Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rank the Ski Boat Manufacturers

Afun

Malibu interior/exterior and Centurion (surf)wake/ballast. Winner.

I'm liking the Supreme v226 also, but hands down 'Bu for all around water sports, lounging, and straight up lookin' sharp on/off the water.

From the upholstery, to the tower, to the windshield, to the design, even the trailer...... It was all definitely not for me.

You do realize that the dual axle Boatmate trailer is the very same one made for your Malibu?

I'd put my boats wake, engine, ballast system, speed control, stereo, up against anything else from any other maker. However, when it ones to the nice carpet and curved vinyl, then there isn't any comparison.

Also, the extra $20k I save is pretty nice. There is a reason the Axis line is in such demand. If you want to come out to OKC for a pull, come on!

I have questions about this statement. I haven't driven one with the Gorilla fins so I can't comment on the improved handling (though I have zero complaints with my regular fins which is why I didn't think it was necessary to upgrade). But props and engines?! Malibu went downhill big time on engine selection from 2006-2009. 2004 was no better than 2002-2003 for motors, 2005 was a bit of an improvement. As for props, what did Malibu really do different? Seems the only V-drive props they have offered this century are the Acme 381, 537, 1939 and 1235 (which is the high altitude option).

So, in 2005 they had a base engine that put out more than 325 hp and a Monsoon that put out more than 340 hp? Because those were the base and first upgrade in 2008, and I am pretty sure they were more advanced than what you could get in 2005.

I'd say :

Tier 1

Mastercraft and Correct Craft

Tier 1.1

Malibu. Great boat just not blinged out as the first two, and that's a good thing but the bling has a lot of craftsmanship. The first two are just over the top.

Tier 2

Supra and tige

Tier 2.5

Moomba, Axis, Centurion, Mb

Tier 3

Epic and The rest..

This is not from a wake perspective purely my opinion based on innovation, design, craftsmanship, and quality.

I'll give you Mastercraft is over the top if what you mean by that is gauche (lacking social grace,sensitivity or acuteness; awkward; crude; tactless). Now some of their older boats, a lot nicer IMO.

To the OPs question, I think you would have two very different list if you ranked overall "best" vs. "best value". You will maybe see Supra, Tige, and MB, Axis in the best value categories, probably the best value of all is a used Malibu!

Edited by MalibuTime
  • Like 1

So, in 2005 they had a base engine that put out more than 325 hp and a Monsoon that put out more than 340 hp? Because those were the base and first upgrade in 2008, and I am pretty sure they were more advanced than what you could get in 2005.

2008:

320HP LCR

340HP Monsoon

400HP Hammerhead

425HP Big Block

2005:

ALL of the above, exact same HP specs...PLUS:

330HP Black Scorpion

375HP LS1

What makes you think the Monsoon you buy now is all that more advanced than the one you could buy in 1996? The last real GM update on those motors was in '96. Sure Indmar has added DBW, has a newer EFI setup and can be had with CATS now, but none of that makes any more power or make them more reliable.

But what did happen was the GEN-III SBC (LS1) was dropped from 2006-2009 and not replaced until 2010, with the GEN-IV LS3. And now 3 of them are offered (L96, LS3, LSA). The L18 big block was dropped as GM stopped making it after 2009.

If we are talking modern wakeboard boats, this is how I rate the ones that I have experience with:

Handling:

*Malibu #1 by a long shot. It sold me on the boat over Natique, Mastercraft, Supra, MB, Centurion

Interior Fit and Finish/Quality

*Mastercraft and Natique #1

*Malibu distant #2. They look nice but way too much plastic and stickers for my taste. And both my 2011 and 2012 dropped nuts and wahsers from the dash area. (Real nice Malibu!) Electrical harness not up to standards for Tier 1 custom boat.

*Supra / MB / Centurion #3. Vinyl not quite as nice as Malibu but they have closed the gap. In many ways the MB interoir quality is better than Malibu as they seem to use less plastic and subsitute billet for stickers.

Hull Construction:

I'm not educated enough on the construction differences between the brands, but visually (gel quality):

#1 Natique / Mastercraft / MB. (I am really impressed with the gel quality of the MB boats that I have seen)

#2 Malibu / Centurion / Supra. More visual flaws can be detected.

Powertrain:

Pretty much the same on most of the brands from a performance standpoint. Rating the engine outfitters:

*PCM / ILmor #1. I have no data to support but their marinization seems to be the most professional / well thought out.

*Indmar / Merc #2.

Wakeboard Wake: (From a non-pro standpoint)

#1 is the Natique G23. Huge, rampy and good at all speeds. Really impressive but a little intimidating.

#2 Malibu. Rampy and good at all speeds. Perfect for me.

#3 Mastercraft / Supra / MB. Big wake but will wash out quickly depending on speed and weight.

Surf Wake:

#1 Natique / Malibu. (Surfgate and NSS) allows for more flexibility and ease of use

#2 Centurion. Probably still the best (leaned over) wave.

#3 all the rest.

Tower

#1 Malibu. Hard to beat it's function and looks great

#2 All the rest.

Edited by Tims

Malibu interior/exterior and Centurion (surf)wake/ballast. Winner.

I'm liking the Supreme v226 also, but hands down 'Bu for all around water sports, lounging, and straight up lookin' sharp on/off the water.

