Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

fly high pro x 750's

Chia

I went out a couple of times last week and forgot the camera both times :blush: Sorry about that. I'll get pics soon. Here's how I'm set up:

- I'm using the top two openings only. The bottom one is plugged.

- For filling, I have a rule pump for each bag attached to the hull and then the hose goes to the forward hole in the bag. The sacs come with a hose adapter, so all I needed was a male hose end to attach to my existing hose.

- For draining, I have a Rule pump for each bag that is directly screwed into the bag(the threads match). The hose attached to this pump goes out the side of the boat. It also allows to bag to purp and lets me know when it's full(like the factory setup). I used the back hole(closest to the transom) for draining so that I get all of the water out due to the tilt of the boat while cruising.

Here's what I've learned so far:

- The bags virtually fill the entire compartment.

- The plastic engine cover panels pop out on the bottom every time. Not a big deal since the engine mounts prevent the panels from going in too far. I'm going to reinforce the panels with aluminum bars and add a new aluminum channel on the floor.

- I took out some check valves on the fill hose, but will need to put them back in. Yesterday, I noticed that the water started to siphon back.

- You can use the third hole for draining, but it needs to be at the transom due to the tilt of the boat. You will also need to add a purp hose to the third hole. I've tried this method in the past and the bags drained better for me when I just used the two holes on top.

• 1 month later...

I forget where I saw it but someone was contemplating keeping the stock hard tanks above the floor and adding 12X12 sacks between the tanks and the engine wall. I like the tanks because I don't have to move all the junk around to fill bags...

Has anyone done this and is it worth the trouble???? Will adding 12X12's be enough to surf in an 04 VLX??? Or do I just say F-it and go with 750's???? 750 or 12X12 (260#) will only be "full" for surfing which may be 30% of the time...

Who was it that was going to use 750's and add a shelf or net above for storage??? RR maybe?

Pat

I was thinking about the netting & maybe it was RR that I was brainstorming with, I can't recall at the moment. Frankly, I've been trying hard to dial in the system that I haven't given that one any more thought. We'll see if it happens (both the netting & the dialing in Dontknow.gif).

Pat, Removing the hard tanks frees up a bunch of space in the trunk... think of all the stuff you could cary back there when you didn't want full ballast.

As for having to move stuff - there isn't much way around that. Lots of ballast takes lots of room. The 750's are huge though, and for my application, they were too big - causing the boat to be way too backend loaded. I prefer the 550's -