Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rank the Ski Boat Manufacturers

Afun

I have never seen any of those in person. I am sure they deserve to be mentioned.

I have seen a gekko in person and no they don't deserve to be mentioned.

• Like 2

I have seen a gekko in person and no they don't deserve to be mentioned.

Can we mention brands from the past decade that aren't around anymore...such as Toyota Epic and the Regal Session boats?

Got to climb around in the new Supra SA fit and finish was top notch, some cool toys like adjustable drivers seat, I love my Bu and they are still #1, but if money was no object there are some great boats out there.

Just a few notes on my own impressions from various boats I've owned or worked with.

- Malibu definitely has it all together... fit, finish, features, details, etc. I like'em.... a LOT. Plush, deep interiors. Great wakes. Super solid to drive & ride behind. I think things improved a lot in about 2004 with Gorilla Fins, advanced props & engines. Biggest flaw over the years was anything they used from Metcraft Industries.

- Never owned a Nautique & ran into some issues with the only dealers in our area. I have a few friends who own them & like them.

- Owned a Mastercraft 205 for about 7 yrs, loved it. Great boat. Only issue I ever had in it is it was tough to contend with other boats big wakes. I'd own any 205 hull any time.

- Calabria - like Diehard mentions, their the old Brendella. Excellent fiberglass work. Vinyl is sub par compared to any of the above 3. Electronics are well known to have issues. Never liked how shallow the interior is. Biggest flaw over the years was anything they used from Metcraft Industries. Ballast designed & patented by Mike Murphy.

- Axis - we use them for AirSanta every year. Nice boats. Very creative interiors. Simple. Good quality. I like'em. It's a tossup if I'd buy a used Malibu or a new Axis.

- MB - current Brendal company. Excellent fiberglass work, and use of billet accessories rather than plastic. New designs are a great, including hull, tower, ballast & bimini. Ballast designed & patented by Mike Murphy.

- Supra, Tige, & Sanger - nice boats, old & new. Never have had much to do with them as their dealer network sucks up here. But they have definitely caught my eye. Biggest flaw over the years was anything they used from Metcraft Industries.

- Centaurian - Sub par upholstery & Metcraft towers. I haven't been able to RUN away from these boats fast enough. Every time I've been in one it was a nightmare.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

I was on a 2012 axis that was at the summer camp I go to sometimes. Pretty unimpressed. The vinyl felt thin and the interior was sparse and the wake wasn't great but granted it was an A20 and they only filled partial ballast since they didn't exactly know how it worked. No plug and play either. This is all just my opinion so some people might love them. Coming from a 2008 'bu I was t impressed with the quality at all.

Malibu #1 with Nautique a very close second.

Then all the rest not a Matercraft fan at all.

I would only own the top 2.

I will say Malibu, Nautique, and Mastercraft when it comes to the classics I like all 3.

Looks: Malibu

Performance: I think they are all the same. Hole shot, top speed...

Wake: what boat manufacturer has the most pro records for all water sport?

Quality for price: Malibu then Axis.

Before I was old enough to buy a boat, I wanted a Ski Nautique CB for the longest time, but could never get my dad to buy one. When Malibu made the Corvette Bu I was hooked on the looks and the engine. Friend had a Tige CB, was a good boat and skied well. While camping got a pull from a guy with a 88 Supra CB with a 454, nice boat, interesting pylon, terrible ski wake. Also got to barefoot off the boom for the first time with the same boat but a 351W that was his brothers.

Nautique probably wins in performance when considering 3 event and wake. Their SAN's before the G series were so rampy, and the G series is just ridiculous.

Malibu wins in the best boat when all things are considered

Mastercraft has great quality, but their way overpriced, probably to attempt to put them on the same level of nautique

Tige, Centurion, and Supra still seem to be chasing the big 3, but I like what I have seen in their wake/surf boats.

Regardless, I will always buy a malibu

- I think things improved a lot in about 2004 with Gorilla Fins, advanced props & engines. Biggest flaw over the years was anything they used from Metcraft Industries.

I have questions about this statement. I haven't driven one with the Gorilla fins so I can't comment on the improved handling (though I have zero complaints with my regular fins which is why I didn't think it was necessary to upgrade). But props and engines?! Malibu went downhill big time on engine selection from 2006-2009. 2004 was no better than 2002-2003 for motors, 2005 was a bit of an improvement. As for props, what did Malibu really do different? Seems the only V-drive props they have offered this century are the Acme 381, 537, 1939 and 1235 (which is the high altitude option).

I'm a fan of MB sports newer models. I really like the gravity filled ballast system, although I think they need to improve upon it a little. I think those boats are great value for what you get.

I almost got one before I got my VLX actually but wasn't keen on the tower etc.. still a fan though

I felt the same way until I test drove one and for me I felt the finish out was just not the same as what I come to expect from a boat after owning a Malibu. The other thing was how Malibu drives, out of all the boat I tested NON compared to how a Malibu handles. But they are nice boats.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Tend to agree with most on Mastercraft. Over priced and generally bloated hull design. Good friend of mine has been behind a Prostar 190 for years; one pull behind the TXi and he's in the market for a Response! Have skied behind a Supra over the 90s and 2000s and found the wakes a bit hard but otherwise a solid boat. Malibu, Nautique, MC, Supra, the rest.