Isn't the Centurion ballast a bunch of bags above the floor? Less impressive than plug'n'play in my opinion, or am I missing something? Best ballast has to be the pure vert. Not to mention technically wedge, SG and NSS should fall into that category as well.

Malibu's are definitely very high quality boats but there success is in a family wakeboat. they do everything very very well, but aren't the star of any.

I think he is referring to the surf wave of the centurion and not the ballast system. Somewhat hard to deny that those enzos can throw out amazing wave with less weight than similar size Malibu. Fit/finish is a whole different story and Malibu definitely has the upper hand in in this category.

The centurion just sounds like an Axis that can surf well.. :P

Build quality on the Centaurian doesn't even come close to any Axis. A buddy of mine who has an Enzo had his tower legs crack because they got water inside somehow & it froze.... time to replace the entire tower. We had it out on the Columbia for a big air competition, figured it would kick up the biggest. What we didn't realize is that boat doesn't have the power to get out of it's own way if both sides of the ballast are full.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Isn't the Centurion ballast a bunch of bags above the floor? Less impressive than plug'n'play in my opinion, or am I missing something? Best ballast has to be the pure vert. Not to mention technically wedge, SG and NSS should fall into that category as well.

Malibu's are definitely very high quality boats but there success is in a family wakeboat. they do everything very very well, but aren't the star of any.

You are missing something. Centurions have pure vert! Sounds like they are going a step above pure vert to with Mike's latest ballast invention. Empty until you get up on plane, then fills in seconds...

If we are talking modern wakeboard boats, this is how I rate the ones that I have experience with:

Handling:

*Malibu #1 by a long shot. It sold me on the boat over Natique, Mastercraft, Supra, MB, Centurion

Interior Fit and Finish/Quality

*Mastercraft and Natique #1

*Malibu distant #2. They look nice but way too much plastic and stickers for my taste. And both my 2011 and 2012 dropped nuts and wahsers from the dash area. (Real nice Malibu!) Electrical harness not up to standards for Tier 1 custom boat.

*Supra / MB / Centurion #3. Vinyl not quite as nice as Malibu but they have closed the gap. In many ways the MB interoir quality is better than Malibu as they seem to use less plastic and subsitute billet for stickers.

Could not have said it better.

Edited by srintx

The centurion just sounds like an Axis that can surf well.. :P

Build quality on the Centaurian doesn't even come close to any Axis. A buddy of mine who has an Enzo had his tower legs crack because they got water inside somehow & it froze.... time to replace the entire tower. We had it out on the Columbia for a big air competition, figured it would kick up the biggest. What we didn't realize is that boat doesn't have the power to get out of it's own way if both sides of the ballast are full.

Wow that's crazy! Never heard of that happening.

Agree, the handling on my 247 was light years ahead of my G25 but the G25 rides infinitely better in rough water and there is no comparison in build quality.

Folks tend to use the G's as the ultimate example of bling and overindulgence... Yep they are pricey...Just know that 24 MXZs have already sold for more than what I bought my G for.

The ultimate example of bling to me is the $135k Xstar that can't even surf.... And I'd argue a $70k 247 and likely 24MXZ can throw a better wake than a $135-155kXstar. NO new tech there another than touch screens, bright orange and neon green vinyl and power towers.

Also along with talking boat build quality and performance, fit and finish... Dealer service and quality matters... nationwide, not just the awesome dealer 5 mins away you have known for 15yrs.. It was the #1 consideration for me above performance, price, looks or quality. All the top boat manufactures have awesome boats. Means nothing if you are broke down and having issues with dealers and a customer service that are unresponsive. Pretty obvious to me some boat manuf shoot to please 70% and win profits by volume and numbers, not worth the effort for the other 30% vs making an effort to do right by all their customers.. I guess it's one of this things that doesn't matter till it happens to you.

• Like 1

That's what he gets for failing to winterize his tower. :)

Edited by Ruffdog
  • Like 1

I'll give you Mastercraft is over the top if what you mean by that is gauche (lacking social grace,sensitivity or acuteness; awkward; crude; tactless). Now some of their older boats, a lot nicer IMO.

To the OPs question, I think you would have two very different list if you ranked overall "best" vs. "best value". You will maybe see Supra, Tige, and MB, Axis in the best value categories, probably the best value of all is a used Malibu!

OP here. Came back from vacation and the thread blew up. Very good responses overall. I just wish prices would come down some on all ski boats.

I think he is referring to the surf wave of the centurion and not the ballast system. Somewhat hard to deny that those enzos can throw out amazing wave with less weight than similar size Malibu. Fit/finish is a whole different story and Malibu definitely has the upper hand in in this category.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

You are missing something. Centurions have pure vert! Sounds like they are going a step above pure vert to with Mike's latest ballast invention. Empty until you get up on plane, then fills in seconds...

Where did you hear this?

Where did you hear this?

Pure vert is on the current boats as an option.

Google up centurion ramfill for teaser info about next years system.

Pure vert is on the current boats as an option. Google up centurion ramfill for teaser info about next years system.

Right, obviously very familiar with pure vert but best I can tell ramfill only available on the new fx-44? centurion crew thread taken down. If this is the murphy system and will be mass-produced, definitely looking forward to seeing it!

Right, obviously very familiar with pure vert but best I can tell ramfill only available on the new fx-44? centurion crew thread taken down. If this is the murphy system and will be mass-produced, definitely looking forward to seeing it!

This is it. And you watch, there are changes brewing to Mike's system.