Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2013 VLX Hinged Ice Chest Cooler Project

I am doing the same mo and took out the staples yesterday and will go to Tap to get the starboard this week. Will I need to get a special staple gun to staple into the Starboard? I have one of those gun type staplers but was not sure if that would penetrate the starboard. If not I may need the excuse to get a better one:)

• Like 1

I just did a hinge mod on mine last night. I took a different route - i copied what was done on the cushion on the opposite side because it bugged me that they didn't open the same way. Really really easy mod to do. I did it in about 15 minutes....

1 - I bought a 30" stainless piano hinge from Lowe's and #10x1 1/2 stainless screws.

2 - i removed the little black spacers from the bottom of the seat. I screwed the hinge to the front of the seat base with one screw. I made sure to match the other side by allowing the hinge to overhang slightly.

3 - I then laid the cushion on it and marked the underside of the cushion where the hinge lined up.

4 - i had my wife hold the cushion while I drilled the remaining screws in place.

5 - had a Longboard lager and enjoyed my new hinged seat.

I just did a hinge mod on mine last night. I took a different route - i copied what was done on the cushion on the opposite side because it bugged me that they didn't open the same way. Really really easy mod to do. I did it in about 15 minutes....

1 - I bought a 30" stainless piano hinge from Lowe's and #10x1 1/2 stainless screws.

2 - i removed the little black spacers from the bottom of the seat. I screwed the hinge to the front of the seat base with one screw. I made sure to match the other side by allowing the hinge to overhang slightly.

3 - I then laid the cushion on it and marked the underside of the cushion where the hinge lined up.

4 - i had my wife hold the cushion while I drilled the remaining screws in place.

5 - had a Longboard lager and enjoyed my new hinged seat.

Sounds like another way to do it. I personally like how it opens from the back to make accessing the ice chest as easy possible... I do not like how Malibu did the port side storage hinge, you are always looking over the cushion to grab something, it looks strange to me and it slams down easily with no strut. I wanted people to be able to see what they are grabbing out of the cooler as easily as possible. Did you use gas strut to keep the cushion open or closed when needed? We often have Dinner on the water, will set the table up and be opening and closing the cooler multiple times.

To each is own, thanks for posting up another options for people to use. Your method is definitely easier and requires less hardware.

Can you post up some pics of the cushion open and closed for others to view?

Edited by Fman

Yes screws for the starboard. I was asking about re-attaching the upholstery with staples.

I had an upholstry shop do mine, maybe someone else can chime in about your question, sorry, I cant help you there.

Fman, I am looking at this mod on my 09 LSV. Looks like the same process just a longer seat. I was thinking about putting gas shacks on each end. Did you have any problems with the back of the cushion hitting the seat back and not allowing the seat to come up all of the way. It sure does not look like you did by the pics you posted. We really to not like the way that Malibu put the hinge assembly on the front of the seat cushion, but I am sure they had a reason. Thanks for all of the R&D

CB

Fman, I am looking at this mod on my 09 LSV. Looks like the same process just a longer seat. I was thinking about putting gas shacks on each end. Did you have any problems with the back of the cushion hitting the seat back and not allowing the seat to come up all of the way. It sure does not look like you did by the pics you posted. We really to not like the way that Malibu put the hinge assembly on the front of the seat cushion t I am sure they had a reason. Thanks for all of the R&D

CB

This mod is done exactly this way on the new LSV from the factory. I dont think you need two struts, one will be plenty. The cushion will open up further than the picture shows if you wanted to set it higher with the strut. This is why the piano hinge is placed on the backside of the seat cushion, cushion opens away from backside.

As bama mentioned, you can buy the hinge at home depot, and order the strut online. No need to go through your dealer. You will probably save a few bucks this way.

I think as far north as we are getting this year may be Naci or San Antonio. wanted to head back to shasta, but that looks like it will have to wait until next year with all the weddings and things happening

When are you coming down?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IF, we get there, we have a wedding about 40 mins from there I believe the 14th of sept. so the plan would be to drag the boat up and either hit the water before of after the wedding for a few days

IF, we get there, we have a wedding about 40 mins from there I believe the 14th of sept. so the plan would be to drag the boat up and either hit the water before of after the wedding for a few days

Cool, let me know. Would love to hang. We keep the boat up at Lake LBJ.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• 2 years later...

I started this project yesterday. Bought the strut, SS angle brackets, and gas lift at Go2Marine.

SKU 469619 Sea Dog SS angle bracket $6.10 ea, 2 per pack

SKU 260520 Naturlift Gas lift 10"-7" 20 lb, $16.37

SKU Sierra lift bracket, $12.32

I ordered the hinge at Amazon for $18.76

I ordered the starboard per FMANs dimensions from TAP Plastics $10 plus $9.47 shipping.

I took out all the staple with a small screw driver. This is somewhat tedious as there are hundreds of staples. I took out all the staples but you only need to take off the back and the sides. There are two pieces of foam. One on the front side of the roping that connects the two pieces of vinyl, and the one on the back side. The foam on mine was glued to the starboard so I had to remove it by pushing a SS ruler between the starboard and the foam. The foam is actually two types. The top is about 1" of soft foam, then 2" of stiffer foam. You will need to cut off the 2" stiffer foam to make room for the new piece. Leave the 1" top piece of foam as it will cover the top of the new plastic insert.

I used 6 #8 by 2" SS screws to attach the starboard to the bottom plate. I then installed four 1.5" L brackets with #8 x 3/4" screws to the new insert, and #8 x 1/2" SS screws to the bottom starboard. The bottom starboard is only 1/2" thick.

Since I only bought 3/4" long screws, need to head back to Orchard for ore hardware.

Picture of the new starboard insert with the angle brackets attached. Foam has been removed from the rear portion of the seat.

post-28072-0-29876100-1434811420_thumb.j

I did Fmans cooler mod. Best mode I have done to date. I'd like to do my center back seat cushion next. Need to look for a hinge that disconnects so the seat can be removed for bigger services. I want to have it flip up like the port side seat so it will be an easier install.