Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

5.3L or 6.2L tow vehicle?

timjame0719

Anyone ever towed with a 4.6L F150?

My last company vehicle was an F150 with a 4.6L in it. That thing had enough trouble moving WITHOUT towing anything. Company has a bunch of '06 and '07 F150's with the 4.6L. Every single one of them has an incurable rough idle (yes, I had mine reflashed at the dealer and had an independent shop we used try to resolve it with no success). Luckily that seems to be the only motor issue...different story for the rest of the truck.

07-08? Get yourself good maintenance records on what ever you choose. Save an extra 6g for a supercharger kit. Then it will tow halfway decent. I was never impressed with the 5.4l/4r75e combo. Poor fuel mileage to boot. The advice to look at an 09 or newer with the 6spd is sage advice.

• Like 2

It was a blast, did many a sweet donut and figure 8's , but the trans held it back with antiquated gear ratios. The AOD/4R70 series came out in 1979. It was a great truck in that form , just not up to tow capabilities like the newer stuff. The stock Eco put it to shame with better ratio selection and lower peak torque rpm.

IMG_0126.jpg

It's a different feeling to spin brodies in a vehicle that long. I recommend everyone should try it.

• Like 1

It did, I put the charger on after 1500 miles though, I couldn't take it any longer. It just had not a low enough first gear ratio and too tall a 4th gear ratio. Even with 4:56's.

The thing I miss most , all the newer vehicles have too much damn safety built in with traction control, stability control, torque limiting, ect. It takes all the fun out of getting stupid and makes it damn near impossible no matter how much HP you have.

Such is life though. Ten years from now, driving your own vehicle will be a thing of the past. Kids born today won't know what a drivers license is and the thought of steering and pushing the gas will be considered rediculous.

It did, I put the charger on after 1500 miles though, I couldn't take it any longer. It just had not a low enough first gear ratio and too tall a 4th gear ratio. Even with 4:56's.

The thing I miss most , all the newer vehicles have too much damn safety built in with traction control, stability control, torque limiting, ect. It takes all the fun out of getting stupid and makes it damn near impossible no matter how much HP you have.

Such is life though. Ten years from now, driving your own vehicle will be a thing of the past. Kids born today won't know what a drivers license is and the thought of steering and pushing the gas will be considered rediculous.

No kidding!!

If you have a Ford with Advanced Trac, you can completely disable it and it makes driving the truck much more enjoyable. I know in my 2011 F150 EB, if you push the traction control button to turn off the traction control, it's still enabled. It seems like the traction control kicks back in after the first slip event and then Advanced Trac starts applying brakes for you....super annoying.

If you hold the traction control button for 5 seconds, Advanced Trac turns off. If you do this under 35 MPH, you need to do it again over 35 MPH or it will kick back in. Makes it feel more like it should that way.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I have had the chance to test drive a few trucks - liked the ride of a 2005 Sierra Z71 the most. It has the 5.3L, but from some the post Ive been reading through should do fine pulling my boat.

Shawndoggy - I have not had a chance to drive the Nissan yet. Havent found any 4x4 in my area in my price range.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I have had the chance to test drive a few trucks - liked the ride of a 2005 Sierra Z71 the most. It has the 5.3L, but from some the post Ive been reading through should do fine pulling my boat.

Shawndoggy - I have not had a chance to drive the Nissan yet. Havent found any 4x4 in my area in my price range.

You can get the 6.0 in the Sierra that year as well.

I looked at Titan's for about 10 seconds until I read about all the rear end problems they had in the mid 2000s. Just something to keep in mind if you end up going that route.

I looked at Titan's for about 10 seconds until I read about all the rear end problems they had in the mid 2000s. Just something to keep in mind if you end up going that route.

I think if you were looking at 06 and up you'd be fine. The one good thing about the fact that the truck has been around for 10 years is that they've certainly had time to get the kinks worked out.

• Like 1

I know this thread is a 5.3L vs 6.2L, but I have pretty much narrowed my search down to a Chevy or or Sierra (4x4) with either the 5.3 or 6.0. Been looking at gas mpg and towing. I feel like since it is flat there and I would be staying in the area most of the time, the 6.0 may be overkill. Looks like the benifit to the 6.0 is that it gets the same mpg towing as regular riding so if I was towing a good bit may be worth it. With all the feedback and research ive done, looks like the 5.3 can handle the weight of the A22 and should get "okay" gas milage as a DD.

Now just got to find the right truck in the right color with the right maintenance history. Here we go......

Thanks again for everyone's feedback

If you decide to go new. Next weekend might be a good time to buy. http://247wallst.com/autos/2014/02/08/chevy-offers-huge-silverado-discounts-after-poor-sales/

Interesting article. You would think if GM banked on Silverado sales so much, they would have been a little more innovative instead of taking a conservative approach with their new offering. I like the GMC with the 6.2. Wonder how cheap I could get one?

Interesting article. You would think if GM banked on Silverado sales so much, they would have been a little more innovative instead of taking a conservative approach with their new offering. I like the GMC with the 6.2. Wonder how cheap I could get one?

Do you have a Costco acct? You can check prices there. ANd their website should have all the current rebates.