Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Possible Injuries from Wakeboarding?

Afun

I just started wakeboarding a few months ago because my son is just not into wakesurfing.

I do have to say that the adrenaline rush is something else and does not compare to wakesurfing. I'm not quite wake to wake just yet but I'm having a blast. I still love wakesurfing but wakeboarding is definitely growing on me.

Afun, life is too short not to try something new. Take it easy and you'll be fine.

I tried getting pulled at 18mph initially but I think it makes it harder to learn.

I do have to say that the adrenaline rush is something else and does not compare to wakesurfing. I'm not quite wake to wake just yet but I'm having a blast. I still love wakesurfing but wakeboarding is definitely growing on me.

DEMO9ASK....if you are looking for an adrenaline rush...COME OVER TO THE DARK SIDE........TRY BAREFOOTING.... :footing:

Best thing I ever did re wakeboard injuries and taking unexpected big diggers was to spend a week at the boarding school. Not that I got that much better in a week (or ever LOL), but listening to everyone be coached for a week provided a really good understanding of the fundamentals to continue to work on every trip out. Also makes it fairly easy to see my own poor form in video.

Best thing I ever did re wakeboard injuries and taking unexpected big diggers was to spend a week at the boarding school. Not that I got that much better in a week (or ever LOL), but listening to everyone be coached for a week provided a really good understanding of the fundamentals to continue to work on every trip out. Also makes it fairly easy to see my own poor form in video.

Couldn't agree more.

RE....Wakeboarding....wakeskating....////.........My 24 yr old son started off wakeboarding...(boots in bindings like snow ski ).....then progressed to wakeskating....sneakers on a board......involving ( kill yourself tricks)......the Beauty of not having feet strapped in.if something goes wrong...your feet usually wont sustain ankle injury..(..the feet usually get twisted if something goes wrong if in a binding.. thus..sustaining probable foot injuries.........looking at both........wakeskating probably better as far as your feet are concerned...........He is in Taiwan in a winch wakeskating comp at present........any wakeskating fans ....look up Lotus Wake Park Taiwan.......Cheers

That's a bit too extreme for me.

DEMO9ASK

have Dare2GoBare teach you how to barefoot this way.....it is near IMPOSSIBLE to get hurt while in a swing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VW7UI0RECgA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAwguOJy2GA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvbHEhPJzIw

He lives up your way....

JB

Edited by JB-FOOT
  • 5 years later...

I partially tore my ear three weeks ago.  My 13 year old daughter and her friend were learning how to get "pop", and she's like "You should see my dad do this.  Dad, show us a good wake-to-wake jump".  I've been footing and trick skiing all year, and pulling wake boarders, haven't really thought to use good water for wake boarding for myself.  So in my first run I loosen up a bit, slide around some, pop off both sides a couple of times to get a feeling, etc.  Then I go waaayyy out into the flats, turn and hold that heel side edge hard into wake.  It's a great jump, tail grab, and I'm far out into the other flats and came down, bounced, and caught that toe edge.  WHAM.  I'm glad I turned my head to the side before impact.  Climb on to the boat and get them back out there, with some "don't do what I just did" and laughter.  Later when we are done I'm showering up and felt a sting behind my ear, and sure enough my wife confirmed a 1.5" tear from bending that ear the wrong way.  Good stuff.