Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2006 D3 Nomad vs. X5

Addictedto6

I rode GT's X5 last weekend after getting in a calibration run on my ski. I don't know the fin settings or where the boots were mounted but, they were double approaches.

I fell at the 2 ball on my first attempt at 28' off. On my pullout for the gates I knew the ski had much more resistence to turning left than I was used to and then the 2 ball showed my that it really wanted to turn right, more than likely just fin/boot set up items. After that fall I went straight through 2@38 without a hitch.

MY observations are that this is a very well behaved ski that is easy enough to get cross course to be formidable in the course. It turns well and finishes the turn with authority. It's easy to ride and keep out in front and didn't seemed to mind being pushed hard. It was easy to ride it just behind the boat and didn't show any tendancies to want to throw me off. I could easily ride this ski.

Now for the very subtle differences I felt after getting back on my Carbonworx, the outlaw automatically starts to swing under me right after the second wake and this is pronounced coming into my offside. The C'worx seemed to do 35 and 38 while more in it's mid range while I had to put a bit more effort into those lengths with the X5.

Bottom line is the X5 is a very good ski and would be a good choice for anyone looking to help their scores out or just to go out on open water and have a lot of fun rippin'.

Still really like the speed of the ski and overall performance.

Water is up to close to 70 now and my 22offs have not been smooth, especially ball 1. I need skisix's input Friday on my technique gates/pre-turn/turn and whether or not I should take some of the depth out of the fin. As I come out of 1, I feel like I'm getting slack and falling into the ball. Not sure if it's because I'm leaning back/tail turning, or if the ski is hestitating through the turn.

I have the fin at stock settings and I read 1 other person's comments in the water ski forum site that perhaps D3's stock depth setting is too deep.