Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New 23 for 2014?!?!

huskey87

Haved you tried changing th price to $79,999.00?

I have a friend who has been flipping boats similar to what you have been doing for the better part of 10 years now. He has recently had the same expierience that you are having with boats in the upper price ranges. His new deal is he does not want to crest the 60K mark for used boats. This guy is very good salesman /trade professional and I trust his expertise when it comes to private party sales. He does the same with cars/trucks all year long. At the 80k price point your market is pretty limited and most folks in that demographic will likely just go new if they do any research what so ever.

I am not saying the boat you rented is not indeed nice. I'm sure you eventually sell it, but 80k is not a "steal" to very many people regardless of what it is. We are also approaching the end of the season and most smart shoppers know the price will get lower the deeper we get into the off season.

I don't think it has anything to do with the price... Moreso to do with which boats are in highest demand.... Nearly regardless of the price.

No it's cool! I mean lets be real, it will sell eventually. It's a good looking boat that's basically new with a few nice upgrades and a neutral color scheme. Bluntly, I think people are sitting back waiting to see what the 14s bring to the table.

No it's cool! I mean lets be real, it will sell eventually. It's a good looking boat that's basically new with a few nice upgrades and a neutral color scheme. Bluntly, I think people are sitting back waiting to see what the 14s bring to the table.

Agreed. After the 14s come out it should sell quickly. Someone will see the value in it with all the upgrades/aftermarket additions.

Good news is the 14's sound like they have a lot of polarizing options that not everyone will think is an improvement (dash, surf seats, windshield, graphics.)

I can't decide whether I am hoping Malibu will knock it out of the park or leave me underwhelmed so I feel happier in my '13.

I don't think the general public is as focused on the new LSV as everyone around here is. Regardless of brand 80k is not a cheap boat, and supposedly the LSV is the best selling of the line, somehow that does not coordinate with Chatt's findings and what you are saying NY.

It will sell I'm sure. But time is money.I was just sharing someone's feelings that knows the private sale game VERY well. He kinda does it for a living. The fast sellers are under 60k. You have a larger audience.

As good a deal as I assumed Chatt could work ( I know I shouldn't assume but did) I would think its gonna have to be priced lower to get it sold quicker.

Considering the new model I would think in this area, 74k is a "sell it now" price.

I don't think the general public is as focused on the new LSV as everyone around here is. Regardless of brand 80k is not a cheap boat, and supposedly the LSV is the best selling of the line, somehow that does not coordinate with Chatt's findings and what you are saying NY.

It will sell I'm sure. But time is money.I was just sharing someone's feelings that knows the private sale game VERY well. He kinda does it for a living. The fast sellers are under 60k. You have a larger audience.

As good a deal as I assumed Chatt could work ( I know I shouldn't assume but did) I would think its gonna have to be priced lower to get it sold quicker.

Considering the new model I would think in this area, 74k is a "sell it now" price.

I don't think the new LSV will sell in the 74k to 80k range. You could forget about that right now.

Just the time of year Chatt. Patience, people are thinking about school, football and soccer camps...I have 2 of the nicest $50k Bu's right now, still can't believe I still have them...Scratch that, I've sold both of them, but financing fell through. If someone says, I have a few late pays. Don't take their deposit, keep it for sale :)

Edited by skurfer

I don't think the new LSV will sell in the 74k to 80k range. You could forget about that right now.

I didn't say that the "new" boat would sell for that, I meant price wise on his to sell now. Re-read . I was taking into consideration the fact that a "new" model is about to drop.

Never say never. You would be surprised the deals that come around every once in awhile.

That's all it is. Hanging back waiting for the new 14's to come out. The 3 Boob trailer is awesome, and a selling point to most. Your boat is worth more than 76k that someone brought up.

I will say that I agree with most of what people say on here. The boat is well worth what I'm asking, but it's going to take the right buyer at this time of year.

I gotta say, I'm with Bobby on this. Selling a used boat for $80k this time of year seems like a tough proposition. I'm not saying it's impossible, but I've done my share of boat selling recently (3 sales in the last 3 years) and every single boat has sold in February of the following season after being for sale the entire fall & winter. Generally it goes like this:

August & September - List boat for sale and immediately start getting a few calls. The leads are from OIB and they seem solid (asking all the right questions, prior boat owners, etc.). However, nobody is writing a check. I've found that folks are just not that motivated at this point in the year. Whether consciously or subconsciously they know they'll have to store it and make payments all winter, and they suspect the price will get better too.

October thru December - The phone calls stop and the boat sits. It's actually eerie how quiet it gets. You almost wonder if your ad disappeared. Nobody is thinking about boats during the Holidays. Nobody. It's not a coincidence that this is also the slowest (as in "dead") time of the year for actual boat dealers.

January - Boat show season! Folks go to the boat show and come away with sticker shock. Who knew a new inboard could be 6 figures?? So they go home and troll on OIB and BoatTrader looking for the "slightly used" bargain that looks as good as new. Phone starts ringing again. It takes a few weeks of nurturing several such leads, until finally one pops. By the time he gets his affairs in order, it's...

February - Boat goes to new owner!

I swear it's played out that way three years in a row for me, and none were anywhere near $80K. I know other people have sold boats in the Fall, but for me a boat sale in the Fall has proved to be about as elusive as a purple unicorn.

All that said, it only takes one guy and when he falls in love (easy to do with Chatt's boat), then it's all over.

i have sold 3 in 3 years. You are right, this time of year is a bit tougher. You post that boat in early spring and it will sell quickly.

I thought my LSV would sell quickly at 72k (compared to a new one at 86K). The color on my boat was not as pretty as others on the market that were selling. I had to drop the price to 68k to get people to bite. I still think that is due to the color because it was optioned out very well.

Here's the 24, I'm sure it's been posted, though: http://gettommys.com/2014-malibu-247-lsv/

On the 2014, I saw the list of options at the dealer. Some interesting ones were a horn to indicate that the surfgate was switching sides, lights on the surfgate, and faster actuators for the surfgate.

All of those options seem like a nice-to-have to me, especially the faster actuators if I wanted to really do a lot of transfers (which I am not good enough to do).

The new decals are fine as is the new windshield, although I like the older windshield very much.

Seating seems like a good option, although personally I think that will just become table stakes for everyone going forward.

Last, I am really excited about the 2014 racks, except the things are ridiculously expensive.

Regarding the MXZ's, I work inside inboard boat compartments all day, and there's no issue. Go work on a stupid I/O, if you want to complain about not being able to access something. We've installed ballast bags and there is actually room for too much aft ballast. What we need is a way to hide more ballast in the bow, or close off the walk-through for another tank forward.

As stated prior by others, the 23 LSV has been the nationwide best seller for a long time now. It was due for an upgrade, hence the model change. There are dealers that sell one 23 LSV for every other sale made. Regionally, there are always differences. Our market is TXi's and VTX's. The occasional 20-24MXZ, and few 23 LSV's all help, but they are nothing compared to TXi's and VTX's for us.

And if someone is not excited about a 2014 23 LSV, feel free to take a look at two used 23 LSV's that are available. We have a 2013 Orange 23 LSV surf machine and probably a 2012 23 LSV available. For their owners do want a 2014 Malibu 23 LSV.

Peter :)

• Like 2