Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2002 Sunscape 21 LSV Too Much Weight?

sledandski

Just get the 537 & use the 381 as a backup. Most of the Monsoon vdrives come with a 537 from the factory, & as 85 said it would be a good fit for your needs. The 381 is a dog.

Thats what I am leaning towards right now, I will give Acme a call sometime soon and get their 2 cents and go from there.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the 381 as well and I and going to try the 1939. I will be running about 1850 for surfing plus people. My understanding is that it should give me nearly the same RPMs as the 537 with more low end. Will I see a noticeable drop in top speed? Maybe the 537 would be better?

Sorry Brodie, I have not tried either of them yet (other things I want for the boat more at this time). Maybe someone else has more experience??

I have the 2003 21 LSV and just installed the ACME 1235. So far it has been great and we get a top speed of 45mph. Great at lower speeds and with weight (about 1200lbs) when surfing.

• 2 weeks later...

Edstygar,

What engine do you have in your boat? Thanks for the input!!

I have the 335. I like the boat, just got it last year. Next projects are adding perfect pass and internal ballast, I use bags and sumo pumps now.

Edstygar, i'm interesting in your Ballast Setup, because i've also a 2003 21 Sunscape...

I have no internal ballast. I have two 900lb bags and one 500lb bag. For surfing I put the wedge down, one 900 in the surfside rear compartment, one 900 on surf side seat all the way back, and the 500 on surfside seat on bow. That seems to work pretty well. I am in a shallow lake, so I am noticing a big difference between surfing in 5ft vs 9ft. I cant wait to try in 20ft of water!

I finally got my new-to-me 02 Sunscape dialed in for surfing. wedge down, Swapped out rear port factory tank for 750 (wish I had gotten the 1100), ~300lb tube sac under port seats, center mls-500, bow bag under seats ~350, and depending on size of crew, another 400 port side in the bow (have to be really careful not to chilly dip it). Tube sac and bow sac are plumbed off of a Johnson reversible pump, LOVE IT!! Surf wake was really good, with a lot of push and a long pocket. Now I just need to put on my new 1939 prop.

I am bad at taking pics when on the boat, but did get this of my wife's 9 year old cousin:

post-4769-0-81710200-1373571684_thumb.jp

Edited by Brodie

Just for fun...

Im running a 750 in the rear, as much of a 500 under the surf side seat and as much of my other 500 that will fit under the bow seat on the surf side, wedge down. I am super impressed with the wave. At some point I am going to be a V sac up front and a locker sack in. I think a little more weight up front and I will be in business. When I have the crew for it I put two people up from and its awesome.

You can't get much weight in a 500 lb bag under the bow seats. I actually stick the filler cushion in and fill the 500 in the bow til it's about to burst. Leave it right on the seats surf-side.

Edited by UWSkier

EDIT: As for wake surfing, you need the wedge down with this hull. Fill your port hard tank, throw your 450 lb bag in there. Put the other bag under the port seat as full as you can and as far forward as you can. Bow ballast helps make the wake longer. With the exact same hull, I run 600 lbs in locker, 500ish under port seats, 500 in bow, wedge down. No center ballast. Works great.

I have been running what UWSkier recommended (quoted) and it has worked out very well. I tried using the center ballast instead of the sac under the port side seats and it did not work as well. The boat was just not rolled over enough to clean the surf side wake up.

My next mod though is going to be a manual surfgate

I have the 335. I like the boat, just got it last year. Next projects are adding perfect pass and internal ballast, I use bags and sumo pumps now.

Thanks,

Same here. Perfect pass is awesome and so is internal ballast.

You can't get much weight in a 500 lb bag under the bow seats. I actually stick the filler cushion in and fill the 500 in the bow til it's about to burst. Leave it right on the seats surf-side.

Yup... I gotta get my bow filler cushion out of the garage.