Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Window Tint? What is a reasonable price?

Parrothead

I have had three tinters say they could do my 2007 VLX. Three times I have pulled the windshields off and each time they have not been able to do it. I also would love to find someone in WA who could actually do it.

On another note, my brother has a 2008 LSV with limo tinted glass. He is interested in trading his for lighter tint or maybe even stock clear. We both are on Lake Tapps. If anyone local is interested, PM me and I'll hook you guys up.

Edited by Lgndracer
  • 2 weeks later...

Dalt it seems that no one in Washington has the skill. So. Cal can do it Arizona can do it. Texas can do it. Why not the North West? Seems to be a lack of skill. If you find some one who can do it let me know, myself and a few others will line up.

I have another appointment for Friday. Protint in Murfreesboro is going to give it a shot. I told him 2 have already tried and failed. He still wants to try.

Still have not heard if the completed jobs are 100% crease free.

Friday guy couldn't wait to prove his local competition was not as skilled as he. As soon as I dropped it off Thurs Afternoon he jumped right on it. Called me 2 hours later and said he failed too. Strike 3 for me. I'll let Parrothead give a couple guys in his area a go at it with his boat.

• 9 months later...

Couldn't tint the 06 so now going to try it on my 2012. Bet they can do these with no problem. Who wants to guess what this will cost. Some prices for the 06 were up to $350, Hope the easier 2012 model is less.

Just had mine done for $180. The guy came to my house and knew his stuff. I took the windshield out after reading the forums and realizing how easy it was so that I could tighten the dash speaker. It wasn't part of the deal but it worked out well. He formed the tint to the curves by heating on the outside of the windshield then applied to the inside. It was interesting to watch.

$100 bucks, OK my buddy does this for a living and he only charged me for material. He did my 1998VLX and did a great job. He did make a comment that if you use a high quality tint then jobs like these are not as difficult. He used a 3M titanium film, I am sure there is more info on this product that I am not aware of. Anyone in SW Missouri. Ultimate Auto Trim, Tony has been tinting windows for 25 years. "Shameless Plug"

Good Luck

CB[/

Did you have To remove the windshield ? Is Tony in Springfield area?

just want to put a warning out there.... one I learned the hard way.

watch these tint clowns and their razor blades they cut and shape the tint with.....

Those "window razors" .... the ones they cut and slice the tint with will scratch the h3ll out of your windshields and glass. For Certain.

the tempered glass on cars and trucks is different than whats on our boats...so they think they can do the same as they do and every time they score the tint to cut it you can get a scratch right down your windshield. yep, nitemare scenario.

Also, their heat and steam guns.... that they shape and bend the tint with are HOT. lay one of those down on vinyl and watch what happens.

Dont ask me how I know this^^^. Had to go thru an 8-step recovery process to get past it lol, on my last boat when it was BRAND new. Needs to be a tint guy with HIGH END BOAT EXPERIENCE. Pay the extra $100..

Edited by nyryan2001

^^^^ Valid points. Boats often have much softer glass than cars, so the normal film trimming techniques can be hazardous.

The most experienced automotive film technician can get into real trouble on a boat. They must be well initiated on boats and most are unlikely to admit that they aren't. Ask a lot of questions. Run from the lowest price as that's a sure sign of desperation and of someone who really doesn't know the extra time and film that will be wasted on a boat.

David - which location and who do I ask for at your previous employer....LOL

I'm not sure about all three of the film technicians they have because I haven't inquired. I have had specific conversations with Daniel in the past. He definitely knows boats and did countless boat film projects on Lake Texoma.

Start by asking Odin about Daniel. When a local euro car dealer has a CEO customer that is beyond hyper critical they bring the car to Daniel.

• 2 weeks later...