Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Stereo Help! Head Unit vs Equalizer

bwhitfield85

Murph what's the difference between the three.2 and the four.1 (which I did mention btw)?

(I mean obviously the difference is zero.9, but how are the two units different)

Edited by shawndoggy

Swapped out my WS420 with the new WS420SQ tonight. I upgraded for two reasons: 1. I wanted the ability to run tower/sub combo without running the boat speakers and 2. I wanted a single master volume knob. While my JBL head is wired in, I haven't used it since I installed the WS/HSE combo in 2010. I haven't really used the HSE for auto volume much but used it's knob as master volume a lot. The WS/HSE was great, but proved to be complicated to other folks behind the wheel.

I use a NewPotato TrueLink Auto for my Bluetooth.

HSE is sold to the man below! The 420 is available. The mic is intermittent, other than that it works flawlessly.

Install 2010

P7012004.JPG

Tonight

IMG_1895.JPG

Edited by CTSunsetter

Either front or rear, it's a fielder's choice. Just a full range output. You're going to pull all of the rcas to your amps to the EQ (front (cabin) rear (tower) and sub will come from the EQ directly).

SAk - on the recommendation of which set of RCA's, I agree with what Shawn is saying. Also make sure that your deck is not faded to the wrong set. I've seen a lot of tech calls arise from guys when they use the front set of RCA but they are faded to Rear. Hey I got no sound!

-Brian

• 3 years later...

I have replaced my headunit in my 2000 Malibu LSV with the Clarion EQS746.  It worka great for my purposes.  I would like to install it in the singl din space under the armrest though.  It is just a hole with a single din opening.  Anyone know of a kit or good solution for a successful install in this slot?  I have searched the Internet for a single din to half din kit but have found nothing.  I may try to fabricate something if nothing is available.  Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

23 minutes ago, newbie1000 said:

I have replaced my headunit in my 2000 Malibu LSV with the Clarion EQS746.  It worka great for my purposes.  I would like to install it in the singl din space under the armrest though.  It is just a hole with a single din opening.  Anyone know of a kit or good solution for a successful install in this slot?  I have searched the Internet for a single din to half din kit but have found nothing.  I may try to fabricate something if nothing is available.  Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

Not sure why you brought up a thread that is nearly 4 years old for this question...but don't put it under the armrest.  Awful, useless location.  Relocate it to under the dash.

IMG_4061_zps2sbagalo.jpg

DSC03945_zps3s9alpib.jpg

I apologize.  I am not familar with the protocol on posts and didn't want to start a new thread unnecessarily.  An under dash mount is certainly a good option.  My prefernece would be to have the eq out of the way though since I don't plan on adjusting it once I have it dialed in.  Any ideas on a location would be great.  Thanks!

2 minutes ago, newbie1000 said:

don't plan on adjusting it once I have it dialed in

There are better EQ's out there for this, than the clarion eqs746. Since you ditched the H/U you are going to want to use the fade and master volume on the 746 on a regular basis. Its such a hassle to reach under the armrest frequently. 

I know almost nothing about stereos so you are probably right.The eq has been "installed" for a couple years now but is basically hanging loose in the radio cavity.  I have been controlling the volume and music from my phone rather than the eq.   This has the added benefit of allowing me to use an app that adjusts volume based on gps speed.  I hate turning down the stereo everytime a rider falls.i also haven't felt the need to adjust volume between tower speakers and interior.  Sounds like I'm approaching it all wrong...  

9 hours ago, newbie1000 said:

I know almost nothing about stereos so you are probably right.The eq has been "installed" for a couple years now but is basically hanging loose in the radio cavity.  I have been controlling the volume and music from my phone rather than the eq.   This has the added benefit of allowing me to use an app that adjusts volume based on gps speed.  I hate turning down the stereo everytime a rider falls.i also haven't felt the need to adjust volume between tower speakers and interior.  Sounds like I'm approaching it all wrong...  

If having it hidden away works for you then great. 

I put one of these in my 2005 armrest hole. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00011KLIO/

It fit very well inside the metal sleeve and is sturdy.  Not sure if it is wide enough for the EQS746 though.  Maybe worth $9 to see.  If it fits you could use some double sided tape (the good black 3M stuff with red release backing) to secure the EQ to the box - or put screws through.

I know the EQS746 will fit in this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00032AZT6   

I have an ESQ746 in this on my pontoon - where I don't need quick access to volume control or fader or ability to have different EQ setting for front and rear.  I do not have this setup on the Malibu which has different requirements because it has rear facing surf speakers.

It may take some engineering to get it set into the arm rest hole since it does not come with adapter brackets like the UPK750.

