Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

05 Vride surf set up- Best it gets for this hull imho.

Lance B. Johnson

Here are a couple pics of my setup with the same hull. I have a 750 in the trunk replacing the hard tank, about 400 lbs tube sac filled under the long seat on the surf side, stock midship tank full, and nothing in the bow. Two people on board, the driver and one passenger sitting on surf side. Pretty decent wake for the amount of ballast. Prop is an OJ475. EDIT: Forgot to add, floating wedge down, set on higher of the two settings.

SurfWave.jpg

Surfing1.jpg

Edited by jtrovato

Here are a couple pics of my setup with the same hull. I have a 750 in the trunk replacing the hard tank, about 400 lbs tube sac filled under the long seat on the surf side, stock midship tank full, and nothing in the bow. Two people on board, the driver and one passenger sitting on surf side. Pretty decent wake for the amount of ballast. Prop is an OJ475. EDIT: Forgot to add, floating wedge down, set on higher of the two settings.

SurfWave.jpg

Surfing1.jpg

The floating wedge has settings?

The floating wedge has settings?

There are two bolts on the plate that stop the wedge from going down all the way against the hull. There are two sets of holes you can put these bolts in, one closer to the hull and another just a little further out. Mine came from the factory mounted closer to the hull, I moved them out so the wedge does not go as far down.

jtrovato, nice looking wave, that first pic is really impressive from a vRide. No bow ballast, I assume your speed is 12+...?

Thanks, speed is actually set at 10.6-10.8 on the Malibu cruise, but never been GPS verified so I can't tell you for sure what it is.

Edited by jtrovato

Nice wave! The person riding also looks like they know what they are doing. What board do you (or the rider) use? Just curious. -Marc

The second picture is me and I'm about 6'1" to give you an idea of wave height. It's about upper thigh to just below the waist on me when I'm in the trough.

There are two bolts on the plate that stop the wedge from going down all the way against the hull. There are two sets of holes you can put these bolts in, one closer to the hull and another just a little further out. Mine came from the factory mounted closer to the hull, I moved them out so the wedge does not go as far down.

Thanks, speed is actually set at 10.6-10.8 on the Malibu cruise, but never been GPS verified so I can't tell you for sure what it is.

Interesting, did you ever use the wedge in the other settings? Anyone have comparison results between the two settings.

Nice wave! The person riding also looks like they know what they are doing. What board do you (or the rider) use? Just curious. -Marc

That's me, this was a few years ago and that board is a Hyperlite Broadcast 5.4. I still have it for people that are just learning, but also have a Slasher ProX 5.0 that I use now. Much lighter and faster than the Broadcast, but also much more fragile being a fiberglass board, hence why I let everyone that's new to the sport use the cheapo board!

Interesting, did you ever use the wedge in the other settings? Anyone have comparison results between the two settings.

I can only compare the wakeboard wake as I hadn't ever wakesurfed before when I made the switch. It made the wakeboard wake a little more lippy when I moved the bolts out.

Sorry, I meant Ruffdog... but was stuck on page 1 of the thread and only realized there were two pages after I posted. With that said, your wave looks very nice as well. The rider (you) also looks to being doing a fine job. Ruffdog's rider is pretty damn good. -Marc

That's me, this was a few years ago and that board is a Hyperlite Broadcast 5.4. I still have it for people that are just learning, but also have a Slasher ProX 5.0 that I use now. Much lighter and faster than the Broadcast, but also much more fragile being a fiberglass board, hence why I let everyone that's new to the sport use the cheapo board!

I picked up a prototype Slasher 4'6" and have used it once. It's not the final production model and has three fins and a fish tail versus the 4 fin rounded look.

I'm making a lot of changes to my boat so I couldn't tell if I liked the board or not. (it might have been the wave) I ended up pearling the board a lot more than expected. So far my favorite board is an inland surfer blue lake and a double D custom board. Hoping I can get this Slasher dialed in.

A friend of mine. He is fun to watch for sure.

I need some better pics and time to put them up. Life is hectic right now.

We should just call this the "vRide surf setup thread" at this point because we're all piling on! Lots of great ideas in here.

1. going to try adjusting my wedge

2. going to upgrade my prop

I'll post my setup and pics after this weekend when we get a few people out. :beer:

Edited by rennis

Sorry, I meant Ruffdog... but was stuck on page 1 of the thread and only realized there were two pages after I posted. With that said, your wave looks very nice as well. The rider (you) also looks to being doing a fine job. Ruffdog's rider is pretty damn good. -Marc

This makes sense...I was going to say, I'm pretty decent, but not getting air like the other guy you were referring to!

I bought this boat last fall and I haven't had a chance to try it yet. Here's my current setup, let me know what you think.

750 in each rear locker.

~400lbs bow filler sac

Now I usually go boating with at least 8 people total, so one rider and 7 ballasts, weighing it at about 1200lbs or so.

That should be enough to surf right?

Will I still need a port side sac with all those people?

I'm even thinking that the bow sac won't be filled since I'll have enough people. Is that true?

I have an 1100lbs Jumbo sac. Should I install that instead of the 750 in the port locker since most of us ride regular?

I bought this boat last fall and I haven't had a chance to try it yet. Here's my current setup, let me know what you think.

750 in each rear locker.

~400lbs bow filler sac

Now I usually go boating with at least 8 people total, so one rider and 7 ballasts, weighing it at about 1200lbs or so.

I'm even thinking that the bow sac won't be filled since I'll have enough people. Is that true?

I have an 1100lbs Jumbo sac. Should I install that instead of the 750 in the port locker since most of us ride regular?

IMHO you should surf fine with that setup. Probably don't need the port side sack.

About the bow weight. I have never been successful without bow weight. I know others in this thread say they setup like that, but I personally don't like it.

You could experiment with the 750 VS 1100 and get back to us. I am not sure that an 1100 fills all the way and I really don't need to put that much in my boat. I am really happy the way it is and water is splashing up on the sunpad already while underway.

Called wakemakers today and sounds like the 750lb tankbuster kit is the way to go. Wanted to add another 500 and replace the pump we lost last year, but it was cheaper to get a pachage price of a 750 and pump.

So this is going to the setup we will try for surfing:

750 rear locker

500 mid ship ballast

500 front bag

750 on seat or floor(for days we dont have a full boat)

floating wedge down

Called wakemakers today and sounds like the 750lb tankbuster kit is the way to go. Wanted to add another 500 and replace the pump we lost last year, but it was cheaper to get a pachage price of a 750 and pump.

750 rear locker

500 mid ship ballast

500 front bag

floating wedge down

Looks good! What prop?

If you read through the thread that's what it took for my boat. I changed to a OJ 532 and made all the difference.

Other people have suggested every boats different so ymmv.

750 in each rear locker.

~400lbs bow filler sac

Oh yeah prop is acme 1235!

750 rear locker

500 mid ship ballast

500 front bag

floating wedge down

did you buy the tankbuster kit? I went that route but got all the parts from Bakes...and saved some money actually.

If you end up doing that upgrade, feel free to email me. I just did it two weeks ago and can give you some pointers.

did you buy the tankbuster kit? I went that route but got all the parts from Bakes...and saved some money actually.

If you end up doing that upgrade, feel free to email me. I just did it two weeks ago and can give you some pointers.

You took the words right out of my mouth as I have been trying to figure out what fittings, how much hose, etc. I need to do it myself without the kit. There's a group buy through buywake.com so I'm hoping I can go that way and save some money.

Sending pm shortly.

One thing I did was run the drains out opposite sides of the boat. This prevents the constant siphon from the boat being listed. A problem I had at first. Just buy some extra hose.