Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

5.3L or 6.2L tow vehicle?

timjame0719

Suburbans/Tahoes/Avalanches all have a different rear axle housing than the pickup trucks. It has coil spring and linkage mounts rather than leaf spring pads.

The '99-'06 trucks had rear discs with internal drum parking brakes. Speculation online is that they changed some of the trucks back to rear drums in '07 because of some parking brake issues (and cost) but left some discs on trucks with larger engines for towing.

I know the axle coil vs. leaf in the lineup, but that doesn’t predicate that they must be one or the other.

I looked at an ’08 LS 1500 truck 4wd in the parking lot with the tow option, has all disc. Guess they aren’t consistent of whatever parts they need to use up perhaps. Never understood how drum brakes could be cheaper than disc….

Maybe something to do with a pickup having less weight in the rear than an SUV? The drums may be easier to control & keep from locking up? Just guessing.

Both my Av & Jakes Burb are equipped with the tow package. He just picked up a 2wd Tahoe recently too. Haven't looked at it too closely but he said it tows his XTI pretty easily & you know the hills he's going up & down around Shasta are pretty steep.

Found this info...I don't agree with the first sentence as I never experienced it.

The reason that GM went back to drums in the 1500 series Silverado's is that many consumers complained that the disk/disk system was a bit too touchy in certain conditions, most 1/2 ton trucks spend much of time operated unloaded or very lightly loaded, the disk brakes had a tendency to easily lock-up during panic stopping and the ABS and DRP systems were often at odds to compensate this.

To achieve a better balanced braking system engineers went large rear drums in the rear, in tests a lightly loaded Silverado 1500 will stop in a shorter distance then the previous rear disk brake models.

The Vortec Max wit the NHT Max Tow Package has rear disks to enable a higher maximum tow rating (10,500lbs) it was determined that buyers wanting this option were more likely to operate in heavier loaded conditions.

I drove both trucks up from Hirtz Bay.... no question which is more fun but ya the 5.3 will do fine.

The on ramp to 5 from Hirtz is where the 5.3 really shows it’s lack of power, just takes everything it has to get my boat up that hill. Though it’s not like it won’t get it up there just not as quickly as I’d like, that’s where the 8.1 just smiles.

• 3 weeks later...

FWIW, we just did a run from Houston to Dallas in the 6.2 without the boat. Wife drive up & I drove back. We got 18.8 on the way up and 19.2 on the way back in the 6.2 and stayed between 75-80 mhp. (speed limit is now 75)

The 6-speed transmission makes a big difference as we'd get mid-18 MPG in the 5.3 making the same trip.

I don't remember what mileage we got pulling the boat last season in the 6.2, but it's was just as good if not better than pulling with the 5.3 and has a noticeable improvement in the power.

Cheers

Found this info...I don't agree with the first sentence as I never experienced it.

The reason that GM went back to drums in the 1500 series Silverado's is that many consumers complained that the disk/disk system was a bit too touchy in certain conditions, most 1/2 ton trucks spend much of time operated unloaded or very lightly loaded, the disk brakes had a tendency to easily lock-up during panic stopping and the ABS and DRP systems were often at odds to compensate this.

To achieve a better balanced braking system engineers went large rear drums in the rear, in tests a lightly loaded Silverado 1500 will stop in a shorter distance then the previous rear disk brake models.

The Vortec Max wit the NHT Max Tow Package has rear disks to enable a higher maximum tow rating (10,500lbs) it was determined that buyers wanting this option were more likely to operate in heavier loaded conditions.

I drove both trucks up from Hirtz Bay.... no question which is more fun but ya the 5.3 will do fine.

The on ramp to 5 from Hirtz is where the 5.3 really shows it’s lack of power, just takes everything it has to get my boat up that hill. Though it’s not like it won’t get it up there just not as quickly as I’d like, that’s where the 8.1 just smiles.

What truck do you have that has the 8.1? Avalanche 2500? 2500HD?

I had a 2011 silverado crew cab z71 with 5.3L and 3.42 6 speed. It pulled fine. Then I traded it for a demo 2011 silverado crew cab z71 4x4 with 6.2l 3.42 6 speed. Holy cow is it amazing. It pulls the lsv with ease. With the 6.2 you also get disc all around, larger axle, larger rear end, upgraded front suspension components, and no cylinder deactivation.

I run premium year round. Mix of city/highway is probably 70/30 because I use it as my daily driver. I avg 16 mpg in city. On highway running 70 I get 18.5 to 19. I can get 10-11 when pulling the lsv.