Minnmarker, Thanks for the reply!  I bought the UPK750 with the idea that I would do as you suggest and mount the eqs746 in the pocket.  It is definitely not wide enough unfortunately. I have had my eye on the universal eq pocket but wasn't sure it would fit the EQS746 either.  All the reviews say it is too small for an eq.  I guess that is incorrect if it is working for you.  I am going to give it a try.  Thanks again!

I think that half din eq pocket is supposed to go under or over the eq to effectively take up the whole single din hole (eq being half din and pocket being half din).  

Seems like what you need to do, and what is not particularly easy on your boat, is remove that side trim panel and probably remove the metal din sleeve, and fab up a mouting system for the eq and pocket with a trim ring, then re-install the panel.  Not gonna be particularly easy.  It's been a while and I never had your particular boat, but did used to own a 2006 vride.  On that boat the armrest mounting position was never particularly sturdy.  I think you'd need to reinforce the area around the stereo hole with a back-mounted piece of abs or starboard (a baffle, essentially), and incorporate an L bracket that was drilled to accommodate the threaded holes on the side of your eq.  That would be the sturdiest way to get the mount solid, BUT it'd mean that the EQ would be "hard mounted" to the side trim panel and you'd be re-installing the panel with the EQ mounted (not the easiest system if you ever need to get access to the EQ again).

Like many, on my vride I ended up mounting the eq under the dash and installed the full din pocket in the arm rest.

Nowadays with many options for lighter sized USB charging ports, if i were going that way (full din pocket in armrest hole) I think I'd drill out the inside of the armrest pocket and mount a hidden usb charging port in there, and maybe a 3.5mm access port if that's how you are connecting to the eq, then you have a nice pocket for the phone.  Sounds like the phone is automatically controlling volume anyhow, so quick access isn't that important and you would still have quick access under the helm if you re-mounted your eq there.  

Apologies for longwinded semi-non-helpful response.

Edited by shawndoggy
1 hour ago, shawndoggy said:

I think that half din eq pocket is supposed to go under or over the eq to effectively take up the whole single din hole (eq being half din and pocket being half din).  

Seems like what you need to do, and what is not particularly easy on your boat, is remove that side trim panel and probably remove the metal din sleeve, and fab up a mouting system for the eq and pocket with a trim ring, then re-install the panel.  Not gonna be particularly easy.  It's been a while and I never had your particular boat, but did used to own a 2006 vride.  On that boat the armrest mounting position was never particularly sturdy.  I think you'd need to reinforce the area around the stereo hole with a back-mounted piece of abs or starboard (a baffle, essentially), and incorporate an L bracket that was drilled to accommodate the threaded holes on the side of your eq.  That would be the sturdiest way to get the mount solid, BUT it'd mean that the EQ would be "hard mounted" to the side trim panel and you'd be re-installing the panel with the EQ mounted (not the easiest system if you ever need to get access to the EQ again).

Like many, on my vride I ended up mounting the eq under the dash and installed the full din pocket in the arm rest.

Nowadays with many options for lighter sized USB charging ports, if i were going that way (full din pocket in armrest hole) I think I'd drill out the inside of the armrest pocket and mount a hidden usb charging port in there, and maybe a 3.5mm access port if that's how you are connecting to the eq, then you have a nice pocket for the phone.  Sounds like the phone is automatically controlling volume anyhow, so quick access isn't that important and you would still have quick access under the helm if you re-mounted your eq there.  

Apologies for longwinded semi-non-helpful response.

You are correct re the pocket but the EQ he is using will fit inside it.  It my be possible to stack 2 of the pockets on top of each other and engineer a way to fix them in the arm rest hole.  The stock HU is supported by a strap which holds the back end up.  You have to remove that screw before you can get the HU out.  Ask me how I know...  The front/top "frame" is not so strong so even though the EQ is lighter than a HU some back support is a good idea.  There are tons of DIN adapters etc. on Amazon. I think you should be able to do all this without removing the trim panel but it might be easier in the end to take it off.  Project time!

Also good idea about the USB charger.  They come in handy combinations that use the same mounting hole as a cig lighter outlet.  I have one that is a combo USB charger and 3mm jack mounted in the spot where the AUX input was for the stock HU.

Gentlemen,  Can't tell you how much I appreciate the ideas and support.  Parts are on order and I will post pics of the final result.  Don't expect a thing of beauty but hopefully I can help someone out that has similar wants/needs.  Best,  Matt 

• 9 months later...
On 1/5/2017 at 10:34 PM, newbie1000 said:

Gentlemen,  Can't tell you how much I appreciate the ideas and support.  Parts are on order and I will post pics of the final result.  Don't expect a thing of beauty but hopefully I can help someone out that has similar wants/needs.  Best,  Matt 

Did you ever finish this project or post pictures?