How did they go downhill in engine selection? You could get the HH which was plenty for VLX and overkill for VTX and you could get the 8.1(torque monster) in the larger boats.

I have questions about this statement. I haven't driven one with the Gorilla fins so I can't comment on the improved handling (though I have zero complaints with my regular fins which is why I didn't think it was necessary to upgrade). But props and engines?! Malibu went downhill big time on engine selection from 2006-2009. 2004 was no better than 2002-2003 for motors, 2005 was a bit of an improvement. As for props, what did Malibu really do different? Seems the only V-drive props they have offered this century are the Acme 381, 537, 1939 and 1235 (which is the high altitude option).

It's been a while since I've driven both an early 2k VLX & a post 2004 VLX / Vride back to back. But when I was test driving boats I recall the two were night & day difference.

The Monsoon went up in HP in those years... from 325 to 335 to 340 & finally 350. Maybe it's just a number to make buyers feel better. Or maybe the seat of the pants can actually feel it.

As for props, I'm thinking the props were around but weren't as common as now days. Or maybe I'm baked. I'm going to have to go drive an early VLX again sometime soon to back this up.

I do know that a lot of boarders weight these boats to unreal weights. I can't stand the way the boat performs when their like that. If we're doing a show & doing a hot pickup or Around the World, that boat just isn't cutting it. Even with 1200 lbs in my Vride, it still has good holeshot & turns like it's on rails.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

How did they go downhill in engine selection? You could get the HH which was plenty for VLX and overkill for VTX and you could get the 8.1(torque monster) in the larger boats.

In 2006 they reduced it to 4 motors - LCR, Monsoon (which are very similar), Hammerhead and the Big Block, dumping the Black Scorpion and LS1 from the previous year. They also went from offering a GEN-III SBC from 2000-2005 to only offering GEN-I SBC's and a BBC from '06-'09. 2004 had 8 different motors to choose from (though a couple weren't very good choices).

The Monsoon went up in HP in those years... from 325 to 335 to 340 & finally 350. Maybe it's just a number to make buyers feel better. Or maybe the seat of the pants can actually feel it.

I'm betting a lot of that is numbers marketing. Put on a dyno I'd bet good money the 325 Monsoon vs 350 Monsoon are within 10-15HP tops...something you aren't going to really notice. Auto manufactures do it all the time - why should Indmar be any different? Make a slight change and call it a HP bump.

Used to ride behind a '05 Moomba, '02 Sanger V-210 and a 90's PS 195. These days we spend most of our time behind our Vlx, board and surf. We also ride behind a '08 Sanger V-215 and surf a '03 MC X-30.

Malibu is my favorite. Loved the looks of the last generation X Stars. If I didn't own a malibu, I'd have one of them. Sanger builts a very solid boat, I really enjoy the 215 wake. I think Skier's Choice is a great company, although I didn't like the wake as much.

Never been in a Nautique. I do like the pre-G-series looks. My kids seem to like every Tige they see.

I like whatever boat I'm riding on or behind....With that said if money wasn't an option I would own a fleet of different boats. For wakeboarding/surfing it would be a Malibu Wakestter 247. I don't really ski (well) but I would love a closed bow, low freeboard Sanger direct drive with the 6.2 engine and no tower!

I don't lile the looks of Tige or Centurian boats...don't care for many of the Mastercraft x series or Nautique wake boats from about 2005 til the new g series. I like the classic looks. Supra, Moomba, Malibu, Sanger, etc...I'll pass on funky towers and crazy layouts

Sent from my GSIII

One thing I can say about the Axis is it does feel a little chincy next to a new Malibu. I jumped from a new VLX into an A-22 at my local dealer the otherday and really noticed a difference in fit and finish / materials used on the interior. BUT, to me that is what the Axis is all about. Less money, and the same (ish) performance, you have to save that money somewhere in the build. I'm hoping to catch a ride on both this summer.

Edited by Levi900RR

It's hard to sacrifice good interior materials just to save some money. You want the boat to look good a long time. I guess you just have to spend the money. No such thing as a affordable ski boat.

No such thing as a affordable ski boat.

Depends on what you want... You can get a sick SKI boat for 10 G's, you can get a nice wake boat for 20 G's, you can get a REALLY nice wake boat for 35G's and if you want something totally instane, than yes you have to chuck 50+ K

• Like 1

Axis...Axis...any first impressions

mine was fantastic...only reason I sold was wife said I had to consolidate the response and vdrive so got a VTX. Axis wakes are up there with any manufacturer. Ask chattwake about how his SAN 230 compared. If what you're after is performance and wakes, there is no beating it.

It seems like more of a "purist's" boat to me. You are only buying for the performance, not the bling. But when you think about it, isn't that the big reason we buy wakeboats, for the wakes?

I'd say :

Tier 1

Mastercraft and Correct Craft

Tier 1.1

Malibu. Great boat just not blinged out as the first two, and that's a good thing but the bling has a lot of craftsmanship. The first two are just over the top.

Tier 2

Supra and tige

Tier 2.5

Moomba, Axis, Centurion, Mb

Tier 3

Epic and The rest..

This is not from a wake perspective purely my opinion based on innovation, design, craftsmanship, and quality.

Edited by Indyxc