Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Go Naked? Or No?

vigwilson

I too have had this discussion.. In my own head, so not sure if that classifies as a discussion...

I wonder about discoloration or anything.. would the entire boat need to be buffed and recoated or anything?

Also, concerned because I don't have color that would 'pop'.

What do you all think?

https://docs.google.com/a/telcoasset.com/file/d/0B30VVqBaHtXqU01VWFpJdXZoSUE/edit?usp=sharing

Edited by Bosth

Doesn't look like your pics are shared to everyone Bosth. It's making me login.

I think even a boat with more subtle colors looks better naked than with the graphics. Lets face it, the graphics are typically very trendy & get outdated really quickly. Even plain white boats get loads of compliments around here.

I used a heat gun to peel the old decals off & then wiped it down with GooGone (w/ citrus). Then rewaxed the boat. There was a very subtle shadow & it buffed out pretty easily. Hasn't shown back up yet.

I have done the same thing to my Chevy Avalanche, a Dodge Dakota & a Mastercraft Prostar. I just don't see the point in having Z71 or 4x4 in big bold letters across the rig.

I will have to look at the picture settings.

Thanks for the tips. I have my fiberglass touching up a scuff on the nose right now.. I will ask him to take a look and see if he will peel them off and buff/wax it for me.

You make some very valid points about all the logos too. Thanks.

I paid a nice premium for a Malibu. I don't want no uninformed landlubbers mistaking it for some run of the mill Cobalt or something.....

Just kidding, you guys have me seriously considering removing the stickies.

Did it. And love it. They can pay me if they want to advertise on my boat.

20130217_103006_zps129b07d8.jpg

Everytime I see your boat Bill, it makes me want to do it to mine. In fact I might just do that.

• Like 1

My boat showed very little discoloration after I removed mine from my 2000. My boat is always kept in doors and I'm sure that helped. I used a $12 heat gun from Harbor Freight and Goof Off.

I'm sure it did Simo, well after a long day I didn't get the chance to remove the decals yet. I spent the day loading all my gear in the boat, vacuuming it out, scrubbing vinyl and 303'ing. Wet sanded and buffed/waxed out a 2.5 foot dock rash compliments of previous owner and bolting on the rhino lined fenders. So needless to say just ran out of time, and it's time to hit the books. All these boats look awesome in here!

I like some of the graphics looks at the beginning. But when they get outdated and/cpscratched, I've removed them. For my 2013 txi I'm leaving them on this year. Next year to be determined. Ill prob get bored of the look and then take them off.

For my 2001, I really like the naked look. I removed the about 5 years ago after they started getting a little worn and torn. It's been easier to clean and polish and it looks slick.

For me I found that the drivers side in particular was bad (lots of skiers using boom). Notated how u try with kids and beginners on the boom at the side of the boat, skis knock the side. With the decals the scuffs couldn't be fixed. Naked a couple of good waxes and an occasional buff and voila, no marks.

Can't go too wrong as long as you like the results. At the end of the day, you get to take the boat home -- not the someone that second guesses your look.

post-20147-0-67553200-1366860898_thumb.j

• Like 1

I'm definitely a fan of the original malibu logo with the sun, but the new ones that are much like jungle art and what not I'm not to interested in. I am purchasing new decals for my Response this coming week. I just find the boat looks a little too bland without anything there. It just adds a little somethin' somethin'.

• Like 2

This is always an option, just a simple Malibu sticker towards the stern. I put mine on the white above the rail becuase I wanted it out of the red for polishing/waxing.

post-8942-0-50519700-1366914659_thumb.jp

I kept the wakesetter towards the stearn I would definately do something about the reg numbers. No matter what you decide about the graphics.

I am still diggin my classic Mailbu Sun, But I do need to remove the beat up lettering across the stern and maybe the word sunsetter on the sides at the back. Any suggestions on what to put across the stern or try to replace what's on there

F7CC6AC1-61CE-47BD-B39E-69FC8F14496F-127

2F69FDBA-1D35-4453-9E94-5E641E65C95B-535

I want to go naked, but my wife keeps telling me NO! Wait, what are we talking about?

For real though, the tribal sticker on my boat is starting to feel like a bad tattoo I got on spring break when I was 18. It's time is limited.

• Like 2