Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Skiing to Course

Slider

i agree with Rod.  skip the gates until you are comfortable getting 6 buoys, then add them.  slow down too.

These guys are right! Slow down and forget the gates for now. Just try to make six consistent turns. Even if you have to ski inside the balls. Start at 15 off-28 or 29 MPH. Run through the course each time working your way further and further out toward the balls. Again, focus on six good constant turns even if they are inside the balls. You want to develop balance between your strong and weak side turns and timing. You will learn quickly what it takes to create more angle and get you across the wake faster and before you know it you will be running all six balls.

Once you are comfortable with six good turns, start practicing with the gates. Pull out to the left of the boat (as far as you can to the point where 2,4 and 6 balls line up in your sight) and watch the right entry gate. When it passes the nose of the boat, that is about the time to initiate your turn to the gates. I focus on the right hand gate ball. My goal is to go just inside it or to hit it.

Ski strong! Arms close and chest out. You can't win the fight against the boat, but good strong balanced posture makes everything easier.

Have fun!

listen (read) closely to what rip said. also when skiing a pass, if you miss a ball, continue skiing in a rhythm. don't just hang onto the rope for the next pass...

At 28mph and 15 off I can ski the whole course gates and all. I just feel that my balance, form and timing needs lots of work. I will be studying this thread as I progress and hitting you guys up at the lakes for advice.

Joe

Once you can run the course with gates (like you're doing) it's just a matter of time on the water and correcting bad habits. Keep in mind, it's easier to work on and correct bad habits without the pressure of that little red ball so don't give up free skiing. Especially early in the season when your not in "ski shape", spend time outside of the course as well and work on linking 16-20 turns, then 6 will seem like nothing. :)

Great!!

Now just don't try to increase your speed too quickly. If you have perfect pass, just bump the R factor or add a little to the crew weight setting. Don't jump from 28 to 30 and 30 to 32 and so on. As NorCaliBu said, 1 MPH is a big jump. Even at 15 off.

I'm old, but I start the season at 32 with normal R factor and crew weight. I move to 34 with Zero R factor and zero crew weight, then bump the settings over a few outings.

As you move forward, boot location and fin settings will come into play. If you tell us what you are experiencing we can give you some suggested changes to improve. As an example, if the ski feels unstable under you, you can move the fin back to make the ski feel longer and more stable. But this move can impact other areas like your ability to bring the ski around.

I am old school. Some of the other Crew may have some more new school suggestions.

Rip

Slider, Perhaps I can explain a drill that will help you work on your form and technique of crossing the wakes. As I'm sure everyone will agree, The pull the skier makes from one ball to another is what ultimately the most important factor to having success in the course. Free skiing for so many years, its very easy to develop bad habits, and not even know it until you're in the course, so here is a drill that is taught at nearly every ski school across the country. I personally learned it from Chris Sullivan.

I feel everyone has done an excellent job of describing what position your body should be in during the pull, so go ahead and follow their advice. But what you need to do is shorten your rope to 28 off (normally the yellow section). Have your driver, drive a straight boat path. What your going to do is pull out to one side of the boat, and literally try to pull yourself up until your next to the driver. This will take a tremendous amount of work, but this simulates your pull across the wake, your leaning really hard against the boat. Now at this point you want to REALLY focus on your body position, and just hold it. Stay there and just focus on every aspect of what your body is doing in relation to what the ski is doing.

Ideally, you should do this the length of the course (have the driver hug the opposite side of the boat path that your pulling), and try to hold your "path" outside of the buoys (1,3,5 & 2,4,6). Do this for both sides (on & offside pulls). What this drill does it incorporates your body position into muscle memory. This way, when you ski the course, your pulling position should feel natural.

***Disclaimer*** This drill will cause excessive wear and tear on your forearms. I take no responsibilty when you can't pick up a pencil to write the next day.

Or..don't do this at the beginning of your boating day, unless thats all you plan to do. Its a great great drill, but really kicks your butt.

Slider, Perhaps I can explain a drill that will help you work on your form and technique of crossing the wakes.  As I'm sure everyone will agree, The pull the skier makes from one ball to another is what ultimately the most important factor to having success in the course.  Free skiing for so many years, its very easy to develop bad habits, and not even know it until you're in the course, so here is a drill that is taught at nearly every ski school across the country. I personally learned it from Chris Sullivan.

I feel everyone has done an excellent job of describing what position your body should be in during the pull, so go ahead and follow their advice.  But what you need to do is shorten your rope to 28 off (normally the yellow section).  Have your driver, drive a straight boat path.  What your going to do is pull out to one side of the boat, and literally try to pull yourself up until your next to the driver. This will take a tremendous amount of work, but this simulates your pull across the wake, your leaning really hard against the boat.  Now at this point you want to REALLY focus on your body position, and just hold it.  Stay there and just focus on every aspect of what your body is doing in relation to what the ski is doing. 

Ideally, you should do this the length of the course (have the driver hug the opposite side of the boat path that your pulling), and try to hold your "path" outside of the buoys (1,3,5 & 2,4,6).  Do this for both sides (on & offside pulls).  What this drill does it incorporates your body position into muscle memory.  This way, when you ski the course, your pulling position should feel natural. 

***Disclaimer*** This drill will cause excessive wear and tear on your forearms.  I take no responsibilty when you can't pick up a pencil to write the next day. 

Or..don't do this at the beginning of your boating day, unless thats all you plan to do.  Its a great great drill, but really kicks your butt.

Great exercise! I do this drill every time I free ski.