Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Teak help

hyperlitenerd

Take it to a spray on bedliner place and have them spray it for a hundred bucks. It looks better, has a better grip and will last as long as you will own the boat. When mine gets funked up I am going to have it done. KC

Take it to a spray on bedliner place and have them spray it for a hundred bucks. It looks better, has a better grip and will last as long as you will own the boat. When mine gets funked up I am going to have it done. KC

It probably would last a long time that way, but I happen to like the look of teak. I'm willing to pay the maintenance price as long as it's not too much, but hopefully that will drop with Teakgaurd.

I would spray it with the bleach/water mix, then let it sit in the sun for a good hot day. After that I would hit it with the sander. I think you want to kill the mold before you sand.

JMO

gah! pulling our teak out we look at the top of it, and it is almost all black!! it was laying top down on the floor of our boat, yes it is big enough to fit snugly on the floor. I have been trying to restore it to its original condition, with no luck what so ever. I have tried teak cleaner, teak preper, it takes all the excess water and chemicals out, and I have tried to sand it. Nothing, not even a dent!  Mad.gif 

Any idea what this could be??

Is there a progress report on the black teak issue?

What worked and what didn't?

Well It seemed to have stoped raining/being cloudy today, so I set the teak out this morrning around 8 and came back to it around 5, with no noticable change. Tomorrow weather permiting I will try the sugggested ideas, see how they work, maybe even get the little brother to take pictues.

Well It seemed to have stoped raining/being cloudy today, so I set the teak out this morrning around 8 and came back to it around 5, with no noticable change. Tomorrow weather permiting I will try the sugggested ideas, see how they work, maybe even get the little brother to take pictues.

Good luck with it.

88 skier,

you said you removed Teak Guard.  did you have problems with it?  Was it hard to remove?

I find Teak Guard is excellent for older platforms. It doesn't hold up as well on newer platforms. My Skier platform looks the best it has in years and has held up well with Teak Guard. My Sportster platform was in good shape and only 1 year old when I put Teak Guard on it. It did not hold up that well. Wakeboards scratched it easily and it seemed to get a lot of nicks. I took a palm sander and sanded it down and then used cleaner on it. It took some work, but looks like new. I am going to go back to oil on that one. I also like the look of oil better. Teak Guard looks good, but not quite the same. It sort of has a Liquid Gold look to it. Teak Guard is a good product, I just like oil better for a newer boat that has a platform that is in good condition.

• 2 weeks later...

On my 2003 Response, some sort of wax coating on the swim platform from new prevented me getting it perfect.

The new LX has a far better platform and already I have been prepping it with Teak Wonder products which seem to be excellent.

The site http://www.teakwonder.co.uk/whatis.htm should fill in the gaps..

Edited by andyb

Sanding the platform just makes it all hairy. The Teak Wonder products will strip all the grey crap off and the restore a beautiful yellow hue before you apply a final coating of kerosene+teak oil. It looks great and water beads off like a new polish job on a car.

Edited by andyb