Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

I jumped ship today - initial new boat review (X2)

bamabonners

Thanks man! Sorry for the long post, I was excited and blabbing on about it with my friends here at the crew. I shortened it. PM me if you want more details.

Aw come on! I was just about to read it all. I say put it back, there was some good thoughts there.

Kinda like when Chattwake gives his reasons for purchasing whatever boat he gets each year. It's nice to hear someone's observations on the little things.

• Like 1

looked at all 20 footers available and settled on Mastercraft X2. Too many reasons to list why. I will give some feedback on the wake once weather permits. For a 20 foot boat it does really well. Is it not pro level, but it is all I we can handle at our amateur level ability.

You are all welcome on my boat any time!

Congrats! I assume you sold the VLX?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bama,

I'd be interested in reading the original long post. I don't have much opportunity to check out new boats so I appreciate reading others opinion. Also purely based on size of interior how do the VTX and X2 compare? I know when I was out this weekend I was in 3 different 21 ft moombas and I can easily say the VTX could hold more people comfortably. It's nice having a small boat with a big interior!

Congrats on the purchase but we need pics!!! Also best post was the dealer post! (Ahem Malibu)

Last vtx i was in was at the factory, but i believe that the Vtx does seem to have more room the cockpit, but less in the bow. Understandable with the pickle of the x2. The x2 seems to have more cockpit room than the 20mxz, but less in the bow. I think the x2 is deeper than the vtx interior, if that matters. I grew up with bass boats, so all wake boats seem deep to me. LoL! Vtx rear lockers may be a bit bigger as well. Malibu pushes the dash area pretty far forward in the hull so it allows for larger rear lockers and cockpit, but the trade off is a smaller bow.

Congrats! My buddies have MC's and I like them as well. I guess I am just an inboard newbie and not so locked into to one brand. I just love boating. I am curious what you were referencing about Malibu dealers in our area? Skiers Marine in Athens did not serve you well?

Last vtx i was in was at the factory, but i believe that the Vtx does seem to have more room the cockpit, but less in the bow. Understandable with the pickle of the x2. The x2 seems to have more cockpit room than the 20mxz, but less in the bow. I think the x2 is deeper than the vtx interior, if that matters. I grew up with bass boats, so all wake boats seem deep to me. LoL! Vtx rear lockers may be a bit bigger as well. Malibu pushes the dash area pretty far forward in the hull so it allows for larger rear lockers and cockpit, but the trade off is a smaller bow.

Thanks all very good info, Seems like there are a bit different but comparable. Definitely surprises people when I tell them it's a 20ft boat.

Congrats! My buddies have MC's and I like them as well. I guess I am just an inboard newbie and not so locked into to one brand. I just love boating. I am curious what you were referencing about Malibu dealers in our area? Skiers Marine in Athens did not serve you well?

I was with pirates cove in Winchester, TN. They are under new ownership and not sure what is going on between the new owners and malibu at the moment. Chad at skiers marine is super nice. I was going to go look at a boat there before I bought the MC. I would not hesitate to send anyone to them. That reminds me, I need to tell him I am not coming to look at the sa350 next week.... Edited by bamabonners

I was with pirates cove in Winchester, TN. They are under new ownership and not sure what is going on between the new owners and malibu at the moment. Chad at skiers marine is super nice. I was going to go look at a boat there before I bought the MC. I would not hesitate to send anyone to them. That reminds me, I need to tell him I am not coming to look at the sa350 next week....

Chad is nice guy and very responsive. I did not buy my Malibu from him and he still emails me to make sure all is well with it. I will use the Skiers Marine in Westover as it is closer to Mitchell.

Did you ever get over to check out a MB? I saw you asking about them a week or so ago.

MB guys are so passionate their brand that it makes me want to check one out. Not that I will be buying a new boat anytime soon.

No I did not get to go and look at Mb. The ones I have been in at boat shows seem very well built. I don't care for the shape of their version of pickle fork. No doubt they perform though.

Sorry to see you jumped ship man........................... :cry:

All the best with the new toy.

Edited by Dare2goBare
  • Like 1

Bama, extra ballast is easy DIY on your boat. Spencer from wakemakers can answer questions. I can do MC surf tabs with switches on your boat :)

• Like 1

Bama, extra ballast is easy DIY on your boat. Spencer from wakemakers can answer questions. I can do MC surf tabs with switches on your boat :)

Tell me on the surf tabs... Can you get a deal on a set?

Bama, I really hope your X2 is everything you want in a boat... but comparing apples to apples, the X2 does not seem to have near as many features as the VTX.

X2 is missing:

-No surfgate

-No quad tank ballast (1250 lbs)

-No power wedge

-Smaller beam width

-G3 Tower (just my opinion, but I like it better than any MC tower)

Are they using throttle by wire now on the new MCs? I know my brother in laws X-15 shifts like a tank, I like his boat, but there is a lot of plastic components in the boat...

Did you actually compare and test drive both of them? actually wakeboard and surf behind both boats?

Edited by Fman

Not to pile on as I do think the x-2 is attractive, but doesnt' the x-2 use above-floor ballast tanks?

Negative, all below the floor with jabsco reversible pumps.

• Like 1

Then what is being shown in this video at 1:40 that is a plastic tank with hoses taking up more than 1/3 of the space underneath port side seat?

http://www.mastercraft.com/boat/detail/x2

Yeah good catch, not sure. I was under the impression that all x2s had ballast under the floor (like my 06). Perhaps the newer ones have ballast above the floor?

Yeah good catch, not sure. I was under the impression that all x2s had ballast under the floor (like my 06). Perhaps the newer ones have ballast above the floor?

here it is again on the 12:

ballast tanks are in the rear under the locker floors and in the middle under the walk through. You can see part of the front of the tank in the starboard locker. It takes up a little bit of room (about a foot long and 6 inches high), but you can still pile things on top of it. I have got lots of pics, uploading them now. Still now wake videos or pics because it is still raining...

I will get pics and videos of the wake once I can get on the water. It has been a downpour for 3 days and no end in sight.

Here is a link to the photo album with interior pics. These are dark because it is currently in storage.

http://s751.photobucket.com/user/bamabonners/library/2013%20MC%20x2

A few notable ones:

view from the driver's seat:

NOKIALumia900_000374_zpsa7d6eb58.jpg

port locker storage retractable light:

NOKIALumia900_000379_zpsb1169aa2.jpg

starboard locker storage light:

NOKIALumia900_000380_zps2f5d20b5.jpg

Edited by bamabonners