Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

08 247 LSV seat config, help me decide

PyleDriver

You are looking for justification here to buy a boat that you truly have second thoughts about. If you wanted it and new it was the one for you you would have bought it already and wouldn't be asking are opinions. Cause really what does it matter what we think. Don't settle cause you want a boat so bad. There are lots out there and when you know it's right you will buy it straight away and not think twice. Just my opinion. Been there man. Good luck.

• Like 1

I also see you mention the hours on the two. I wouldn't put a lot of value on that. Both boats are low hours in my mind. I personally would pass as well as I think we would miss the wrap around seating.

Both have the 8.1

I for sure need the 8.1 at high altitude.

Not many 2008 big block 8.1 out there. I have been watching for two months. They either have a ton of hours or they are asking more then I want to pay. Both of these boats are way below book. Once the weather turns I will not find a clean 08 with 8.1 for this low.

I am actually ok with the functionality of the captain chairs and in fact for the amount of cruising we do I think it might be better. The seat swivels so you can still look back. Storage is not a issue. Both of these boats have a ton of storage.

I am not looking for justification I and just looking for good feedback to help make the decision. For instance I never thought about getting more people under the Bimini.

Thanks for all the feedback. Keep it coming. I am making my decision tomorrow. I need to be done with the boat shopping and get back to my day job LOL

Edited by PyleDriver

Personally I like the second boat more. I don't like the captains chairs. I am sure they are functional and all but that passenger helm storage is priceless IMO. Sure there is a lot of storage elsewhere but my biggest concern (when I looked at a 23LSV with captains chairs) was the amp and battery storage. I guess you could still mount them under the helm but now they will get kicked by passengers feet and in plain sight for on walkers at a dock. Outta sight outta mind..

Wife wanted a captains chair so she could easily face forward, so our 2009 247 has a captains chair. The comfort level riding in that seat facing forward compared to a bench seat is something we really prefer. The pop up bolster in the seat also makes it easier to see over the front for the passenger. We love it, but to each his own. On a smaller boat, the storage difference or number of total seats difference might matter. On a 247, neither has caused us any concern. We did order an XL bimini, but we were going to do that no matter what (it is hot in GA in the summer) Having had a captains chair on this malibu, and bench seats on the prior one, we will definitely order a captains chair on our next boat.

If it really bugs you, definitely don't do it. But having been in tons of malibus with tons of different options, my thought is you are going to have a blast no matter which one you buy, so I would buy the one that you personally like best overall.

You are looking for justification here to buy a boat that you truly have second thoughts about. If you wanted it and new it was the one for you you would have bought it already and wouldn't be asking are opinions. Cause really what does it matter what we think. Don't settle cause you want a boat so bad. There are lots out there and when you know it's right you will buy it straight away and not think twice. Just my opinion. Been there man. Good luck.

Honestly I think people are just different. There are tons of things everyone on this forum sacrificed by buying a malibu instead of a nautique or MC etc and you live just fine without them. Personally I never regret not having anything or wish I did. Some things would be nice but when I get out on the water I never wish I had more power or more space even though sometimes maybe that's exactly what I need. If I can cram 12 people into a VTX (and I have) I'm stoked to have 12 ppl in a VTX not thinking about an LSV. So to each his own. I agree if you really don't like it, don't get it. The fact that your asking says it's not the end of the world so get it and you'll find more to like about it than "regret". There is no "the one", Its boat there a dime a dozen and always replaceable.

• Like 2

IMO The captains chair is a deal breaker for me, bench seat all the way. Loss of storage as you can never have too much storage. When you invite your friends, they bring a bag and other stuff. If your into surfing and its not sacked out yet, chances are you will do it. Lose more storage space. Shae from the bimini seems to a favorite for some. You loose out on seating under it. I would consider resale. I don't think that is a popular option to have in a wakeboard boat. Right now you might think you will keep the boat forever but that will change. Atleast it did for me. I had my boat for 3 years and wanted to upgrade it to a newer boat. Its not that I needed to, I wanted too. Just my .02 , Good luck

Personally I like the second boat more. I don't like the captains chairs. I am sure they are functional and all but that passenger helm storage is priceless IMO. Sure there is a lot of storage elsewhere but my biggest concern (when I looked at a 23LSV with captains chairs) was the amp and battery storage. I guess you could still mount them under the helm but now they will get kicked by passengers feet and in plain sight for on walkers at a dock. Outta sight outta mind..

There is a footrest in front of the captain's chair and that stops people from putting their feet on the batteries and in the amp wiring and such. So I think that is a non-issue. I don't mind it on my buddy's 247, and I have long legs...but come to think of it, I always have the seat turned around to watch what is going on behind the boat. I guess I trust the driver.

Even when cruising, the seat is usually turned around to face the other passengers and to socialize. I guess you have the option to turn it forward, so it is the best of both worlds.

I went through the same thing as you are going through when I bought my 09 23 lsv last year. I found a smoking deal on a repo boat but it had the dual captains chair. It was almost a deal breaker for me but I ended up going for it. So now a summer later and everyone loves the second chair especially the wife when we cruise down the lake. Yes you lose the storage directly underneath the seat but the space where the amps and batteries go is still big. Yes you can add a second sub similar to under the helm which is what I'm doing this year.

Everyone says you lose 3 places to sit but unless your three tiny little girls you are not smashing into the corner. I say at the very most you might lose one spot in that corner.

I see this as preference thing. And like I said I was Leary but on a 247 I wouldn't even worry about it. It is a nice to cruise forward as a passenger.

Yes you can add a second sub similar to under the helm which is what I'm doing this year.

Yeah, that's what I'm talkin' about! Let the BOOOOM out!

(please share pics when you get it done)

K thanks again for all the feedback. I got the dealer with the two captain chairs to come down another $1k and I found a shop that will convert it for under $1k if I don't like the captain chair. I have another friend that converted his and it turned out just like stock. So I get the better boat and get the funds to fix it if I don't like it.

Mike

K thanks again for all the feedback. I got the dealer with the two captain chairs to come down another $1k and I found a shop that will convert it for under $1k if I don't like the captain chair. I have another friend that converted his and it turned out just like stock. So I get the better boat and get the funds to fix it if I don't like it.

Mike

Yayyyy!!!

I also wondered about simply changing to a wrap around seating. Some fiberglass work and a bit of vinyl should make it happen. I think if it could be done for 1k, my buddy might do it. Send me a PM if you are near St. George, Utah.

And then you have a captain's chair that you can probably sell for a few hundy as well.

Edited by TallRedRider

Mike

Good to hear, best of both worlds. Bet you're stocked now. That's a sweet looking boat. So when do you get it?

We are very very excited. I have been working on buying a LSV 247 for years. I rented one in Lake Powell about 3 years ago and fell in love. I have had mostly performance boats so looking forward to having something the whole family can enjoy. My last boat was a 28 Daytona Eliminator that did 145mph, not necessarily the best family boat. I am worried a little about owning a boat that can only go 40 mph LOL i don't do drugs but I am thinking I might need to start so I feel like 40 mph is fast :-) Wow we are cruising now...man...cool....cough.. cough.. :-)

I was trying to pick up the boat this weekend but I can not pull it off. So I guess it will have to wait after spring break, which is this next week for us. Heading to Phoenix for some warmth with the fam. After that I can head out and get it. This next week is going to be super painful, I cant wait to see her in person.

Mike

I like the idea of having the passenger chair AND the funds to change it out if you are not happy.

Hmmm, I can think of all kinds of situations to apply that reasoning to.

It's going to be a long week!