Love the truck and would definitely recommend. I test drove a 2500 silverado with 6.0 and 3.73 rear end last week for fun. I prefer my 6.2l 1500 for my needs.

I had a 2011 silverado crew cab z71 with 5.3L and 3.42 6 speed. It pulled fine. Then I traded it for a demo 2011 silverado crew cab z71 4x4 with 6.2l 3.42 6 speed. Holy cow is it amazing. It pulls the lsv with ease. With the 6.2 you also get disc all around, larger axle, larger rear end, upgraded front suspension components, and no cylinder deactivation.

I run premium year round. Mix of city/highway is probably 70/30 because I use it as my daily driver. I avg 16 mpg in city. On highway running 70 I get 18.5 to 19. I can get 10-11 when pulling the lsv.

Love the truck and would definitely recommend. I test drove a 2500 silverado with 6.0 and 3.73 rear end last week for fun. I prefer my 6.2l 1500 for my needs.

My sister has an H2 with the 6.0L which we towed our LSV with a couple times last year... I still prefer the 6.2 as well.

Bamma

Does your 6.2 have the 2wd/4wd transfer case?

5.3 is plenty for a ski boat.

6.2 handles a wake boat just fine.

just my opinion, but I think a diesel for a wakeboard boat is a little overkill. but then again, I don't pull in mountains, etc. like many of you do.

if you are pulling ALOT, farming, ranching, oil field, construction, travel trailer, get the diesel.

it kinda funny to look at the trades that roll into the dealers here in central and western north dakota. especially the F250's and F350's. wow! they have been beaten.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Well I finally pulled the trigger. I decided the 5.3L was fine for me as most of my tows are local. The longer trips often are taken in our Diesel Pusher RV and I pull the boat with that. For the few other trips the 5.3 will do it. I just have to get used to losing a little power. I also so far unlike other flex fuel vehicles I have owned experienced no loss in fuel economy while using E85 in this truck and GM claims it runs stronger on it. I haven't run anything else but E85 so don't know if that part is true but I do know E85 here is $2.57/ga and I filled it up for $38.75 yesterday. I bought a 2013 GMC Sierra. Yes I know the new body comes out in a couple months but these are really cheap now as they are pushing them off the lots to make room for the new ones. I'd rather save a bunch of money right now than get a new body on the same frame. I got this truck for $12k off MSRP. It's a Z82 conversion that is GM authorized and fully warranted. So far I love it. I will post a picture when I get to my computer with the full site allowing me to do so. Thanks for all the advice!

Well I finally pulled the trigger. I decided the 5.3L was fine for me as most of my tows are local. The longer trips often are taken in our Diesel Pusher RV and I pull the boat with that. For the few other trips the 5.3 will do it. I just have to get used to losing a little power. I also so far unlike other flex fuel vehicles I have owned experienced no loss in fuel economy while using E85 in this truck and GM claims it runs stronger on it. I haven't run anything else but E85 so don't know if that part is true but I do know E85 here is $2.57/ga and I filled it up for $38.75 yesterday. I bought a 2013 GMC Sierra. Yes I know the new body comes out in a couple months but these are really cheap now as they are pushing them off the lots to make room for the new ones. I'd rather save a bunch of money right now than get a new body on the same frame. I got this truck for $12k off MSRP. It's a Z82 conversion that is GM authorized and fully warranted. So far I love it. I will post a picture when I get to my computer with the full site allowing me to do so. Thanks for all the advice!

Keep us posted on the E85 fuel mileage. I am really curious about that.

Really? The hourse power is rated higher with E85.

Could you show us where your seeing that? I just looked it up and it just listed one HP value I assume for gas?

Could you show us where your seeing that? I just looked it up and it just listed one HP value I assume for gas?

Check page 8 of the GMC trailering guide.

http://www.gmc.com/content/dam/GMC/global/master/nscwebsite/en/home/Tools/Download_A_Brochure/01_Images/2013_GMC_Trailering_Guide.pdf

I just got a 1500 and was surprised by that.

Really? The hourse power is rated higher with E85.

So let's assume that you can run timing a little hotter because you won't detonate because the alcohol fuel has a higher octane, and that in turn results in more power on a dyno. that still doesn't get around the fact that the fuel you burn to do that has less energy per gallon. You might make more power, but you will burn more fuel doing it.

• Like 2

Its just contrary to everything everyone that has driven any vehicle on E85 has told me, so I thought I would question it.

Heck its even contrary to common sense.

Maybe it's a government conspiracy to get us to use more corn.

I'm pretty sure it's a big ag conspiracy, but yeah, you are on to something. Last I heard it took more energy to make a gallon of ethanol than was in a gallon of ethanol.