. I go with you, you come with me and no money change hands. Boat owner never buys beer, booze or food tho.

ive got horrible friends that never pitch in..ever :Frustrated: they are slowly getting filtered out but it kinda stinks to go riding with just me and the wife..the worst part about them is they dont follow the rules on the boat..it sucks.

I think it is as it is with most anything. Appropriate expectation setting in the beginning leads to a good time by all.

Mjlee, if they don't follow the rules then sucks to be them. It is your boat and your responsibility. Their enjoyment should never come at your enjoyment's expense. If they can't manage to do as you ask they are very friendly anyway. I see my boat the same as I see my house. I would not let things slide in my house at a cookout. I won't let them slide on my boat. If anything, I would say you should be stricter on the boat. It is a much more dangerous environment.

Time to find new friends.

IMO, it is common courtesy if your intention is to get a pull whether you are wakeboarding or wakesurfing. Heck, most boat charter companies out there charge you $60 for 20 min water time.

We always invite friends. God has truly blessed me with my Bu so I share it as much as I can.

I never ask for nor do I expect fuel money. If offered I'll take it as these are the ones who understand the cost of owning a boat.

• Like 4

This issue is not about gas and it is not about money. it is bigger than that it is about being a proper host and a proper guest...

When I was 18 I was lucky enough to have a boat. And I made the smart choice of letting go of two so-called friends ..This issue is what triggered it... but there was more to it than that. I realized how much i was letting them take advantage of me. Not just in the boat but in other ways to. I invited them on the boat for probably the 10th time.. They promised to help me clean and pay for gas but when we got back thy jumped out of the truck grabbed their stuff and actually ran away to their house 3 doors down laughing the whole way.. I didn't keep good friends back then.

Boating can help you figure out who your friends really are and who is taking advantage of you.... I.. but i'm a little older and wiser now in my 40's .

On the surface this issue seems to be about gas and money.. But what it really has to do with is common courtesy and the type of people you choose to surround youself with.

When you are invited to dinner, or somebodys house there is a social expectation on the way we all should behave. These are social norms common to all of us.. At dinner we offer to help pay clear the table etc.

There are social norms in a boat too. But many people are not familiar with the social norms of a a boat. So dont get mad the first time this may be their first experience on a boat they need time to learn.

1st time on my boat you are my guest so I dont expect too much (but most polite folks should at least demonstrate a willingness to help)

2nd time I start explaining that it is important to learn how to be a good crew member on anybodys boat so please ask me questions... and i'll start to ask them to pitch in and help if they havent started offering already.(now your starting to set expectations and they may get the hint that all the fun they are having means a bit of work too. I'll pull up to the pump at the marina and say " wow gas sure is expensive here" (They should get the hint)(if not they are either clueless or just rude)

3rd time before we go out if they have still not offered to help and pay for gas. I'll be blunt ... Hey want to go out on the boat again? Yes... Okay do you think you can help me out a bit with cleaning the boat and gas. when we are done?

After that If you have any problems then that person is just taking advantage of you. It is like going to dinner and being stuck with the check time and time again. I would suggest inviting someone else

Edited by tccombs
  • Like 1

Depends:

- Friends/crew - they always chip in without me ever asking, hinting, mentioning, etc. When friends don't it is normally because they have done some recent favors for me. Never an issue with these folks.

- Family - depends. My one brother comes out more than anyone else and he always chips in, again without asking. My mom, dad and sister come out every once in a great while. Only when we were going anyway and they don't do any watersports. I would ask, expect, want or accept money from them for it.

- Wife's mom/sister come here every other summer for a week. They spend a good fortune to get here so I would feel bad if they spent any more money for boat gas.

As for family expecting me to be the party host and foot all the cost. Never happened and I wouldn't do it without them chipping in for gas. Difference between me inviting a couple people out and inviting a family that would basically take from much of my time in the water.

If they just ride in the boat, all I want is help wiping it down after we get out. If I'm pulling them behind the boat I expect food, drinks or a pull behind their boat. My group of friends won't accept $$ from me, so I return the favor by never accepting $$ from them. Shoot, we don't even offer anymore. It's just understood that we ride behind each others boats, so probably a wash on money. I've been lucky and always had a good crew on the boat helping out. There has been the rare person that didn't help or pay, but they haven't been invited back out on the boat. So, in short, pretty similar to what everyone else is saying.